LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Teach me the way of the LT1

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teach me the way of the LT1

Hey guys, new to all of this. I know this isn't really the place to post this up and I already made an intro thread, but this is the area where I'm gonna be hanging out the most. I hope to learn alot and figure out what my car is cabable of and my next step to go with this project.

BTW, its a 88 RX-7 with a LT1/T56 thrown in when the rotary decided to cough up some seals on the highway.

Intro thread and picture here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/introduct...v8-rx-7-a.html

Anyways, I hope to read and learn alot, joke and have some laughs along the way. I'll shut my mouth for a while as I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, buy you'll probably see me in here alot in the future.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 323 Likes on 245 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

What do you want to know?

Car looks good and has a nice sleeper setup..I bet it's a blast to drive.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Rockstar

Welcome! You had better start reading, there's alot of info here, and ask questions too!
Old 12-30-2009, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

searches suck, just ask!!! Welcome lt1s are fun as ****!!
Old 12-30-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AChotrod
searches suck, just ask!!! Welcome lt1s are fun as ****!!
No they're not, who the heck would drive one of those? Oh wait, I guess I would.
Nice ride, I plan on moving my built engine into a similar vehicle before all is said and done.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 113 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Welcome to the LT1 home of the standard+metric bolt+ loctite+ anti seized red headed step child of a motor Enjoy oh almost forgot the opti
Old 12-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Banned

Looks like you can teach us a thing or two! Nice work!
Old 12-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Well seeing as what I came from to something with an actual aftermarket, I'm kind of overwhelmed.

Pretty much I'm sitting here with an engine that has very low oil pressure and the beginning signs of rod knock(its there but only right before the crank stops on shutdown) and I gotta figure out what I wanna do. Its stock with a cc306 cam and 1.6 rockers and I don't know anything about where to go. I think a 383 build will be coming and I'm just trying to gather info on what components to throw in it as well as good heads and intake and if I wanna change the cam or use parts that will compliment it. I have a friend that has a full rotating assembly for a 383 build as well as a set of ported stock heads I might try out, not sure yet. I'm not rich so this sounds like it might be the best way to go for now.

I'm not looking for a load of power, but I think 400 to the wheels n/a would keep me and rear end happy for a little while. I only got maybe 1000 on it before I had to park it and I never even got to use the spray or the Hoosiers that came with the car. It also needs a tune real bad. Its got some PCMforless crap on it and runs WAY too rich. I'll just be happy to drive it again.

Oh and if nobody read my other thread, I DID NOT BUILD THIS CAR lol.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Banned

Rod knock at shut-down? I heard that banging from the first second of start-up. You should get rid of the nitrous and just get one of those bazzoka tubes that looks like a NO2 Bottle..
Old 12-30-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Veteran

That is one bad bitch, but you gotta get rid of that zex junk. That car is a str8 sleeper lol. Seriously a bad car in chicago that car would make a TON of money.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

What's wrong with Zex? I've also got an NX kit hanging out here, but this is already all setup in the car and I personally like it better than the NX.

After thinking about it alot, I don't think I'm gonna go 383, but rather just do a forged 355. I don't need any more torque, don't feel like swapping the rear end yet. I'm sure I'll blow it up eventually, this is the second stocker this car has had. Now I just gotta decide what rods, pistons, heads and cam to use. I still have a goal of seeing 400 to the wheels on the motor but kinda want something that revs more instead of having tire shredding low end. Traction is already an issue with the rear end. I'll probably throw a 200 shot on it for the track, possibly a direct port setup.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do those ported stockers your friend has use your cc306 with a set of speedpro or keithblack pistons with scat i-beam rods and stock crank all arp bolts for a cheap reliable build. Also have you thought about the 8.8 soild axle conversion for the rear? All of this combined should net you 400+whp and be pretty stout.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I thought about the solid rear conversion but thats alot of money I don't have right now. I'm just looking for something to get it back on the road, but I've always been the kind that when its broken is a good time to upgrade instead of throwing stock parts back in it. I'll have to see what he wants for all his stroker parts and if its a good deal, I know what I'll be doing. The thing with the heads is he ported them himself but he did the ones in his car and had significant gains and others are recommending his work.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it were me since you are on a budget I'd just do a nice 355 rebuild using stock crank. Then when money comes check the valvetrain again and port the heads if they are not already. LE or AI are the usuals here and both companies do some kickass work!
Old 01-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

Yup, I've been looking at the LE2 heads and those are calling my name. I've just been hearing this cc306 cam in an old design and wondering if I could come up with something better or just stick with what I have. I suppose since its already in there that can be a few hundred better used elsewhere.

Oh yeah, I've also got a set of long tubes I got used that need a good coating as they are all rusty. Those will go on with the rebuild and a little "clearancing" of the firewall.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Its a nice sized cam and can make pretty good power numbers in its form. Since you are already looking at rebuilds; make 'er strong this time around, throw in the set of LE2's, get a nice dyno tune when done, and she'll fly even more
Old 01-02-2010, 09:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

If your not planning to spray alot of nitrous on it then you might wanna check out SRP's new professional series pistons. I have them going in a 355 that im in the process of building, and they are super nice pieces, and reasonably priced. They are a forged side relief piston that comes with JE pro seal rings that dont require file fitting unless you plan to spray, then i would make sure they had atleast .025 end gap for modarate nitrous. The nice thing about these pistons is they on weigh in at 452 grams, and the have the 1.2/1.5/3.0 mm ring package, and they are nitrided top ring with napier 2nd ring. Im really impressed with the ones i got.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6
Welcome to the LT1 home of the standard+metric bolt+ loctite+ anti seized red headed step child of a motor Enjoy oh almost forgot the opti
Thats DEFINATELY sig material right there!
Old 01-02-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mpe331lx
Thats DEFINATELY sig material right there!
haha. was thinking the same thing

Quick Reply: Teach me the way of the LT1