LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

hiding spark plug wires w/ headers

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hiding spark plug wires w/ headers

I have a 93 s10 with the lt1 in it and i have sanderson shortys and the way we originally routed the sparkplug wires, i just dont like. How did you guys route your wires with ur headers? And if you have pics, that would be great.

Oh and any suggestions on how to clean up my wiring would be great. It looks like a mess the more and more i look at the motor.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:00 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

I've always kept the stock location. Because of how the #5 primary is on my Hooker LT's I use a longer plug wire to run the length of the block and then back to the plug. More room for the boot that way. Not sure how your headers are configured, but if you want to hide them there's no better location than stock.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SS RRR
I've always kept the stock location. Because of how the #5 primary is on my Hooker LT's I use a longer plug wire to run the length of the block and then back to the plug. More room for the boot that way. Not sure how your headers are configured, but if you want to hide them there's no better location than stock.
heres a few pics of how the headers are routed. I just want to clea the bay up. I am ditching the overflow tank for a plished one mounted to the core, than ditching the washer fluid tank completely, moving the computer to the passenger side to clea up some of that wiring back behind the intake, and moving the PS res to where the battery is, and moving the battery to the bed. That and polished fuel rails, and FRC's.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd keep them in the stock postion
Old 01-11-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pillarpod
i'd keep them in the stock postion
well how we have them now, the guy that did the swap said that the wires couldnt go that way, but i dunno. theres got to be a way. I want to clean this bitch up and they annoy me coming up like they do. Anyone have pics of their wires in the stock location with headers?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

first go around I routed them over the cover with the made for you wire holders. now I have the ltcc with the coils mounted on the fuel rail covers.

Over the cover routing

Old setup with LTCC
Old 01-11-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by illusions
first go around I routed them over the cover with the made for you wire holders. now I have the ltcc with the coils mounted on the fuel rail covers.
see i think thts cool n all, but i like mine to be clean looking and all wires possible to be hidden.

That and i dont know how ppl have less wires running from the top of the fuel rails to the front of the motor. I look at others and the wire looms are maybe one, or two, i have like 5 wires looms...it annoys me like crazy
Old 01-11-2010, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

I'll get you an updated pic of how it looks now. its a lot cleaner. All wires are hidden under the frc's I just need to shorten a few spark plug wires since i left them long until I finished the HCI mods.

I wanted the spark plug wires easy to be removed for checking plugs after nitrous runs at the track.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
well how we have them now, the guy that did the swap said that the wires couldnt go that way, but i dunno. theres got to be a way. I want to clean this bitch up and they annoy me coming up like they do. Anyone have pics of their wires in the stock location with headers?
my fit right between the header and the head, i don't know why you couldn't on yours
Old 01-11-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pillarpod
my fit right between the header and the head, i don't know why you couldn't on yours
do you have pics? maybe its my first primary tube i believe that goes right across the UCA and doesnt give enough space under there.

And Illusions, yea but doesnt that conversion cost bookoo money, like alot, lol
Old 01-11-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely read up on how the stock wires are routed. It's the cleanest, most concealed way to route them.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Definitely read up on how the stock wires are routed. It's the cleanest, most concealed way to route them.
will do. I would assume that the way we routed these now are longer than wat i would need if i went underneath and the ''stock'' way right?

Well besides that, what do you think about this

I am getting the ebay polished valve covers that are ball milled, than getting fuel rail covers, doing my own thing to them and either painting them blck or painting them red to go with the intake. But not sure how that will go since the intake is powdercoated, and i am pretty sure u cant powdercoat plastics. Would that look good, or do you think black fuel rail cover, and powdercoat the polished valve covers the same red as the intake?
Old 01-11-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

It all depends on how much room those shorties give you. I have Hooker LT's, MSD 8.5's and no A/C so I came up with a really smooth way of routing the wires. I suggest getting some boot-protectors if you have shorties to make sure they don't burn.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
It all depends on how much room those shorties give you. I have Hooker LT's, MSD 8.5's and no A/C so I came up with a really smooth way of routing the wires. I suggest getting some boot-protectors if you have shorties to make sure they don't burn.
I need PICS man, lol. I need visual proof so i can show the guy and we can get at it.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
Anyone have pics of their wires in the stock location with headers?
The Sandersons route different than any other header I've see. By your pics I can't see how much clearance there is between the header and where the head meets the block. If there is enough room using the stock plug wire brackets would conceal them nicely

The pics don't show these brackets well. #1,3,2&4 wires run direct to plugs. The rest go "in" the metal brackets. The one pic with engine on hoist you can see the bare metal bracket on DS of motor. It runs the length of the block just below the head. PS bracket is slightly different. There are 2 small bolts that hold them on each side. The front one you remove the rear you just losen since it is a "slot" and not a "hole" to remove/install the brackets. Way easier to do with the engine on a stand...otherwise from underneath if motor is in car. Helps to pull starter.

Wiring...your app is not stock so dress wires in convuleted tubing as best you can. LT1's on B bodys had a big plastic intake cover to hide them...Vettes had plastic covers that look nicer IMHO...which I have in the pic
Attached Thumbnails hiding spark plug wires w/ headers-rogmotor01.jpg   hiding spark plug wires w/ headers-rogmotor02.jpg   hiding spark plug wires w/ headers-goingin.jpg   hiding spark plug wires w/ headers-dsc06283.jpg  
Old 01-12-2010, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

hope that helps
Old 01-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Banned

Where did you get that little heat-shield tube on the driver's side? Do you have a part number? Is that factory?

Last edited by 1 Craz28; 01-12-2010 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

its factory. I just reused it.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Banned

Man, I have'nt even seen that tube yet. I wonder if it was removed from my header installer? Guess I have to get in there and find out! Great pics!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod

hope that helps
engine stand on a hardwood floor. thats baller status

Quick Reply: hiding spark plug wires w/ headers