LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Noisy valvetrain.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Noisy valvetrain.

I hear the valve train on these cars is notoriously noisy. Mine is noisy, and I have gotten fed up with it. It has a cowled hood and it seems like it bounces out of the cowl and makes it worse. The car is burning oil and I plan on having the heads reworked/new valve train in the future, but is there a temporary fix I can do until then? Some type of oil additive or something? Maybe different valve covers?
Old 01-02-2010, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Don't put additives in your oil, all it does is dilute it. And it won't quiet it down any.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidhouston23
I hear the valve train on these cars is notoriously noisy. Mine is noisy, and I have gotten fed up with it. It has a cowled hood and it seems like it bounces out of the cowl and makes it worse. The car is burning oil and I plan on having the heads reworked/new valve train in the future, but is there a temporary fix I can do until then? Some type of oil additive or something? Maybe different valve covers?

I am a member of BITOG (bob is the oil guy) which is an oil forum. Check it out. If your engine is worn, there is little you can do. If the rings are carboned up and sticking and you have other deposit issues(very likely at your mileage) you need to look at a product called autoRX. Go to auto-RX.com It is not available in stores. I have used it countless times in neglected motors and where I did not know the history. Works great.

Also, sometimes a HDEO (diesel oil 5w-40 or 15w-40) can quiet down old worn motors. Try the autoRX approach if applicable to the letter and if not use the HDEO oil. Sometimes filter selection can increase valve noise, although this is not usually noted in the LTX series. Good luck and if you have time check out BITOG.

Last edited by 355TurboLT1; 01-02-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-03-2010, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

why not pull the valve covers and adj the rockers if thats what is makin noise ? why stuff a mechanic in a bottle into it and have nuthing happen ?
Old 01-03-2010, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 93v8clone
why not pull the valve covers and adj the rockers if thats what is makin noise ? why stuff a mechanic in a bottle into it and have nuthing happen ?

No kidding!! Find the problem, do some investigating and fix the problem if your able to. Everyone is so quick to throw any type of garbage additive to there engine. People are so lazy
Old 01-03-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

next you will be typin my motor blew up after i stuffed lucas into it .all that **** is ,is a gimmick if its noisy something is wrong and NEEDS to be FIXED not cobbed . when i read **** like this i await the thread where he says my motor yacked guyssss what happened .
Old 01-03-2010, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Funny how none of you know anything about tribology and yet you sit here and comment on additives and oil. The first step, which is usually a given is to rule out mechanical issues. AutoRX is an ESTER. Type it into google and take some time to learn something before you speak on things your have no qualifications in. Lucas is entirely different. This isnt "engine honey"(LUCAS) im recommending. It is proven ester technolgy that is very well documented in high mileage engines. I would bet many of you aren't even aware of what the "w" in engine oil weight means,or the difference in oil groups, yet you will be the first to denounce a product you haven't even used. Laughable!

Last edited by 355TurboLT1; 01-03-2010 at 04:31 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-03-2010, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

stands for the wieght and the before and after are the cold and hot viscosity
Old 01-03-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, this thread got out of hand.

Back to the OP, what rockers are you running? Because any aftermarket rocker will be louder than stock, and what you consider loud, someone else might consider quiet. The Comp Pro Mags, for instance, are known to sound like a sewing maching (mine do), and there is little you can do about it.

And if you do have aftermarket rockers, we need to know the rest of your valvetrain setup, and what you set your lash to.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

my cc pro mags sound the same way x2
Old 01-03-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by draggin97s10
stands for the wieght and the before and after are the cold and hot viscosity

Wrong the "W" stands for "winter", but nice try! Like I said some of you need to read up on oil and additives.

Last edited by 355TurboLT1; 01-03-2010 at 07:35 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-03-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

when i learned that i was a tech about 4 years ago i remeber them saying winter because of the straight oils but i still thought it was weight in the sae format and winter in the other but sounds like you know your ****
Old 01-03-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 355TurboLT1
Funny how none of you know anything about tribology and yet you sit here and comment on additives and oil. The first step, which is usually a given is to rule out mechanical issues. AutoRX is an ESTER. Type it into google and take some time to learn something before you speak on things your have no qualifications in. Lucas is entirely different. This isnt "engine honey"(LUCAS) im recommending. It is proven ester technolgy that is very well documented in high mileage engines. I would bet many of you aren't even aware of what the "w" in engine oil weight means,or the difference in oil groups, yet you will be the first to denounce a product you haven't even used. Laughable!

if i didnt know what the "w" stood for, why would i have it in my sig for the list of modifications to my car? duhhh
Old 01-03-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by draggin97s10
when i learned that i was a tech about 4 years ago i remeber them saying winter because of the straight oils but i still thought it was weight in the sae format and winter in the other but sounds like you know your ****
YEah not trying to be a dick, its just irritating how internet know it alls get on a forum thread and all of a sudden become an oil expert. I do not profess to be an expert, but I have spent alot of time researching and using many products. If you ever want to learn more about lubricants bobistheoilguy.com is a great resource. FWIW
Old 01-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Self-Admitted Scammer

+2 for auto-rx. That is the only **** that has ever worked imo. It quieted down 2 of my high mileage cars. Get it and you will probably extend the life of your engine
Old 01-04-2010, 08:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 355TurboLT1
If you ever want to learn more about lubricants bobistheoilguy.com is a great resource. FWIW
Bob is the oil guy is a good resource, not a great one. There's a lot of misinformation floating around there, as with most any internet resource of that type. The problem lies in knowing enough to be able to cherry pick it.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

As far as I know my valvetrain is stock. This weekend I may pull the valve covers off and take a look at it. I don't know why so many people went "OMG POUR **** INTO YOUR CAR ITS GONNA BLOW UP BBQ111!!!" crazy. I was asking a simple question. I do IT work, and i'm slowly learning auto stuff.

This engine has about 50k miles on it, I do not know who installed it nor do I know the exact date, just sometime in 2007.

This kind of pains me hearing about the noisy aftermarket valvetrain, as I had planned on doing a cam swap in the near future. As I said in my OP, I have heard that there are thicker valve covers or something available to quieten down noisy valvetrain a bit. Has anyone heard of this or was I BSed about that?

I did look into the AutoRX stuff, but i'm going to check into the mechanical problems first. Hell might even be time to build a 383.

Thanks for all input.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:26 PM
Rockstar

Originally Posted by davidhouston23
"OMG POUR **** INTO YOUR CAR ITS GONNA BLOW UP BBQ111!!!"

This thread is whack. LT1 valvetrains are just noisy, that's all there is to it.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah this thread hit the wall with a bang! as stated up top any aftermarket rocker is going to make noise. i have comp cam ultra golds and there adjusted 1/2 past 0 valve lash and they still make some noise. its natural. if you have stock rockers pull your valve covers with the engine off and see if somethings wrong or worn.

Quick Reply: Noisy valvetrain.