LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why do I smell gas?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 01:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS#502
My car had a strong smell of gas from under the hood only when the car was running, ended-up being the #7 spark plug had worked it's way loose and was blowing-by.
Happened to me with #5.. Checked that first lol... but willl check lines and stuff and let you all know what it is so i can know what to do about it.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by importben
ok so what do i need to do.. replace? delete? what..?
Assuming you isolate the problem to the EVAP system.

Check the EVAP solenoid on the right side of the intake. Pull the hose and see if it is clogged up with small charcoal beads. There is a small foam filter at the top of the cannister that is supposed to retain the charcoal. When this filter tears, all the beads get sucked through the line and clog the system up.

If it is, you will need to most likely replace the EVAP solenoid and the charcoal cannister. Then you will have to get all the charcoal out of the line that runs from the cannister in the rear of the car all the way to the solenoid. If your luck, compressed air will do the job. I had an awful time cleaning the plastic tube that wraps around the front of the intake.

If you want to delete it. You will need to cap off the inlet on the TB and block off the vent from the tank to the cannister. You will then need to install a vented gas cap or drill holes in your current cap so it will properly vent. The car will still smell like gas if you delete the EVAP which is really no different from the cars of the W's.

I chose to keep my EVAP system in place cause I don't want the smell and they claim it aids in MPG but only slightly. There is no performance gain period from deleting the EVAP system.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Our motor sits far back into the engine bay. It seems like that gas smell is just a common problem.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so checked evap system... decided to make ribs on the pit with all the charcoal in that line..

It's packed from point A to point B... not even the greatest girl in the world can suck anything out of that line..

so that beings said canister is bad.. so should i replace that and try blowing the line out er what??

Quick Reply: Why do I smell gas?!?!