LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Keyless entry / alarm

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Keyless entry / alarm

I wrecked my 96 SS and I picked up a 97 Z28. There's alot of my 96 that is still in great shape and I will be swapping over. I'm curious if I can swap over my keyless entry / alarm receiver from the 96 to the 97. The dude I got the 97 from didn't have the remote anymore or maybe didn't ever have it, and wasn't sure if there was an alarm or not. He said it would sometimes set off an alarm but he just stopped it by putting the key in the ignition. So, I'm assuming there is one and he was just missing the transmitter. I will be trying this out regardless but, just wondering if anyone knows the answer ahead of time of if I can just use my old transmitter/receiver in the 97 without any security light issues and what not. thanks
Old 12-16-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 96' and 97' keyless modules should be the same. You will find it under the passenger kick panel on the right, about the size of a small black book. As to the alarm, if it has one check for a horn under the hood and any type of valet switch as well in the cabin. Most of the time the alarm modules are located under the lower dash panel spliced into the wiring harness next to the steering column. Pull the panel off (one with the trunk button on it) and see if you see something in there that is not supposed to be -
Old 12-16-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The keyless entry, VATS and alarm are all going to be in the BCM (there is no separate keyless receiver like previous years). If you swap another BCM into the car, the key pellet will have to match the one you are swapping in. The BCM is not on the kick panel, it is attached to the HVAC housing under the RH side of the dash.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shbox
The keyless entry, VATS and alarm are all going to be in the BCM (there is no separate keyless receiver like previous years). If you swap another BCM into the car, the key pellet will have to match the one you are swapping in. The BCM is not on the kick panel, it is attached to the HVAC housing under the RH side of the dash.
Doh - my bad!!!! They must have changed it in 96' as my 95' was that way.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Doh - my bad!!!! They must have changed it in 96' as my 95' was that way.
yeah i don't think 95's have a BCM
Old 12-16-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Right. It all changed in 1996.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can any dealer make me an appropriate transmitter for the keyless entry / alarm from nothing other than me driving the car there with proof of ownership? Is is worth the money??? I have my old transmitter and I can just do a simple resistor bypass if thats the only holdup from swapping the BCM.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

any stereo shop that does alarms can swap it over and make it work, thats what i would do, but i hate electronics
Old 12-16-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm good with electronics, just haven't done to much with these cars other than stereo and lighting stuff. I'm capable of bypassing the key pellet if needed. If thats all I need to do for my BCM from the 96 to swap right in the 97 and allow me to use my old transmitter... that will probably be my route. I can always make a starter kill-switch for peace of mind later on.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If all you are missing is the remote you can reprogram the one from the 96 to work with your 97.

"Programming procedure:
Turn ignition switch to OFF position.
Remove RADIO fuse 17 from fuse block.
Cycle ignition switch from OFF to RUN three times within five seconds until the door locks and the hatch release cycle, indicating the Body Control Module is in the Programming Mode.
Press and hold BOTH LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on remote control door lock transmitter for 16 seconds.
Door locks will cycle once, confirming the transmitter code is programmed. The door locks must cycle completely to unlock before proceeding.
Any transmitter code that was previously programmed has been erased.
Body Control Module is now programmed to remote control door lock transmitter.
When programming the Body Control Module to match remote control door lock transmitters, the first transmitter code matched will be stored in memory unless a second remote control door lock transmitter is matched at the same time. If programming the Body Control Module to match a second transmitter, repeat step 4. This must be done before the RADIO fuse 17 is reinstalled.
Ignition switch to OFF.
Reinstall RADIO fuse 17 to fuse block.

NOTE: Always program both transmitters when replacing a lost or damaged transmitter. The first transmitter code programmed will always be in both memories until a second transmitter is programmed within the same sequence. "

shbox.com : Know it, remember it, live it
Old 12-16-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

SCHAAAAAWEEEEEEEET ! ! ! Much more conveniant! Thank you for that info.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:13 PM

Default Question about this programming

Originally Posted by madhatter
If all you are missing is the remote you can reprogram the one from the 96 to work with your 97.

"Programming procedure:
Turn ignition switch to OFF position.
Remove RADIO fuse 17 from fuse block.
Cycle ignition switch from OFF to RUN three times within five seconds until the door locks and the hatch release cycle, indicating the Body Control Module is in the Programming Mode.
Press and hold BOTH LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on remote control door lock transmitter for 16 seconds.
Door locks will cycle once, confirming the transmitter code is programmed. The door locks must cycle completely to unlock before proceeding.
Any transmitter code that was previously programmed has been erased.
Body Control Module is now programmed to remote control door lock transmitter.
When programming the Body Control Module to match remote control door lock transmitters, the first transmitter code matched will be stored in memory unless a second remote control door lock transmitter is matched at the same time. If programming the Body Control Module to match a second transmitter, repeat step 4. This must be done before the RADIO fuse 17 is reinstalled.
Ignition switch to OFF.
Reinstall RADIO fuse 17 to fuse block.

NOTE: Always program both transmitters when replacing a lost or damaged transmitter. The first transmitter code programmed will always be in both memories until a second transmitter is programmed within the same sequence. "

shbox.com : Know it, remember it, live it
Hi, I've just bought a 97 Transam and have the same problem in that I had no remote with the car; I've just bought a new remote and need to programme it.
I want to check that in following the programming sequence (specifically removing the radio fuse) will that cause me to lose the radio code as I do not know the original code.
Thanks
Andy
Old 03-07-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Will the remote from 1994 LT1 Camaro work with 1999 LS1 Camaro?

If not, is programming a new remote bought from GM dealer going to work following the above procedure for a 1999 LS1 Camaro?

Quick Reply: Keyless entry / alarm