LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1994 Z28 Headers and exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1994 Z28 Headers and exhaust

Hey eveybody. I'm not very knowledgable about moddifying, so I have a few questions about putting headers and probably duals on my 94 Z28. I got a K&N cai several months ago and got it on myself (easy) and it's working great, so now I'm ready to move on to the exhaust. This I won't be able to do myself, so if anyone knows a good shop, I'm in East Texas.

Ok, so a friend of mine recommended I get this:
Hooker longtube headers into 3'' duals with flowmasters and dumped at the rear axle. What are your opinions on this setup?

Also, what is the benefit of "dumping" the exhaust at the axle rather than running it further back? And what about the cat converter?

Thanks for any help guys, it's greatly appreciated.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well to be completely honest with a bolton car there is no point in going with 3 inch duals. You could go with 2.5 inch duals and have better ground clearance and net the same gains. It's not entirely easy to get cats to fit with a set up like that. In my honest opinion you would be better off just buying a nice catback. If you're wanting to keep the car emissions friendly you will need some cats on your car. That can get expensive to do but if you have the money it's worth it. If you don't live in an emissions county then I'd just do away with them. I don't know what a header install costs but if you had the time you could do it yourself with a good write up and a weekend. Hopefully this helps at least some.

Oh and about "dumping" the exhaust...It's very very hard to get duals all the way back and actually make them fit. That's a big reason why most ppl don't run them all the way back. Plus it gets expensive to pay someone to custum build a setup like that.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by za355tx
Well to be completely honest with a bolton car there is no point in going with 3 inch duals. You could go with 2.5 inch duals and have better ground clearance and net the same gains. It's not entirely easy to get cats to fit with a set up like that. In my honest opinion you would be better off just buying a nice catback. If you're wanting to keep the car emissions friendly you will need some cats on your car. That can get expensive to do but if you have the money it's worth it. If you don't live in an emissions county then I'd just do away with them. I don't know what a header install costs but if you had the time you could do it yourself with a good write up and a weekend. Hopefully this helps at least some.

Oh and about "dumping" the exhaust...It's very very hard to get duals all the way back and actually make them fit. That's a big reason why most ppl don't run them all the way back. Plus it gets expensive to pay someone to custum build a setup like that.
+1, perfect advice.

TSP has a great catback that is pretty cheap and faired almost identical gains as their true dual set up IIRC.

Unless you just really really want duals, I would do a catback system, I switched from a 2.5" true dual set up to gain the ground clearance since I want to lower it. That and the dumps weren't helping in my area.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:37 AM

Hmm, ok, you're saying get a catback system with no headers? Cause I was pretty much set on getting some nice headers and a nice exhaust too. I'm going to try and check with the place I always get my inspection done tomorrow. I'm pretty sure Hunt County doesn't check emissions, but I'll tell them my plans and see if it will be a problem or not.

Thanks for the quick reply, and I see you're in DFW...you going to the auto show this week?
Old 03-03-2010, 12:39 AM

Oh you're saying cat-back instead of duals....keep the headers.....Yeah, that sounds a little better maybe.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:50 AM

If it helps any, the most I would like to spend is $1,000. Of course, something almost as good that costs a lot less is definately an option...
Old 03-03-2010, 01:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd recommend Pacesetter long tubes or LPPs mated to a Hooker cat-back with a cat (if you still need it). That will leave you with $$$ left over for the install since you can't do it yourself.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:45 AM

Why not Hooker longtubes with Hooker cat-back? Are Pacesetters better than Hookers?

I think the cat-back instead of duals is the way to go if I have to have a cat, which I propbably will. But, just in case a cat is not required by law, would you then recommend dumped duals, or still a cat back?
Old 03-03-2010, 01:50 AM

Hookers are better bet you have a budget. Go look at the price of hooker headers and that will answer your question.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

The big thing you have to consider is price for install. You've got $1000, and about half of that is going to get eaten up by the labor. Headers are not exactly a 1 hour job. Typically it can take anywhere from 4 to 12 hours (depending on a ton of variables), PLUS the labor for the cat-back system itself.

Out of curiosity, why can't you do the install yourself and save a ****-ton of change?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:44 AM

Well, for one I doubt I have the tools necessary to get the car up high enough. Plus the only work I've ever done has been oil changes, replacing hoses, spark plugs, cai, stuff like that...a little different than headers. Plus, I don't have a lot of spare time. I'm a full time student and have to work, and with this being the only (running) car I have right now, I'd rather spend the cash to know it's done correctly.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:21 AM

What's your opinion on these Pace Setters on Jegs? Part # 70-2235
Old 03-03-2010, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to ask a question about those. what is the point in having AIR fittings on a long lube? I didn't think long tubes would pass emissions?
Old 03-03-2010, 10:30 AM

? No clue, but I think there were others without those fittings...
Old 03-03-2010, 11:14 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

With 1,000 bucks, you could probably get some of the cheaper stainless headers, and a catback. Personally, I wouldn't consider anything but stainless for both. I'm not sure what a Magnaflow catback costs, but I don't think they're terribly expensive.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

as ramair95ta said, a ceramic coated set of of pacesetters with a hooker catback should fit your budget. stainless will put you over the 1000.00 limit. There are cheap sets of stainless headers on ebay, but I have no experience with them. Id stick with whats proven...pacesetter,hooker, lpp, kooks etc...
Old 03-03-2010, 12:13 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Aren't LPP's less than $500 bucks, with a Y? Isn't a Magnaflow catback less than $500? If I were planning to keep the car for any length of time, I would at least see what my options are with regards to a 100% stainless exhaust system.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:41 PM

Ok, say I did what the majority is saying so far: Pace Setter long tube headers with some type of cat back system. What about the mufflers? Would they be included in a cat-back system? If so, what would sound best in your opinions, Hooker cat-back (with I assume Hooker mufflers?) Or would it be best to find a shop to build a cat-back or buy a kit online?

Sorry for the lack of info, but you guys are helping me out big time.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

A cat-back system is just that - it includes everything from the cat back, including the muffler (only one muffler, not two). The Hooker Aerochamber is a very popular cat-back and sounds quite good. I'd buy everything online, then bring it to the shop.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:45 PM

Also, are you guys in agreement that 2.5'' would be better than 3''?

Quick Reply: 1994 Z28 Headers and exhaust