LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1994 Z28 Headers and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so if I go Pace Setters, do I need the AIR or whatever cutouts or not?? Cause there are both on Jegs (with and without cutouts)
Old 03-03-2010, 01:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28Dustin
Ok, so if I go Pace Setters, do I need the AIR or whatever cutouts or not?? Cause there are both on Jegs (with and without cutouts)
If you plan on keeping your emissions components (both AIR and EGR), you will need the headers with those fittings.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:58 PM

So, basically, if I go headers into cat-back, I'm doing it because it's cheaper and will pass emissions. If emissions is a non-issue, then would you still say cat-back anyway, or would you then say go with duals, and screw the AIR, EGR stuff altogether?
Old 03-03-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

So, basically, if I go headers into cat-back, I'm doing it because it's cheaper and will pass emissions. If emissions is a non-issue, then would you still say cat-back anyway, or would you then say go with duals, and screw the AIR, EGR stuff altogether?
The cat-back system is independent of the emissions components, so that doesn't matter. Either way I'd stick with the cat-back system for your application.

You can get headers with or without emissions fittings. The work is a bit more involved if you opt to remove the emissions stuff. Block-off plates must be installed and the AIR system must be removed, adding marginal cost to your already high labor expenses. Not to mention, some shops may refuse to remove emissions components.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Also, are you guys in agreement that 2.5'' would be better than 3''?
In terms of a catback you want a single 3", 2.5" will choke the car. In terms of running true duals you would want dual 2.5" at your power level, dual 3" is overkill for you right now and would hurt low-end torque.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Long tubes + GMMG catback FTW...

true duals are not needed and will provide little to no performance gain over a well engineered catback for a bolt on car.

Also, if emissions are not an issue, ditch the cats, EGR/AIR pump garbage-then you will not need the fittings on top of your headers...By doing this it makes the engine bay a little cleaner, drops a few lbs (9ish pounds I think?), and frees up a pony or two.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:07 PM
TECH Regular

Also, are you guys in agreement that 2.5'' would be better than 3''?
I would agree with that, that is a lot of flow.

I would recommend something besides a slowmaster, no one here uses them. Hooker aerochambers, magnaflows, bullets of some sort are what most use. I don't know how much I would listen to someone who is telling me to put flowmasters on.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:06 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Most, if not all, catbacks for these cars are going to be 3". The stock exhaust is 2.75".
Old 03-03-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BTC
Most, if not all, catbacks for these cars are going to be 3". The stock exhaust is 2.75".
Mufflex offers 3.5 inch and 4 inch as well in their catbacks. Also, many use smaller than 3 inch after the muffler. Many are 3 in / dual 2.5 or 2.75 out
Old 03-03-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Long tubes + GMMG catback FTW...

true duals are not needed and will provide little to no performance gain over a well engineered catback for a bolt on car.

Also, if emissions are not an issue, ditch the cats, EGR/AIR pump garbage-then you will not need the fittings on top of your headers...By doing this it makes the engine bay a little cleaner, drops a few lbs (9ish pounds I think?), and frees up a pony or two.
Deleting emissions components won't increase HP.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Deleting emissions components won't increase HP.
See originally, I didn't think it would either, I don't see why it would.
It's not belt driven and it only runs when the car is first started, correct?
Old 03-04-2010, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

See originally, I didn't think it would either, I don't see why it would.
It's not belt driven and it only runs when the car is first started, correct?
But in your post, you said it would...what was your reasoning then?
Old 03-04-2010, 10:05 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Mufflex offers 3.5 inch and 4 inch as well in their catbacks. Also, many use smaller than 3 inch after the muffler. Many are 3 in / dual 2.5 or 2.75 out
Yes, Mufflex, and possibly others, offer systems larger than 3", but based on what I've seen, the vast majority of aftermarket catbacks for these cars are going to be 3". I probably should not have said "if not all" because I knew that wasn't true immediately after typing it. $hit happens when you're in a hurry.

