LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Roll bar or NO roll bar....that is the question????

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 01:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The real question is do you drive on the street alot and have passengers regularly. I don't enjoy my car on the street anymore due to the possibility of catastrophic head injury from my roll bar even if in a minor accident. Many rollbar guys preach safety but give no thought to the street part of a street/strip build. I no longer want my wife to ride with me, forget about kids. I'll probably end up cutting mine out eventually. If I had to do it over I would get a bolt-in for track days only and hope I didn't get caught over the main hoop welding issue. Good luck with your decision,

Larry
Old 12-30-2009, 01:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No kids or rear passengers and not much street time. If I put in a cage the rear seat will be out permenatly
Old 12-30-2009, 01:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AChotrod
No kids or rear passengers and not much street time. If I put in a cage the rear seat will be out permenatly
LOL, mine's in the garage wrapped in plastic.
There's really no point in putting them back in with a rollbar installed.
I actually have more cargo room this way

I only carry one (adult) passenger at a time anyhow.
The kids are banned from my car until they're big enough to sit in the front seat safely.

The driver's side swingout is usually in the trunk when I'm on the street.
I put it in at the track.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I hear you about your concerns...

This is how I look at it myself...I was once worried about hacking the car up because of the rarity and the mileage. Then I figured no matter how much it may potentially be worth one day, I still won't sell it. So whether the car is worth $500 or $500k in 40 years, it's still going to be in my garage. Considering that, I might as well build it the way I want it and enjoy it.

I would do the cage for your own sake. I don't particularly like cages for street driving but I wouldn't want to risk my life at the track. I have hit oil once doing about 90-95mph that the track people completely missed and I almost went into the wall. Even at a lower ET or MPH level you can still hit water, oil, antifreeze etc. and go into the wall.

BTW, how did you find out the build# for your car? I haven't been able to find that out for mine.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
I hear you about your concerns...

This is how I look at it myself...I was once worried about hacking the car up because of the rarity and the mileage. Then I figured no matter how much it may potentially be worth one day, I still won't sell it. So whether the car is worth $500 or $500k in 40 years, it's still going to be in my garage. Considering that, I might as well build it the way I want it and enjoy it.

I would do the cage for your own sake. I don't particularly like cages for street driving but I wouldn't want to risk my life at the track. I have hit oil once doing about 90-95mph that the track people completely missed and I almost went into the wall. Even at a lower ET or MPH level you can still hit water, oil, antifreeze etc. and go into the wall.

BTW, how did you find out the build# for your car? I haven't been able to find that out for mine.
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
Old 12-30-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

I'm in the same situation as you man. Car is 1 of 524 built in 96 and 1 of 113 black WS6 Formulas. I REALLY don't want to put a cage in it. But with the 383 and a 200 shot on top of it, I will need a cage.

I have sat many a nights wondering about my car, debating if I want to put a cage in it or not. But this is the way I see it. NOTHING in the car is stock anymore. The motor, front suspension, rear suspension, tranny, rear end, hell even the middle console is out of a newer F body, on top of that I did not keep any of the stock parts. When I bought the car is was already modded, so really, how much is the car worth?

Being only 14 years old, the car is worth as much as any other Forumla on the road. It doesn't matter if it is 1 of 113 or 1 of 500,000, anyone wanting to buy it is just going to get you whatever "blue book" says on it. Maybe after another 10+ years or so they MIGHT be worth money. But this isn't the Golden Age of hot rods like the late 60's were. Those cars back then were a real 'First', not just a first of a specific type. Sadly enough, I really doubt our cars will be worth anymore than what they are now anytime in the future.

Besides, say in 20 years they are worth 100K, if I still have this car in 20 years, I'm pretty sure it will have a permanent home and will go with me to the grave. If I were to get rid of it, it would be within the next 5-10 years and I doubt the value of them would go up in that time.

For safety, put a cage in it. No one ever rides in the back of these things unless they are 8 or a midget. If me and you both go as fast as we want to, a wreck at those speeds would leave us with a different decision, do you want apple sauce or mashed potatoes fed through your tube today?
Old 12-30-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you looked at wolf? They have a kit that adds onto a chromoly six point roll bar. It's weld in, but might be an option for you. Live with the roll bar for a while and if your car gets faster or you are ok with a cage, move to it later on down the road. Just a thought.

