LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

reluctor wheel(CPS) keyway and hub q?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 08:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reluctor wheel(CPS) keyway and hub q?'s

I have a 97 trans am and I recently bought a motor from a 93-94 f-body, even though I was told it was from a 97 Z28!

Anyways, I have this reluctor wheel for the cps(crank position sensor) that is supposed to go on the crank, but the key in the crank is not long enough to hold onto the reluctor wheel because the earlier lt1 did not have cps sensor.

Can the longer key that accommodates the reluctor be bought from a dealer? And can the key that is in there now be removed? I've already installed the cam and set the timing, but the timing cover is still off, so it won't be too big of a deal to take the crank gear off. I know I've heard that I can disable the CPS once I get my pcm tuned, but I'd like to have it to know which cylinder is misfiring if a spark plug wire burns out.

Also, will the car run if I decide not to hook up the CPS beforel I get it tuned out? Also, I heard the hub on the earlier lt1 is longer than the 96-97's, but I already sold my old 97 engine and gave away one of the hubs not realizing that they were slightly different lengths. I don't even know which hub I have.

Anyone have some expertise to chime in here?

I'm really getting close to finishing my cc503 cam swap btw!
Old 12-05-2009, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Good question, i have a 96 SS with a 94' motor. i have been told that it will fire and run however i wont have a misfire monitor because of the crank position sensor.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

The crank key can easily be swapped with the correct one bought at the dealer. If you decided you did not want the CPS, you could use what you have one there with the early hub and no reluctor.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shbox
The crank key can easily be swapped with the correct one bought at the dealer. If you decided you did not want the CPS, you could use what you have one there with the early hub and no reluctor.
Thank you. Good info. I actually didn't realize the issue I had until I visited your website and saw the diagram of the different style crank keys.

BTW, what holds the hub in place? It it just pressure? It was a PITA to get off, but is it just the fact that it's on so tight what keeps it on?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

The hub is a friction fit and held on by the bolt. You can lightly oil it to help it go back on.

Quick Reply: reluctor wheel(CPS) keyway and hub q?'s