LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

7000 RPM - keep opti or go another route?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
LTCC still requires a funbctional opti base, IF it fixes anything all you needed was a cap and rotor, TUNEUP ITEMS.
It fixes that heavy rotor flying apart at high rpms because you can take it off.

94Z28rag- I must have missed all the people with broken stock timing chains. I apologize for my ineptitude.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LT4 block huh?? A tuner that resists tuning it with an opti?? I don't see this going well for you.

It is mostly the ignorant that have opti problems and swear it wont work. You say the stock opti is not known for lasting on high rpm stuff on the b-body boards BUT Jeff Green, Mike Harris, Pat Gish, Karl Ellwein, Nabil Guffrey, myself and a lot of the other guys with cars that perform well enough to be noticed use the stock opti.
All he was saying is that some people are having problems with the opti. Are you saying this isn't true??? I have been working on LT-1's for quite some time and I have seen my fair share of broken optis. There are better options out there. The 24x for one tops the list. No comparison to the optispark. A dynaspark and LTCC would be a close second. I have never believed the opti to be terrible as mine worked fine up until I tore the motor apart. BUt countless others have had problems.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

last I heard the Dynaspark used a LOT of stock parts and as I already covered the LTCC still needs a functional opti base.

IMO most opti problems are self inflicted, be it neglect or other contributing problems. Too many of us taking to way up in the rpms without issue to be blaming the parts alone.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

last I heard the Dynaspark used a LOT of stock parts and as I already covered the LTCC still needs a functional opti base.

IMO most opti problems are self inflicted, be it neglect or other contributing problems. Too many of us taking to way up in the rpms without issue to be blaming the parts alone.
Who told you that? The base is a cutom piece of billet alluminum it uses a roller bearing the sensor may be the same but its enclosed differently. You cant compare a Dynaspark to a OEM opti other than basic design. They cured alot of the issues inherent in the original optispark. The issues with the opti go beyond neglect. For this reason I purchased a EFI connection 24x. Now I have in my opinion, the best solution to future problems. And I can run either the stock LS1 ECM or a FAST designed for an LS1. Hard to beat with my power goals.

One more thing. Talked with dynaspark a while back and each unit is usaully built upon request. Not sure who supplies the cap and rotor for them but it appears to be of vary high quality.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pimpallya59
I'm going with the ltcc setup on my build. Stroked forged lt4 block trickflow heads and the infamous mease/eaton supercharger setup. On the b body forums the opti isn't known for lasting in high rpm setups. Maybe it's different for the f body guys. My tuner doesn't even want to tune it till I swap over to the ltcc.
I'd find a more knowledgeable tuner with expertise in the LT setups. I got your recent pm about my old ltcc setup, sold it years ago, bottom line though it was a PIA on my setup, wouldn't tune right, this was setup with brand new Magnecore 10mm custom wires, everything 100%, just struggled @high rpm. Ditched it, threw on a brand new GM Opti and nothing else, had no issues, problems, etc. This was in a solid roller 396 stroker shifting around 6800-7200rpm. Not saying the ltcc isn't a good unit and indeed the opti is known to come apart with repetitive high rpms, etc, but for many it held up just fine. There are better options out there than the ltcc, do a little search and best of luck, sounds like a nice build plan you have going.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if i was just racing id have no problem revving an opti to 7K, but i certainly wouldnt be using an opti for that purpose in a car i depend on. It only takes one over-rev to toast one and strand you on the side of the road.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just to update:

I'll be going with a vented opti conversion and letting her rip.

Quick Reply: 7000 RPM - keep opti or go another route?