LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Single exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single exhaust?

Has anyone even done this or have pictures of this? I had a borla exhaust system that i removed and sold and it was a cat back. From the cat up is all stock. My idea was running a 3inch single pipe and having it dump out by the right rear tire. Heres a picture. Im not very good at drawing ha

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-04-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

many, many people do that. they dont exit beside the tire but usually just have a turn down.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

At least the rear end is proportionate to the car lol
Old 01-04-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah you can do that. but you wouldnt run any muffler ? not even a bullet style ? it would be extremely loud. even through the stock cat. save up for long tubes and the parts needed for a custom exhaust like that. tuff out the stockishness of the exhaust for now lol
Old 01-05-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
yeah you can do that. but you wouldnt run any muffler ? not even a bullet style ?
If I had a stock exhaust it woyuld be on there but I sold the Borla exhaust that was on it (wish I didnt). I ran it for a couple days before I put it in storage with it just dumping out the cat and it was loud but not really loud. It was more of the "humming" inside the car that was loud, thats why I'd like to send it out by the rear tire or put like a 45degree elbow on it so it dumps away from the car. I think Im gonna go with my idea for now untill I can save up for some pacesetters and true duals. And this way is only gonna cost me a couple hangers and a shinny chrome tip ahaha. But what is a Bullet style? Never heard of it
Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't there use to be a flowmaster catback kit that was a single outlet (out back of the car)? A buddy of mine had one on his SS camaro back in 96-97 I believe and I also am pretty sure that SS's (early ones) came with a single tip out let at 3" as well.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ground clearance may be an issue if you exit out the side by the tire. If you do plan on doing this, I suggest using ovaled tubing to maximize ground clearance.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:09 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Didn't there use to be a flowmaster catback kit that was a single outlet (out back of the car)? A buddy of mine had one on his SS camaro back in 96-97 I believe and I also am pretty sure that SS's (early ones) came with a single tip out let at 3" as well.
Yeah flowmaster used to do a single out the left....they tucked up real nice behind the bumper and they were actually very well "hidden" exhausts. Had one on my 90. Actually sounded really good. Mufflex still makes a 3.5" and a 4" single exhaust. That's my personal choice. Going for the big 4" sewer pipe
Old 01-05-2010, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

i shoudla mentioned but i run a single 3" out the back. its a nice setup and tucks up pretty good. i run 2 mufflers in line tho to quiet it down abit a classic chambered and a magna flow. im running mac mids rght now but i want to upgrade to long tubes by the spring.

from the back of the car you cant see anything but the underbelly of the magnaflow. this is an old picture. since then ive tucked it up abit more

Old 01-05-2010, 06:39 PM

Hey like that cut out Oval sounds like a good idea too! Ill have to see what i can come up with thanks again
Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MaroZ2894
Hey like that cut out Oval sounds like a good idea too! Ill have to see what i can come up with thanks again
ty! it sounds great! unfortunately my qtp motor actually fell out on the highway when i was driving. the bolts has loosened up and i had to cap it off the car sound sick either which way tho
Old 01-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Launching!

I used to have the 3" single outlet flowmaster catback. I think you can still get the kit. I ended up taking off the flowmaster, put a bullet in the i-pipe, and the exhaust goes over the axle and out the rightside. I just cut the exhaust after it goes over the axle and made a new tailpipe. It tucks up nice like the original catback, you can barely see the tailpipe from the rear of the car.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Staging Lane

That's an interesting setup. I had a cutout welded around that area, but kept my flowmaster out the back (that way I could have a chopice which I wanted to run). Just a forewarning, not running a muffler will be loud. Personally, I hate that sound, it sounds like you have a broken exhaust especially with a stock valvetrain car.

If you do decide to go with that, Sweet Thunder makes a sweet line of bullet, chambered mufflers. They sound great, and they will custome make you any size, length, and # of chambers that you want. It will definitely clean up the sound if you plan on dumping it before the rear tire....
Old 01-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Here is my old school flowmaster single exhaust on my LT1.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Banned

Yeah I remember when SLP did that to the SS cars, had one dual tip on the back left I believe. I didn't like it when I seen it on pics but as soon as I seen one in life, the mojo hit me.

Quick Reply: Single exhaust?