LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Were can I get a Fast System from?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Were can I get a Fast System from?

Im looking for a link of a fast system so i can see how much its going to cost me.

383 Le3 H/I/C want to spill the Fu(ker atleast 8500 so i need the right fast system ...

Thanks alot for the help really appreciate it

Nick
Old 12-06-2009, 03:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

www.fuelairspark.com

Although I would run Big Stuff 3

John Meaney developed Accel DFI AND Fast and has now moved on to develop BS3. It has a much better processor and you can get support staright from the source: John!

JMO

www.bigstuff3.com
Old 12-06-2009, 08:30 AM
Banned

spin it to at least 8500 rpm?

I see you noted an LE3 setup with your 383 and can't see you needing to be anywhere near that RPM.

I would look at the 24x Ls1 ECU conversion since it will more then handle your needs and find far more people and info to tune with.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Veteran

I saw an earlier post where you said the bottom end can spin that rpm!
Old 12-06-2009, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

If you're planning on spinning 8500RPM, you might want to consider something a little bigger than stock castings.
Even with LE-porting, you're really not going to be able to move enough air to make it worth your time/money.

Ported aftermarket castings and a well-designed custom cam are where you want to go long before you try to find a use for 8500RPM.

Last edited by James Montigny; 12-06-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

invest in heads first.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Some afrs might help but they will need to be atleast 210s or even some tfs 215s.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not even. At 8500 and those cubes he could use the new 235's.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's amazing how little you guys actually know!

There are hundreds of LT1's running Stock and Super Stock all over the country. One thing that they all have in common is that they run an aftermarket computer. The second is that they run an Optispark. The third would be that they pretty much all run in the tens (or better). The fourth is that they all run stock castings that have to hold the factory CC's when checked. And lastly, they all get turned pretty hard (7500+).

It kills me that this section is so in love with the latest gadgets that seem to add way more complexity to an already complicated platform. Have you guys noticed what the majority of the really fast LTX's are running for a computer?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by aug181983
Im looking for a link of a fast system so i can see how much its going to cost me.
I got mine from Jeff Warren at Warren Engines. He is a good guy and can also help on set-up. You can search his web site or search other dealers on the FAST site.

Good Luck,

Daren
Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Launching!

I want to keep my LE3 set up H/I/C....My goal is try to get the most out of this set up im running. The bottom end can handle up to 8900 RPM's. I dont know what my set up can handle " RPMS's " and dont want to switch anything up since im low on funds to be buying new heads/intake. Putting a LS1 set up isnt a bad idea since I can probably get everything under $600bucks from a guy that gets totaled 4 Gens.

How hard is it to do a LS1 set up on the car ?

Thanks again

Nick
Old 12-06-2009, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GIZMO
It's amazing how little you guys actually know!

There are hundreds of LT1's running Stock and Super Stock all over the country. One thing that they all have in common is that they run an aftermarket computer. The second is that they run an Optispark. The third would be that they pretty much all run in the tens (or better). The fourth is that they all run stock castings that have to hold the factory CC's when checked. And lastly, they all get turned pretty hard (7500+).

It kills me that this section is so in love with the latest gadgets that seem to add way more complexity to an already complicated platform. Have you guys noticed what the majority of the really fast LTX's are running for a computer?

You really think anyone in the SS/SE circuits would run stock heads and stock CC if the rulebook didn't require it?
They don't run tens because of some magic 1990-ERA computer and it certainly has
nothing to do with the optispark being the majesty of ignition technology,
they run tens (or better) because someone puts a lot of time into getting tolerances absolutely perfect.

SS/SE cars are NOT street cars, not are they weekend racer cars.
You can't simply take what works there and expect it to work everywhere.
Although many have tried ... and failed miserably.

The industry has come a long way since 1993-1997. Like it or not.

Now, on to the OP's issues...
I want to keep my LE3 set up H/I/C....My goal is try to get the most out of this set up im running. The bottom end can handle up to 8900 RPM's. I dont know what my set up can handle " RPMS's " and dont want to switch anything up since im low on funds to be buying new heads/intake. Putting a LS1 set up isnt a bad idea since I can probably get everything under $600bucks from a guy that gets totaled 4 Gens.

How hard is it to do a LS1 set up on the car ?

Thanks again

Nick
There's nothing at all wrong with trying to get the most out of your current setup.
But you're not going to find it at that RPM level and certainly not with a carb VS what you have now.
Sorry, that's just the way it is.

If you can find used LS1 PCM and ignition components (which isn't terribly difficult anymore) and are willing to do
some of the wiring repinning yourself, you can get away with that conversion for well under $1000.
EFI sells everything you need on their website including the terminators to repin your wiring harness.
The LS1 PCM will give you more RPM to play with and a faster computer, but don't expect miracles.
Maybe .15-.20 improvement in the 1/4 from being able to shift above 7500 and make slight improvements to the tune.

