LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil weight and brand?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:12 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Again I said my comments were NOT aimed at you. Stop looking for something to get bent out of shape about and you will feel better.
You may have left out the "NOT".
Old 01-08-2010, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ ya he did. i have been using 10w-40 for most of my lt1's castrol
Old 01-08-2010, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

mobil 1 0w40 in the T/A (after broken in)

5w30 in the stock bottom end Camaro
Old 01-08-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

have any of you tried the Brad Penn oil?

and as far as who i would trust as far as someone recommending an oil to me? i would recommend a proven engine builder before i would a scientist for sure..an engine builder sees engines and components that have been used in real world situations for long periods of time..not simulations

personally i think the 5w30 oils are to light, and promote dry starts to the topend of the engine..

what i have noticed over the years is the longevity of engines.. engines do not last as long as they use too,catastrophic failure usually. engineers are designing engines to wear, they're designing components to fail... i know this from being in the tool&die trade and have seen it first hand..
Old 01-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

in my new engine since first oil change(after break in) i have been using Amsoil 5W30
Old 01-08-2010, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

For this discussion why would it matter??
Except for the coolant path they are very similar engines. an LT-1 would generally have a flat tappet and that would like ZDDP but other than that they are VERY much the same.

Oil pressure does not matter, oil FLOW does, just easier to measure pressure and all we need to watch for is a sudden change in pressure indicating a change in flow.

ZDDP is NOT critical for bearings, bearings the pressure fed bearings are kept apart from the part they support by what amounts to hydroplaning.

ZDDP was important to parts that did not get pressurized oil like flat tappets. How many of you are running flat tappets???

The M1 5w-30 everyone mistakes for wonderful is nothing more than decent in an LT1 or LS1.
The belief that 10w-30 is thicker at operating temp than 5w-30 is proof of no real understanding on the subject.

At one point I saw data on oil recommendations for export LT1s and they got 15w-40, the b-body was very popular in the middleast, before you dismiss that as a hot weather thing, it get plenty cold in the desert at night.

North American oil recommendations are CAFE driven, HonDa and Furd did not go 5w-20 for more protection, they did it because it provided adequate protection and gained them a fraction of a MPG.

If you READ the owner's manual that came with your car you will see 10w-30 approved down to 0F.
WHAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cani just get the cliff notes please ! LOL I was just asking LT1 or LT-1
Old 01-08-2010, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oiling wise the only big difference between an LT-1 and LT1 would be the LT-1 got flat tappets.
If you hadn't noticed the LT1 is VERY similar to the Gen 1 motors.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oiling wise the only big difference between an LT-1 and LT1 would be the LT-1 got flat tappets.
If you hadn't noticed the LT1 is VERY similar to the Gen 1 motors.
That one item should have a major influence in choice of oils betwean the two.

I still really don't get the point of this whole thread and even a poll on "what kind of oil are you running".

The two things that I see the most in the LT1 cores that I get are sludge and carbon build-up. I'm no expert, but I would think that the sludge is a result of not changing the oil enough and the carbon is the result of cheap gas and improper tune. I'm one of those guys that gets 200,000-300,000 out of a gas burning small block. I give the credit to frequent oil changes with whatever weight the manual suggests, tune, and running super unleaded.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

Yes I know flat tappets change oil requirements BUT guys were talking about bearing damage from other weights and such and bearing wise I think you will agree they are pretty similar.

In my first post I said flat tappets would like more ZDDP.
Old 01-08-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again I said my comments were NOT aimed at you. Stop looking for something to get bent out of shape about and you will feel better.

Look at Al 96 Ram Air T/A's post and you will see my comments are directed more at him.

He is advocating switching weights seasonally in a location that is 10w-30 compatible year round. I lived there 17years so I know the weather.

That is besides the fact that I know at one point M1 5w-30 was THICKER at operating temps than their 10w-30.

He is also the one that said 40wt would "score the bearings". The overwhelming majority of us know better.
As you can see you left out the "NOT" part. I took it as you were attacking me for no reason since I did not make those statements. I was in the process of correcting them. No hard feelings man. Misunderstanding, it happens.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by brucer

and as far as who i would trust as far as someone recommending an oil to me? i would recommend a proven engine builder before i would a scientist for sure..an engine builder sees engines and components that have been used in real world situations for long periods of time..not simulations

personally i think the 5w30 oils are to light, and promote dry starts to the topend of the engine..

what i have noticed over the years is the longevity of engines.. engines do not last as long as they use too,catastrophic failure usually. engineers are designing engines to wear, they're designing components to fail... i know this from being in the tool&die trade and have seen it first hand..
These days you see catastrophic engine failures because they do not slowly wear out like they used to and we are pushing big HP out of high mile stuff. New engines are much better than the old stuff from tolerances to materials everything, the engine controls are so much better they wash the cylinders down less resulting in less wear.