I would still recommend going stainless if the OP intends to keep his car for awhile, and is willing to spend up to 1K for his exhaust system. That's just me. I'm not a fan of things that rust.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by BTC
Yes, Mufflex, and possibly others, offer systems larger than 3", but based on what I've seen, the vast majority of aftermarket catbacks for these cars are going to be 3". I probably should not have said "if not all" because I knew that wasn't true immediately after typing it. $hit happens when you're in a hurry.

I would still recommend going stainless if the OP intends to keep his car for awhile, and is willing to spend up to 1K for his exhaust system. That's just me. I'm not a fan of things that rust.
He has 1k to spend including the labor lol! Thats why I suggested pacesetter lt's and a hooker catback, STAINLESS is not in his budget. Yes stainless is the best obviously, but not everybody can afford it... No lpp's are not 500 w/ a y, try 650.00 and a magnaflow catback is 400+, wich= more than a 1000.00 before labor lol. You can get a set of ps lt's for 400 and a hooker cat back for 300 and that leaves you 300 for install(wich probably still wont be enough). Probably goin to have buy some stuff used in the fs section. Imo buy the headers new, get the cat back used and that should get you in at under a 1000.00 installed.

Last edited by kinglt-1; 03-04-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

I would get some cheap EBay stainless headers if the LPP's put him over his limit. If he's not going to do the labor himself, that's another issue entirely, and a point that I overlooked. In that case, I would recommend he buy all stainless and do the labor himself. It ain't rocket science. But,that's me, and I'm just throwing out alternatives. It never hurts to know all of your options.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
But in your post, you said it would...what was your reasoning then?
I've just been ripped apart a few times and people argue with me that it would add a few hp...some of them shop managers and people who SHOULD know a lot more about it than me...just figured they would know better than I would...
Old 03-04-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by BTC
I would get some cheap EBay stainless headers if the LPP's put him over his limit. If he's not going to do the labor himself, that's another issue entirely, and a point that I overlooked. In that case, I would recommend he buy all stainless and do the labor himself. It ain't rocket science. But,that's me, and I'm just throwing out alternatives. It never hurts to know all of your options.
I agree if the op can, go stainless! Nothing wrong with throwing options out there at all, what your recomending him is really the only way to go imo. Stainless is worth the extra money!! It wont happen for a 1000.00 tho, unless it's it's ebay headers with a magnaflow catback and he does all the labor.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:00 AM

Thanks for all the posts guys. I should say that my goal is/was to keep it under a grand. In reality, I could spend a little more than that. Of course, I could buy the headers and let them sit til I'm sure I can afford the cat-back. (Which seems to have officially be deemed better than duals lol) Also, concerning the labor, I assumed welding was involved, but even if it's not, I'm not sure I could find the time to do it myself.
However, if it's really as "easy" as some of you say, I suppose I could get the car up on some ramps and have a look-see. If I can clearly see what needs to be done, then I might possibly try to do it.
I have an old 89 Camry that just needs a new control arm. If I made that my primary project, then I could drive that while I work on putting the exhaust on the Camaro......
Old 03-05-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for all the posts guys. I should say that my goal is/was to keep it under a grand. In reality, I could spend a little more than that. Of course, I could buy the headers and let them sit til I'm sure I can afford the cat-back. (Which seems to have officially be deemed better than duals lol) Also, concerning the labor, I assumed welding was involved, but even if it's not, I'm not sure I could find the time to do it myself.
However, if it's really as "easy" as some of you say, I suppose I could get the car up on some ramps and have a look-see. If I can clearly see what needs to be done, then I might possibly try to do it.
I have an old 89 Camry that just needs a new control arm. If I made that my primary project, then I could drive that while I work on putting the exhaust on the Camaro......
The only way you'll ever learn is to get your hands dirty. I say go for it.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:19 AM

Hmmm, that's a good point. Plus if I get under there and can't figure it out, I could always resort to plan A, or get someone to help me.

So, do headers and/or a cat back system require welding at all?

Quick Reply: 1994 Z28 Headers and exhaust