LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

True Duals After X-Mas - Need Suggestions Now

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

one setup i would love to see on here would be 2.5 duals with a x pipe into borla stingers. not a whole lot of f bodys with that setup
Old 11-28-2009, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely love my 2.5" setup with an x-pipe. It's not raspy at all, and surprisingly not all that loud until you go WOT. Any particular reason you want to run the exhaust out the back over the axel? That's a pain for the exhaust shop to do and will raise the price significantly over just dumping before the axel. It only cost me around $150 for my setup (excluding the xpipe) but including both bullet mufflers.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

In some states your car can't pass a visual, unless you have cats and go out the back to the original area where the exhaust exited. Some you can't even change the cats location at all. Just depends on the county or municipalities smog and inspection rules.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 11-28-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you dont need more then a duel 2.5" exhaust. theyll support well into the 500hp range. and like others have said here theirs better ground clearance. however if you have the ground clearance and you can snake the duel 3" wherever you want then id say go for it. even tho dont forget having a slower moving exhaust gas will hold you back from making power. 2.5" will move the exhaust faster then a 3"
Old 11-28-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you dont NEEED a crossover pipe really. i made 380 rwhp with my mods in sig. mild cam and STOCK LS1 intake. i now have an LS6 intake and should be close to 400 rwhp...again no crossover pipe, just 2.5 duals straight back with moroso spiral flos, under the axle.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
you dont NEEED a crossover pipe really. i made 380 rwhp with my mods in sig. mild cam and STOCK LS1 intake. i now have an LS6 intake and should be close to 400 rwhp...again no crossover pipe, just 2.5 duals straight back with moroso spiral flos, under the axle.
Congratz ... any idea what you made WITH the crossover?

Saying "you don't need it because I don't have one" doesn't mean anything.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look ay the numbers man....they are right there with what other cars make WITH it. all i was saying was you dont NEED it. a NEED is something you cant do without. you saying he needs it, is the same as saying his car will not run or work without it. will it help it? maybe. will it HURT it? not one bit. all i was saying is that a crossover pipe is not a necessity.

so yea, me saying that he doesnt need it does mean something....bc my car is proof that it DOESNT NEED it. it actually means more than you imply that it DOES need it
Old 11-28-2009, 03:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
look ay the numbers man....they are right there with what other cars make WITH it. all i was saying was you dont NEED it. a NEED is something you cant do without. you saying he needs it, is the same as saying his car will not run or work without it. will it help it? maybe. will it HURT it? not one bit. all i was saying is that a crossover pipe is not a necessity.

so yea, me saying that he doesnt need it does mean something....bc my car is proof that it DOESNT NEED it. it actually means more than you imply that it DOES need it
yet again, saying that your car DOESNT need it, because it makes power very similar to what other cars WITH a crossover make, doesn't mean your car wouldnt benefit from one.

comparing similar cars with similar bolt ons isn't an apples to apples comparison IMO... your shortblock could be in better shape than many others, which could be helping your numbers.

until I seen a back-to-back dyno proven run, or track pass on the same car comparing an exhaust with, and without a crossover, I wouldn't un-rule the fact that your car could still, infact, benefit from a crossover.

if nothing else, the exhaust tone would have to be much better. I know when I cut out the H-pipe on my '94 z-71, it went from sounding like a mustang at WOT, to sounding like a '70's model truck with 1 7/8" glasspacks at WOT.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhitePhoenix99
I absolutely love my 2.5" setup with an x-pipe. It's not raspy at all, and surprisingly not all that loud until you go WOT. Any particular reason you want to run the exhaust out the back over the axel? That's a pain for the exhaust shop to do and will raise the price significantly over just dumping before the axel. It only cost me around $150 for my setup (excluding the xpipe) but including both bullet mufflers.
I still have to take the car to emissions which means they need to be able to access the exhaust tail-pipe. Plus, I think it looks better.

Originally Posted by 1993 z28 f1
Hey:

In some states your car can't pass a visual, unless you have cats and go out the back to the original area where the exhaust exited. Some you can't even change the cats location at all. Just depends on the county or municipalities smog and inspection rules.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
I live in Tucson, so emissions aren't too crazy. They attempt to do visuals, but they have no clue what they are looking for. Both times I took my Z28 they looked on the wrong side of the car for the cat, and both times they marked that I had one - when I didn't.

As long as you can pass the sniffer, they'll pass you. That's why I'm going to use the cats. Hopefully the cats plus a little bit of denatured alcohol will make up for not having any of the other emissions hook ups.

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
you dont need more then a duel 2.5" exhaust. theyll support well into the 500hp range. and like others have said here theirs better ground clearance. however if you have the ground clearance and you can snake the duel 3" wherever you want then id say go for it. even tho dont forget having a slower moving exhaust gas will hold you back from making power. 2.5" will move the exhaust faster then a 3"
Nice information. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm canceling out the EGR and AIR, so cats are my only chance of passing emissions. So my plan was to have cutouts on each side right after the headers (before the cats), but some people are telling me it would be pointless/actually hurt power. I was just thinking it would be a good idea so I wouldn't have to run cats at the track.

What are your opinions on this?
Old 12-02-2009, 09:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Counted Out
I'm canceling out the EGR and AIR, so cats are my only chance of passing emissions. So my plan was to have cutouts on each side right after the headers (before the cats), but some people are telling me it would be pointless/actually hurt power. I was just thinking it would be a good idea so I wouldn't have to run cats at the track.

What are your opinions on this?
Causes more turbulance and clearance issues that it's worth.
I dynoed -7rwhp cutout closed VS no cutout (3" Hooker catback).
I dynoed +10 open vs closed
Which gives you a net of +3rwhp when open VS not having one at all.
What a waste of time/money.

After breaking a few e-cutouts and being generally annoyed with the sound, I removed my cutout alltogether.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by James Montigny
Causes more turbulance and clearance issues that it's worth.
I dynoed -7rwhp cutout closed VS no cutout (3" Hooker catback).
I dynoed +10 open vs closed
Which gives you a net of +3rwhp when open VS not having one at all.
What a waste of time/money.

After breaking a few e-cutouts and being generally annoyed with the sound, I removed my cutout alltogether.
But remember, I'll have cats. The cats are going to kill some power in the exhaust, so the gains might be slightly more in my case, right?

It's only $60 for the two cutouts, and I wouldn't need electric ones as they wouldn't be used much. But if it's absolutely not worth it, than I won't. I'd just hate to lose power because of those damn cats.

Quick Reply: True Duals After X-Mas - Need Suggestions Now