You are not going to take a 70s 350 stock shortblock and push 400rwhp from them the way we do with the LT1s even though the engine architecture is the same. A 70s 350 will likely be a smoker by 100K yet there are guys here doing heads/cam at 150K and having good results doing it.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brucer

Brad penn is pretty good oil.

I would trust an engine builder to recommend me a weight of oil to run, not brand, unless he had many UOAs to back up his claims that XX oil blew his motors up, but BB didn't. In reality with most modern engines any BRAND oil that is API cert'd will be just fine for use in your engine. When you start to want max oil change intervals, lowest wear possible, etc, then it pays to start putting your oil choice thru a UOA. Otherwise, you're just making guesses at what oil is "better". I could show you a 150K LT1 that still had cross hatches in the cylinders, and the bearings looked good, yet there was sludge in the oil pan.

Most modern engines I've seen outlast more than yesteryear. People these days think things are buy it and throw it away when you need a new one. They're not interested most of the time for keeping a car for 15+yrs.

I ran 0w30 German Castrol in my LT1 when I had it. UOAs showed M1 0w40 to shear too much, and wear results were not the greatest.

Last edited by buffman; 01-13-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:06 AM
TECH Resident

What is a UOA? sorrry if im oblivious
Old 01-13-2010, 09:02 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Used Oil Analysis.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

i use full synthetic 10w-30 valvoline oil
Old 01-13-2010, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by buffman
Brad penn is pretty good oil.

I would trust an engine builder to recommend me a weight of oil to run, not brand, unless he had many UOAs to back up his claims that XX oil blew his motors up, but BB didn't. In reality with most modern engines any BRAND oil that is API cert'd will be just fine for use in your engine. When you start to want max oil change intervals, lowest wear possible, etc, then it pays to start putting your oil choice thru a UOA. Otherwise, you're just making guesses at what oil is "better". I could show you a 150 LT1 that still had cross hatches in the cylinders, and the bearings looked good, yet there was sludge in the oil pan.

Most modern engines I've seen outlast more than yesteryear. People these days think things are buy it and throw it away when you need a new one. They're not interested most of the time for keeping a car for 15+yrs.

I ran 0w30 German Castrol in my LT1 when I had it. UOAs showed M1 0w40 to shear too much, and wear results were not the greatest.
You make some valid points and there is indeed no magic oil. Keep in mind though that UOA's can only be used to track wear trends over many many miles usaully in a fleet type of situation. A UOA is more of an indicator of how an oil is doing and how long it has left (insoluables, TBN, visc,coolant leaks....)in service. For years people thought you could compare brand a vs brand b via UOA. This simply is not true and is an angle some oil blenders use to sell oil.

We have one individual on BITOG, Mr. Doug Hillary who has perfromed UOA's over millions of miles in large diesel trucks. Here he can clearly see some wear patterns and it has been well documented. For you and I it is more of a safety net. There are as you realize so many variables. GC (german castrol) use to be the favorite for some time over at bitog and is a good oil, but it is very thick for a 30wt and there are no doubt better performers for the money. Mobil 1 0w-40 has different base oils and additives than regular Mobil 1 and is a well proven oil in racing(widely used in road racing circuits all over the world) and does tend to shear a bit at first but stabalizes quite nicely soon afterward.

I prefer Goup V synthetics(Redline,Motul,NEO). For regular duty you will most likely never see a difference between a group III synthetic and a group II dino as long as the OCI is appropriate. When it is extended thats really where a Group III base oil will shine.

Last edited by 355TurboLT1; 01-13-2010 at 11:10 AM. Reason: addition
Old 01-13-2010, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Royal Purple 10-40wt here.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

Mobil 1 10W-40 HM.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 355TurboLT1
You make some valid points and there is indeed no magic oil. Keep in mind though that UOA's can only be used to track wear trends over many many miles usaully in a fleet type of situation. A UOA is more of an indicator of how an oil is doing and how long it has left (insoluables, TBN, visc,coolant leaks....)in service. For years people thought you could compare brand a vs brand b via UOA. This simply is not true and is an angle some oil blenders use to sell oil.
You can still gather enough information over a trend of say 15-20,000 miles whether or not the oil you're putting thru your car is doing all it can do. If it's shearing for no obvious reason (no coolant or fuel dillution) beyond your safety net, it may be wise to try a thicker and or different oil. If you don't like an oil with a lot of Sodium (can be confused with coolant leak) a UOA will help you show that. It's not a tell all be all thing, and can't as you said easily tell you A is better than B, but it does help bring factual data to making a recommendation of an oil in a particular engine. I've tracked enough mile (25K) on my wife's 01 cavalier with Mobil Clean 5000 10w30 to prove it can go 6K in her car with her driving habits (used to be more when she was all highway). I see no need to go to a synthetic in the car when I can go 6K with good UOAs, on an oil change I pay $8 for (car only uses 4 quarts of oil, I get it on sale for $9.99 for 5 quarts and filter)
Old 01-14-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

where can you get a UOA done at?

Quick Reply: Oil weight and brand?