LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

2010 LTX Shootout Classes & Rules are Posted

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:27 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeliusZ28
Thanks for educating me on that, but fact remains that the LS1 PCM has higher resolution tables and that has everything to to do with power and smoothness.

edit: as well as a faster reacting processor, and dual knock sensor capability.
I'm sorry, but higher resolution has nothing to do with smoothness or power. For sure nothing you can feel or see on a dyno. LS1s run no smoother than the LT1s. I have one daily driver of each. The dual knock sensor capability is in the LT1 PCMs also. A simple binary switch selects single or dual knock sensors. The B body cars use two. Nothing at all to changing an F body to dual knock sensors. Click on one switch in the switch table and add a wire and knock sensor.

The only advantage in power is the added RPM capability. (and for people that have had Optispark issues, no more Optispark) You should be able to spin one up to 12799 RPM. (GM says that is the highest allowed rev limiter) I have customers that shift their LSX cars well above 8000. (Takes a sort runner manifold, Hogan, etc.) Even my FAST XFI ECM made no more power with my 383" than my OBD1 LT1 PCM below did 7000. That engine likes 8000.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
The only advantage in power is the added RPM capability..........Even my FAST XFI ECM made no more power with my 383" than my OBD1 LT1 PCM below did 7000.
Say it isn't so! You mean that there isn't any secret power hidden in my DFI? What about the "Magic Switch"?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry, but higher resolution has nothing to do with smoothness or power. For sure nothing you can feel or see on a dyno. LS1s run no smoother than the LT1s. I have one daily driver of each. The dual knock sensor capability is in the LT1 PCMs also. A simple binary switch selects single or dual knock sensors. The B body cars use two. Nothing at all to changing an F body to dual knock sensors. Click on one switch in the switch table and add a wire and knock sensor.

The only advantage in power is the added RPM capability. (and for people that have had Optispark issues, no more Optispark) You should be able to spin one up to 12799 RPM. (GM says that is the highest allowed rev limiter) I have customers that shift their LSX cars well above 8000. (Takes a sort runner manifold, Hogan, etc.) Even my FAST XFI ECM made no more power with my 383" than my OBD1 LT1 PCM below did 7000. That engine likes 8000.
I digress. The lack of support and one-step functions of the software are what made the answer clear to me. I am familiar with the concepts of tuning enought that i managed to tune my truck to perfection (hptuners) in about an hour, yet i still dont have a good tune on my Z28. Personal downfall of mine? Sure. But the lack of support for OBD1 played a large role in my decision. I dont plan on keeping the same setup forever, so ease of tuning is a huge value for me. What HPTuners does automatically is a huge value over manually converting data through 3 different programs after every datalog. I still have not found a good solution to converting datamasters resolution to tunercats.

im not trying to make this all about me, but if there is one legitimate point i can make, its that HPTuners is more DIY friendly. Again, im not going to argue any decision made im fine standing on the sidelines.

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 01-17-2010 at 01:04 PM. Reason: completely changed my response.... i admit haha.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:54 PM
9-Second Club

There is nothing simpler to tune than an LT1, unless it's an old TBI pickup. It comes down to your experience. As for the "resolution" with Datamaster versus Tunercat, no scan tool is going to have data frames fall on the break points in the calibration (unless by accident), which have noting to do with the tuning software. Unless of course the tuning software is wrong, it's "resolution" is going to be the same as the calibration.

Tunercat could possibly stand some dumbing down for the beginners. For an knowelable tuner, it's just fine. I have access to more parameters in OBD2 PCMs with Tunercat than anything else. I also have HPTuners and LS1 Edit. I like them all, and just like women, they have their differences. I use HPTuners for all LS2 & later vehicles. Some LS1 vehicles. Works great, their custom operating systems work very well, and support is excellent.

Well, except for Bill.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:55 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by GIZMO
Say it isn't so! You mean that there isn't any secret power hidden in my DFI? What about the "Magic Switch"?