Last edited by 355TurboLT1; 12-30-2009 at 02:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-30-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

And besides, the world is going to end in 2012 anyways!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Very true ^ we all gonna die, but hey Mike if you want I have some interior panels that are grey colored for your car. I can sell ya for dirt cheap, door panels and the back plastics if you dont want to **** up urs. lmk
Old 12-30-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

world is going to end might as well give it away for free
Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Rob shoot me a PM on the rear panels. I will start with a 6point and go from there. That should be ok at most of the events Ill run or tracks Ill visit. Does any one have some good pics of the rear bars throught the panels, and some over the rear seat seat style? Again anyone have an Idea on why bolt in cages are so much more expensive? its basically the same thing w/ bolt holes right?
Old 12-30-2009, 03:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
And besides, the world is going to end in 2012 anyways!!!
**** I got work to do!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

Do it, and wear a helmet when you drive you will be indestructable at 55mph!... maybe.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:03 PM
10 Second Club

Again anyone have an Idea on why bolt in cages are so much more expensive? its basically the same thing w/ bolt holes right?
A basic rollbar is just a bunch of bent tubing and some base plates thrown in a box and shipped to you. Even if you pay for jig notching, which means the tubing should be "hold and weld", it rarely is. When you pay for a bolt-in setup it is just that, set up to bolt in. You won't have to do any trimming or cutting. This costs time and labor for the maker so you pay for it on the front end rather than paying someone to install a weld-in on the back end of the deal. Plus bolt-ins come with more mounting plates to sandwich the floorboard and obviously bolts.

Here are a few shots of my rear bars right after I got it back from the shop but before I installed my interior. My fabricator changed the rear bars from going through the speaker holes to this area on the decklid. He said the rear wheel wells will flex a little and the area where he mounted is tied directly into the frame.

This was originally a Wolfe CM jig notched bar with swingouts. If I were you I would find a good local fabricator to build it for you. It will be cheaper and fit better. I'm not a fan of Wolfes swingouts and if I keep it I am changing to Chassisworks hinges and I wasn't happy with the fitment of the main hoop. I would have preferred it to tuck and contour to the headliner and sail panel better. Good luck,

Larry

Last edited by VIPRETR2; 12-30-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob shoot me a PM on the rear panels. I will start with a 6point and go from there. That should be ok at most of the events Ill run or tracks Ill visit. Does any one have some good pics of the rear bars throught the panels, and some over the rear seat seat style? Again anyone have an Idea on why bolt in cages are so much more expensive? its basically the same thing w/ bolt holes right?

Why do you need rear panels? My rear bars attach above the gas tank.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

Wolfe has 2 styles. I thought you had to cut them if you go though them, and If I cut holes I would want spares to do it on.
I also was thinking the weld ins would kinda be a slip fit then welded. Not just hold 2pcs together then weld em up.
Theres a local guy with a Wolf bolt in 6pt with a DS swing out, hes asking 600 for it. I was thinking about picking it up untill I just read your post about Wolfe

Last edited by AChotrod; 12-30-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't get swingouts, but my 6-pt Wolfe bar went in without any issues.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Wolfe has 2 styles. I thought you had to cut them if you go though them, and If I cut holes I would want spares to do it on.
I also was thinking the weld ins would kinda be a slip fit then welded. Not just hold 2pcs together then weld em up.
Theres a local guy with a Wolf bolt in 6pt with a DS swing out, hes asking 600 for it. I was thinking about picking it up untill I just read your post about Wolfe
It's not a bad bar, you can just do so much better when working from scratch. If it were a bolt in it wouldn't bother me as much because I could take it out until I wanted to run at the track. Honestly, for a mostly track car, I don't think the extra 1" of clearance will be a big issue. You're going to spend over $1200 for a custom 6 point easy. I'd get that bolt-in Wolfe if I were in your position.

Larry
Old 12-30-2009, 08:10 PM
10 Second Club

Mike once you cross this bridge you might as well take some weight out and make it more of a drag car. I didn't get a bar for a long time because I couldn't decide and now that I have one it's not as much fun to drive. harder to get in and out. I have swing outs which helps but you lose that element of surprise once that bar goes in everyone is going to call it a racecar and want spots.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

I still have my original engine in the spare bedroom. I want to leave it alone but also want to build a stroker while I blow this engine up.
i like your style

Quick Reply: Roll bar or NO roll bar....that is the question????