LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Mini Ram Vs. Single Plane

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:38 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mini Ram Vs. Single Plane

I'm curious to know if anyone has done a flow bench test on the Mini Ram with a monoblade and a single plane with a 4 hole TB. Seriously I don't think that the single plane will offer that much of a difference. This is just my personal opinion seeing as I don't have a super Vic or a Mini Ram to compare. Just curious if anyone has any numbers to show one way or the other. I'm not really looking for opinions as to which one you think will flow better, I'm looking for hard numbers.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

flow dont mean ****..it depends on what the motor is setup for..high rpms or low rpms..but really just look around in the lt1,lsx and fi 23 degree gen 1 engine drag race world...most run a single plane with a carb throttle body when still f/i...also the best intake for a 23 degree max effort deal with a single plane is a mopar intake converted to fit 23-21 degree sbc heads..
Old 01-14-2010, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

alright before i get **** for my flow comment..ill post this..you do want your intake to flow and not restrict you heads..but i can hog out a intake and flow crazy numbers or match a intake to the heads and have good violicity and matching csa to the head but be out flowed by the hoged out one..just because of that dont mean it will make more power the the properly setup matched one.

same thing gos for heads when matching heads for the your total engine combo...do not get cought up in peak flow numbers and flow numbers...i always take my numbers and turn them into a percentage and look at violivity and csa to make my choice per combo.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:52 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

The thing you're not understanding is that short runners are good for high RPM engine. You cannot get much shorter runners in the LT1/MiniRam intakes. They are only 3" long, shorter than even some single planes. I know that MiniRam has more plenum volume than a stock LTx intake, so I'm wondering how much are you really giving up by running a MiniRam or an LTx intake in comparison to a single plane. Just because the high hp guys run a single plane, where is a back to back comparison showing that it is truely worth it? If someone had dyno numbers, or even better yet ET's to show that it truly is worth it to convert. I'm a skeptic, so I want to know that if I'm going to shell out the cash I wanna make sure it's worth it. I have no doubt the MiniRam and the LTx can support well over 600rwhp and spin it to 8K RPM. I just want to see if my hunch is right.......
Old 01-14-2010, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

trust me i understand..you dont want a to short of a runner..that runner and plenum needs to be matched to you heads,cam,cubic inches,bore size and so on...you can jump over to yellowbullet forums and go to the n/a section and you can get all the info that you want from some of the top porters and engine builders around..unless your spinning your car to 10k i wouldnt take the shorter runner intake..just look at engine that are max effort deals that spin 8k and 10k..they run runner around 5" and up..my old sb2.2 setup had some long runners and the engine was a n2o setup but peaked power in the 8k band
Old 01-14-2010, 05:09 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

The runner is considered from the valve to the plenum area, I was just pointing out that the MiniRam claims to have a runner of 3", therefore it would make the full runner 5-6". So I'm curious if the plenum in the MiniRam is enough to keep up with a single plane. I don't see why it wouldn't be but then again I'm looking for definites.... Maybe some basic flow numbers and a cc'ing of the plenum areas. I'm willing to bet the plenum area on the MiniRam or an LTx intake is probably larger than that of the single plane.....This is a guess though, I'd love to get hard numbers......

Quick Reply: Mini Ram Vs. Single Plane