LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What stall converter for street use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brucer
geez i'm disappointed... cant believe all you guys with your big converter talk, not one of you use a trans temp gauge?

the biggest factor in torque converter heat buildup is the weight of the vehicle, the heavier the vehicle the more heat generated..

my tbucket when it use to run had a 3500 edge converter in it, i had a single pass frame mounted cooler on it, and that was it, didnt even go to the radiator, just out of the tranny into the cooler and back into the tranny..it probably didnt even need a cooler.

my 80 chevy truck i'm using an edge 9.5 inch 3500rpm converter, i have a b&m cooler with integrated fan on it, its set at 160degrees.. its a built big block and a built th400..

i would use a tranny cooler anyways, you should be able to find an operating range of the 4l60e its probably around 160 to 180 degrees just guessing.. kind of common sense being your engine temperature is usually between 160-200 degrees, thats also why factories ran the transmission line through the radiator, not only to cool it but to also heat it. theres an normal operating temperature range for a transmission.

i'm using a local built converter in my camaro,call it stimulating the local economy.. its a 2500rpm Champ converter.. $150 bucks with my core .. i've used several converters from this place,in my own and in a couple cars and trucks i built for people, all have been great converters, would put them up against my edge converter..
I'm running a vig 3500, auxillary trans cooler and factory transmission temp guage...Trans temp is usually 25-30 degrees cooler than oil temps.

Quick Reply: What stall converter for street use?