LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What pick-up for a moroso 20185 pan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What pick-up for a moroso 20185 pan?

What pick up do I use for a Moroso 20185 pan on my LT1? Bought it at summit and of corse no freakin notes to say hey the pickup wont fit or the mains have to be replaced. So I don't trust thier site. It says a moroso24212 or 24213. I have a M155 oil pump in this thing. Any ideas so maybe I can find one at a local speed shop this weekend.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ran into the same problem with my 385 lt1 build about a year ago. It took Summit and my local machine shop 3 tries and a bunch of my time on the site here to figure it out....... After buying a melling pump I found it would not fit the tube or give me proper pick up to pan clearance while trying 2 other pick up tubes. I ended up having to buy the Moroso 22111 std volume pump (a reboxed older melling pump) which was more expensive, $80, than a melling one. Along with that I bought the standard volume 24212 pick up tube. .......SIDE NOTE----As I showed the pump to the shop to try and figure it out they commented on how Melling appearantly reduced the material at the neck of the pump for possible cost reduction in material savings. I have no idea if this still happening. This has led to some cracking in that area that they have seen. They mentioned I was fortunate to find an "old" thicker style........ Once I tried to put it onto the block, I had to do a little rounding of the pickup tube holes in order to mount it. The pick up screen was not at the proper clearance to the pan so I had to adjust it as well.

Also, check your oil pan for weld BB's and sticks. I accidently dropped my pan onto my workbech and heard little BB's rolling around behind the baffles. I ran my fingers around the welds and had so many BB's I couldn't believe it. I scraped all the welds as best I could and used pen magnets to clean everything. I also noticed the windage tray bolts were not tight. The nuts on the back seemed a little cheap as well. So, I replaced them all with grade 8 bolts and loctited them. Make sure you install the pan with gasket and try spinning the crank. Mine would not move after I did this. The wiper angle on the pan interfered with the crank and I had to bend it back a little to clear.

The oil level sensor would not go all the way in. I had to grind the hole INSIDE the pan. The hole was not inline with the outside case hole. I also used a dab of non hardening gasket maker to make sure the oil sensor sealed at the rubber O ring. I wasn't taking any chances!

Hope this helps!

Here's some pics of the install and 1 of many weld sticks floating around in the pan.
Attached Thumbnails What pick-up for a moroso 20185 pan?-picture-051.jpg   What pick-up for a moroso 20185 pan?-picture-053.jpg   What pick-up for a moroso 20185 pan?-picture-057.jpg   What pick-up for a moroso 20185 pan?-picture-060.jpg  
Old 01-30-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Wow I am pissed at summit for not putting any foot markers on this pan that the pickup tube and main bolt might have to be replaced. Thanks for the info, it looks like I am in the exact same boat. I have a Melling 155 pump that came in my stroker kit and it has a 3/4 inlet and Some jackass at a local speed shop told me that the moroso 24212 pickup was what I needed so I paid over phone because they were closing and get down there and pick up the part from the guy waiting out side for me because they closed early and I bought a moros 24212 pickup with a 5/8 tube. AHG!!! Man what a PITA. I have looked at summit and moroso's sites and can't figure out if the other 24213 pickup uses a 3/4 pipe. It seems that I may still have a problem with clearance isues even if it is a 3/4 tube. I also looked at replacing the pump to a m-55 so I could use this pipe but can't kind it locally. All I wanted to do was button up this build today and start getting it read to go in the car for next weekend. Not going to happen. Yes I have the same BB's that I am about to clean off. Not that impressed with this thing so far. Thanks again.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would clean the pan in a parts washer and let it sit with fluid in it and check for leaks. I noticed a leak at my drain plug so I took the plug out and it was tough removing it. I noticed BB's in the threads near the sealing surface. I had to tap the threads and buy a new magnetic plug. I was less than thrilled with all the extra work I had to do to this.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Addict

I'll do that sunday or actually today lol. I'll fill it and if it leaks it is going back. Really didn't need this pan but My father who found the long block for me so I could do this build decided to paint the inside of the stock pan so as I run my fingers inside the paint is comming off. He lives in GA and I'm down in FL so I couldn't be there for the tear down and machine work. Guess he didn't clean it well enough. It just seems I can't catch a break. My father put the bottom end to gether before I could visit him and I am very glad I pulled the pan and found this cause he also torqued everything to gen 1 specs insted of what the rotating kit called for lol. Guess I caught my break. I retorqued everything and ordered this pan thinking oh no big deal new gasket and bolt it on. Summit has nothing in the description that I needed all this. It made it look like a bolt on part. lol what ever. Thanks for all the info and I'll post back when I get it all together.

Quick Reply: What pick-up for a moroso 20185 pan?