LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

383 LT1 SR cam 88mm turbo HD VIDEO part 3 The engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iam really surprised u didnt go with a single plain intake or something else to help make this motor breath to 8,000 rpm's. I always thought the LT1 intake was a huge draw back when it came to gettin the motor to breath?? Maybe iam wrong??
Old 02-24-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Quick96ss
Iam really surprised u didnt go with a single plain intake or something else to help make this motor breath to 8,000 rpm's. I always thought the LT1 intake was a huge draw back when it came to gettin the motor to breath?? Maybe iam wrong??
You are wrong

..to an extent.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1badzee
You are wrong

..to an extent.
Care to explain??
Old 02-24-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1badzee
You are wrong

..to an extent.
no, it'd perform way better with a single plane, a 4500 TB, and a carb hat.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Quick96ss
Not exactly. The LT-1 intake isn't that bad when properly ported. My old engine would rev out to 8,000, but that was on the pill. It was best to shift it @ 7500-7700. I knew the intake wasn't a problem because of the map readings. If you are pulling vacuum @ wot, you have a poor intake system. I tuned an engine with a F.A.S.T. 4 hole TB on top of a single plane, and I have to say I wasn't very impressed. The same engine made more power everywhere with a Wilson elbow and a big single hole TB (I don't remember the size).

The new engine is ok with an unported stock intake because it's boosted. All of the things you do with a N/A engine to make it run are not as important when boost is added to the mix. Think of it like a garden hose. If you where to pour water into one end from a bucket, you would not get very much flow through the hose. However, hook the same hose to a pressurized water system and you will have much more volume going through it. On the other hand, there is a point of diminishing return. Using the same hose example, think of a pressure washer. It has very high pressure, but relatively little volume due to the small orifice at the end of the wand. The engine is the same. If you where to have a totally stock TB on a totally stock intake, you would find a lot of boost pressure but little volume. I guess that is a long way of telling you that size counts, but not really .

I don't think the intake will be a problem, but we shall see. It would be more educational if I didn't reach my goal of 1,000 FWHP on the first few pulls. It would force me to to look at all of the data and make changes untill it worked. I will keep you posted on the results and development of the car. Spring is almost here, so it won't be long before this bench racing becomes real racing .
Old 02-25-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kmracer
no, it'd perform way better with a single plane, a 4500 TB, and a carb hat.
You must not know how to read then. The LT1 intake isn't as restrictive on our platform as let's say the LS1 intake. That is why I said "to an extent". Our little stock intake can go a long way (example being the original poster's car).
Old 02-25-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SS Aleks
Not exactly. The LT-1 intake isn't that bad when properly ported. My old engine would rev out to 8,000, but that was on the pill. It was best to shift it @ 7500-7700. I knew the intake wasn't a problem because of the map readings. If you are pulling vacuum @ wot, you have a poor intake system. I tuned an engine with a F.A.S.T. 4 hole TB on top of a single plane, and I have to say I wasn't very impressed. The same engine made more power everywhere with a Wilson elbow and a big single hole TB (I don't remember the size).

The new engine is ok with an unported stock intake because it's boosted. All of the things you do with a N/A engine to make it run are not as important when boost is added to the mix. Think of it like a garden hose. If you where to pour water into one end from a bucket, you would not get very much flow through the hose. However, hook the same hose to a pressurized water system and you will have much more volume going through it. On the other hand, there is a point of diminishing return. Using the same hose example, think of a pressure washer. It has very high pressure, but relatively little volume due to the small orifice at the end of the wand. The engine is the same. If you where to have a totally stock TB on a totally stock intake, you would find a lot of boost pressure but little volume. I guess that is a long way of telling you that size counts, but not really .

I don't think the intake will be a problem, but we shall see. It would be more educational if I didn't reach my goal of 1,000 FWHP on the first few pulls. It would force me to to look at all of the data and make changes untill it worked. I will keep you posted on the results and development of the car. Spring is almost here, so it won't be long before this bench racing becomes real racing .
It does makes sense the way u explained it. I guess we will see if it works. Iam looking at doing a turbo build in the future for my Lt1 so iam very interested to see what the result is. Good luck and keep us posted!

Quick Reply: 383 LT1 SR cam 88mm turbo HD VIDEO part 3 The engine