LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Disassembly of my stock heads, intake valves stick, need help???

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disassembly of my stock heads, intake valves stick, need help???

I just pulled my stock heads, for the first time I assume. The car has 90K and it's getting a lunati cam and new springs and yada yada.

I removed the valve keepers and springs without a problem. All the exhaust valves came out without a fight, but at lease 5 or 6 of the intake valves had to be forcefully removed. And I mean I had to sit on the head and twist and pull with everything I had to get them out. It's like the very tip of the stem had mushroomed out or somehting. The valve would slide freely, up to the point when the the tip made contact with the valve guide and it was a BITCH after that. I put the ones that came out easy in the other guides, no problem. I put the ones that I had to pull out in the guides that didn't have a problem and they wouldn't go.

My main quiestion is, does the tip ever deform like in this case? Can all the valves be reused, proveded they're not bent? And what would cause them to be a pain to remove? Thanks for your help, Matt
Old 02-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

You put that head on with what you did you are going to run into problems. More than likely many, if not all your guides are done and need to be replaced. Especially for the valves you took out forcefully. Valves are ground/seated specifically meaning that if you use one valve in another seat it will not seal properly and you'll end up burning the valve out.
More than likely the valves may of had too much play causing the rockers to bang on the tops of the valves causing them to mushroom.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you may not need guides, might be able to put liners in either way let a pro check em out.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Definitely have someone who knows what they're doing check them out. Even hyd. valvetrains need to be adjusted once in awhile to avoid exactly what you are experiencing.

Quick Reply: Disassembly of my stock heads, intake valves stick, need help???