I recently pondered some of the same issues.
I ended up opting for a cam swap, the new one making more overall power than the old grind and doing so in a usable RPM range.
Drop LE an email or a phone call, he'll hook you up if you want something different. The LEx grinds are a few years old technology-wise.

Last edited by James Montigny; 12-06-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

OP, if you're keeping the LE3 setup I believe you are absolutely wasting your money doing ANYTHING w the stock ignition... It can support that setup just fine.

Now were you to switch to a solid roller setup you could probably get a cam big enough to warrant the extra rpms. But w the LE3 I would just focus on maximizing the setup you have to work with. No reason you cant be well into the 10's with the right suspension, setup, tuning, and seat time.

JMHO
Old 12-06-2009, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by James Montigny

You really think anyone in the SS/SE circuits would run stock heads and stock CC if the rulebook didn't require it?
They don't run tens because of some magic 1990-ERA computer and it certainly has
they run tens (or better) because someone puts a lot of time into getting tolerances absolutely perfect.

Well put. Kinda what I was thinking
Old 12-06-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

I didn't say that they were.

That wasn't my point. You guys made statements that are not based on fact. The fact is that stock castings that hold stock CC's can make decent HP at high RPM's. I would think that a nice set of ported stock heads would pick my junk up quite a bit! If this guy wants to turn his motor as high as stated he will need a lot of cam.

Really, do tell.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by James Montigny

Now, on to the OP's issues...

There's nothing at all wrong with trying to get the most out of your current setup.
But you're not going to find it at that RPM level and certainly not with a carb VS what you have now.
Sorry, that's just the way it is.

If you can find used LS1 PCM and ignition components (which isn't terribly difficult anymore) and are willing to do
some of the wiring repinning yourself, you can get away with that conversion for well under $1000.
EFI sells everything you need on their website including the terminators to repin your wiring harness.
The LS1 PCM will give you more RPM to play with and a faster computer, but don't expect miracles.
Maybe .15-.20 improvement in the 1/4 from being able to shift above 7500 and make slight improvements to the tune.
I recently pondered some of the same issues.
I ended up opting for a cam swap, the new one making more overall power than the old grind and doing so in a usable RPM range.
Drop LE an email or a phone call, he'll hook you up if you want something different. The LEx grinds are a few years old technology-wise.
Damn that sucks ......The cam I have now Lloyd says is perfect even after getting his new cam machine thing or something . The cam is a 238/240/592/592/112 . Im just fishing around trying to see what to do next with my set up too max it out . I figure maybe changing the Pcm but if thats all im going to get Fu(k that. My goal is 10.90 on motor and a 300 shot of juice so i can say HI to 9's

Which means my car is going to be a Dog on motor since its going to be tuned for Nos Right? Meaning my car will probably be doing 11.50 on motor and lets say 9.80 on a 300 shot .

Or is there something I can do now ?

thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

10.90s on the motor shouldn't be a huge issue with a decent suspension, even with a full-weight car.
I have a similar cam going into my 383, should easily make 10-15hp more than the 236/248 I had in there last
(made 480ish though a 4000 stall and a broken 10bolt).

It doesn't have to be a dog on the motor, it's just a matter of having a safe
N/A tune but not pulling timing when the n20 system is not armed.

300 shot huh? should be a fun ride.

Damn that sucks ......The cam I have now Lloyd says is perfect even after getting his new cam machine thing or something . The cam is a 238/240/592/592/112 . Im just fishing around trying to see what to do next with my set up too max it out . I figure maybe changing the Pcm but if thats all im going to get Fu(k that. My goal is 10.90 or better on motor with a 300 shot set up.

which means my car is going to be a Dog on motor since its set up for Nos Right?

Or is there something I can do now ?

thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Launching!

4k stall,12bolt,Qa1's,Bmr everything else Full suspen. car weighs Id say 31-3200 alone. I can get it tuned for motor and always pull timimg out with a Msd Dig. 6 myself right. Can I preset the Dig. 6 to be set up so the minute I activate the Nos the Dig. 6 will activate also. Its because im a street racer and I never know if im going to have to spray on someone or not thats why....I just dont want to have to spray if i dont have to.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

That car should see low 11's high 10s just with that setup u have N/A so what else do you want from it????
Old 12-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Launching!

Im just trying to figure out if it would be a better route tossing in a Ls1 pcm or fast system but now reading what James Montigny said gaining .15-.20 in the 1/4 it aint even worth it changing all the **** over....

Quick Reply: Were can I get a Fast System from?