LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What stall converter for street use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What stall converter for street use?

Well this is the first auto car I own and will be putting the LE2 H/C and poerted intake and that is where the mods are probably gonna stop so like 400RWHP is probably what it going to end up beign. now what TC is the best for 100% street use? mostly highway. it will have 3.73's and would like it to be streetable, what stall and what companies do you recomend, and more importantly what will the TC do for the car? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yank Hands down with a Super Stock 3600 Its what i'm gettin
Old 01-03-2010, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Vig 3600, once it locks up it wont matter for highway.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Launching!

So what exactly does a torque converter do to the car? how will it feel compared to a stock one? what do you mean by "lock up"? I have NO IDEA what a TC does.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Quick94LT1
So what exactly does a torque converter do to the car? how will it feel compared to a stock one? what do you mean by "lock up"? I have NO IDEA what a TC does.
It will idle better but will also feel a little sluggish off the line; unless you really jump on the throttle. When you do jump on it, the engine comes into the power almost instantly. Lock up is what happens in 3rd and 4th gears. There is a clutch inside the torque converter that eliminates any slipping and makes a direct link to the transmission. When locked up, it will drive like your stock converter.
DONT forget to get an auxilary tranny cooler.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yank SS3600. www.converter.cc
I've owned and driven lots of converter combos, including almost every major brand discussed on this forum. Nothing else will be as good as the SS3600 for what you're asking.
It's a very efficient converter, so you won't need an auxiliary cooler, especially with primarily highway driving.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtienut
Yank SS3600. www.converter.cc
I've owned and driven lots of converter combos, including almost every major brand discussed on this forum. Nothing else will be as good as the SS3600 for what you're asking.
It's a very efficient converter, so you won't need an auxiliary cooler, especially with primarily highway driving.
I respectfully disagree.

As cheap as a cooler is (and as easy as they are to install), IMO, it's ALWAYS a good idea to run one, especially on an automatic.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

3200 minimum, 3600 maximum
Old 01-03-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
3200 minimum, 3600 maximum
Old 01-03-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
I respectfully disagree.

As cheap as a cooler is (and as easy as they are to install), IMO, it's ALWAYS a good idea to run one, especially on an automatic.
Lots of stop n go city driving in 95 degree weather and I could agree with you. but it's totally unnecessary in this case. The converter I suggested generates no more heat than the stocker.

The Yank SS3600 will behave better than the typical 3200 converter for street driving, including the Vig.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would add a tranny cooler in my personal opinion. And I would recommend the Yank SS3600 as it is what I have and I love it. Drives stock and when you get on it, it pulls!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Banned

Yank SS3600 here and works great for street/strip use
Old 01-03-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

The converter I suggested generates no more heat than the stocker.
Negative. If it's slipping, it's generating heat.

I have been running a Vig 3600 for the last 25,000 miles with no cooler. But it would definitely be best if I had one.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackz93
Negative. If it's slipping, it's generating heat.

I have been running a Vig 3600 for the last 25,000 miles with no cooler. But it would definitely be best if I had one.
Do you understand how a torque converter works? Properly designed, it's not "slipping". It's the routing of fluid and the relative speeds of the pump and stator that allow the difference in speed between the engine/pump and the tranny input/turbine. Low quality converters shear the fluid and you could call that "slip", and yes, that generates heat. Put a tranny temp gauge with a stock converter and then with the SS3600; you'll see no noticeable difference. In fact, idling in gear with the brakes on, you'll see a higher temp with the stocker because it's trying harder to move the car rather than just recirculating fluid.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ANY stall converter generates heat around town in a non lockup condition, more stall more heat. The factory puts a cooler in the radiator for a reason.

What does trans temp do at the starting line when you max stall the converter? Trans temp SKYROCKETS, in a damn hurry to. Similar situation driving around town except its heat build up from stoplight to stoplight, it needs a way to shed that heat in the form of a good AUX cooler, use the radiator also.

Why do you put a good cooler on a tow veh? It is working the converter harder pulling a load.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
ANY stall converter generates heat around town in a non lockup condition, more stall more heat. The factory puts a cooler in the radiator for a reason.

What does trans temp do at the starting line when you max stall the converter? Trans temp SKYROCKETS, in a damn hurry to. Similar situation driving around town except its heat build up from stoplight to stoplight, it needs a way to shed that heat in the form of a good AUX cooler, use the radiator also.

Why do you put a good cooler on a tow veh? It is working the converter harder pulling a load.
which tranny cooler are u running on your Z?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
You're missing the point. If he's going to brake stall the converter or tow, yes he needs a cooler! And he would need it just the same doing those two things with his stock TC!
Stop thinking of a GOOD QUALITY street converter as something that "slips"! Think of it as more of a reduction gearbox that changes ratio as the input and output vary in speed.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quick94LT1
This website does a great job explaining the TC and how it works

http://www.howstuffworks.com/auto-pa...-converter.htm
Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by badfbodyz
which tranny cooler are u running on your Z?
I run a Long stacked plate style cooler inline with the radiator.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

You're missing the point. If he's going to brake stall the converter or tow, yes he needs a cooler! And he would need it just the same doing those two things with his stock TC!
Stop thinking of a GOOD QUALITY street converter as something that "slips"! Think of it as more of a reduction gearbox that changes ratio as the input and output vary in speed.
With a "looser" converter how do you think it doesnt generate MORE heat than a stock converter wheon not locked up? I never stated a converter "slips" it passes more fluid which makes the pump work harder, ya reckon?

You put a load on a tow veh and why does the heat buildup in the trans fluid? The converter is moving more fluid. The trans isnt slipping.

Take a F body with a stall converter not locked up and climb a mountain with it, does it build heat? Yep.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 01-04-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Quick Reply: What stall converter for street use?