Heck, my XFI didn't even come with a Magic Switch! I'm trying to figure how to wire one in.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:12 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
thats what I found when I swapped to a dfi gen 7 setup. No more hp just was able to carry out the rpm. I spent alot of time on my lt1 tune though so there was no hp left with my setup for the rpm range I was working with at the time.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is nothing simpler to tune than an LT1, unless it's an old TBI pickup. It comes down to your experience. As for the "resolution" with Datamaster versus Tunercat, no scan tool is going to have data frames fall on the break points in the calibration (unless by accident), which have noting to do with the tuning software. Unless of course the tuning software is wrong, it's "resolution" is going to be the same as the calibration.

Tunercat could possibly stand some dumbing down for the beginners. For an knowelable tuner, it's just fine. I have access to more parameters in OBD2 PCMs with Tunercat than anything else. I also have HPTuners and LS1 Edit. I like them all, and just like women, they have their differences. I use HPTuners for all LS2 & later vehicles. Some LS1 vehicles. Works great, their custom operating systems work very well, and support is excellent.

Well, except for Bill.
I will have to go through my old logs/tunes on my laptop sometime and send you a PM. I remember spending hours trying to find a way to make the resolution of my logs and tunercat (or rather the PCM) match up and i couldnt do it. So basically i was making eyeball adjustments which obviously are not much to be desired. and im not computer illiterate either, its my field. Its been entirely stupid issues like that have frustrated me with it. What I think tunercat lacks the most (aside from built in logging) is the ability to modify based on a percentage. That makes the process go so smoothly in HPTuners.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:55 PM
9-Second Club

Originally Posted by 95 Formula
thats what I found when I swapped to a dfi gen 7 setup. No more hp just was able to carry out the rpm. I spent alot of time on my lt1 tune though so there was no hp left with my setup for the rpm range I was working with at the time.
Exactly what I found when I switched to FAST XFI.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:10 PM
9-Second Club

Joel, it's not a matter or either Datamaster (What I also use when tuning an OBD1 LT1) or Tunercat's resolution. Any scan tool displays data in "frames" in time increments begining when the log is started. Some may accidently fall on a calibration break point, most frames won't. No digital equipment displays data "real time", including digital volt/ohm meters. If Datamaster shows 34 deg advance at 4800 and 5200, you can bet it has 34 degrees at 5000, which is an LT1spark table break point. No mater what you are tuning, or what scanner or scan software you use, some data will always "fall between frames". That is just how it is. You simply have to learn how to work with it. LS1PCMs display more data frames per second than an LT1 PCM. Not a big deal either way as long as you understand what is going on.

Not a big deal, that is, unless you are tuning a turbo Buick GN with the factory ECM, a WOT blast from 2000 to 5000 RPM in 3rd gear will get you about two data frames. Fast engine, slow ECM.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sent a response via PM so we can get this thread back on topic
Old 01-17-2010, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

How strict is tech going to be??
Old 01-18-2010, 03:01 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
Yep! Here is Mr. Speed Density himself having fun at LTX 2008

He is at the front of the hump line in the beginning. LMAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxZl8s3x-wQ
Wowwwwwwwww. I thought that video was lost.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

lol, ya skizzy at his finest!
Old 01-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kline454
How strict is tech going to be??
hopefully the same as years past with the judgement being made by Tony or Kyle

I know I will not be legal and hope to not be bumped out
Old 01-18-2010, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED

It should be very close to last years tech from what I've been through there.

"edit" for private rentals of course.

Last edited by Racin96ss; 01-18-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:37 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED

I can't say yes or know because of liability reasons but I will say this..........it is a private rental event.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can't say yes or know because of liability reasons but I will say this..........it is a private rental event.
Good to know....
Old 01-18-2010, 02:23 PM
hashtagBMW

I remember the first year when I help'd with 'tech, that was a chore.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

well maybe i can pm you details on my car and you can tell me if you think it will pass. It passes at my local tracks but our tech is easy, thanks kyle,
Old 01-18-2010, 08:36 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kline454
well maybe i can pm you details on my car and you can tell me if you think it will pass. It passes at my local tracks but our tech is easy, thanks kyle,
Well, you have 8 months. Why not make it legal to pass tech in that interval? I know I wouldn't want to drive all that way and not pass tech.

Besides, while safety mods aren't always "sexy" you would be doing yourself a favor in the long run.

Quick Reply: 2010 LTX Shootout Classes & Rules are Posted