LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

exhaust , Dual or single?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust , Dual or single?

I'm looking for a catback exhaust for my fairly stock 97z (heads and CAI). I favor the single exhaust look over the dual exhaust look, but would I be losing power with the single exit style? The only brand I can find that makes a single exhaust style is Flowmaster, but someone told me there cat backs are garbage. Is that true or they dumbasses?
Old 03-03-2010, 05:18 AM
Staging Lane

The only time I have personally seen a single exhaust 4th gen was one with a STS Turbo on it and one side sucks in air and is hidden under the car and one exhaust pipe came out and I always wanted to try the STS but if I had to use a single exhaust, there is no way I would do it. Duals look way better imo.I really dont think you would lose power though because the duals are actually two pipes coming out of one muffler. I'm no expert though. I'm sure there are people on here who would know. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

No their not Garbage but there are better ones out there, most people will agree Flowmaster sound awesome but their performance falls way short of Borla,Hooker, Corsica etc. As for the single exhaust hell you could buy a SLP Bullet muffler and simply run it as a single over the axle and out on side with no problen whatsoever.

Also there is Mufflex with the link below.

http://www.mufflex-performance.com/brochure.html
Old 03-03-2010, 06:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go with mufflex!
Old 03-03-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Type 2OTL exhaust into Google. That's a nice exhaust right there. It'll be hard to find though.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ponch95
No their not Garbage but there are better ones out there, most people will agree Flowmaster sound awesome but their performance falls way short of Borla,Hooker, Corsica etc. As for the single exhaust hell you could buy a SLP Bullet muffler and simply run it as a single over the axle and out on side with no problen whatsoever.

Also there is Mufflex with the link below.

http://www.mufflex-performance.com/brochure.html
you heard the man, go to the junk yard an find an early 90's chevy corsica and get the exhaust off that for optimal flow/sound...haha jk I'm sure he meant "Corsa"

I had a flowmaster and I HATED the sound up top. Idle was ok, accelerating was ok, but above 4500 rpm's it was raspy and sounded like crap, especially on the decel as well.

If you check out "Mufflex" exhaust, they have awesome catbacks that have single pipes. They offer a few difference sizes ranging from 3 inch - 4inch, and they also have 2 or 3 different mufflers to choose from. They are probably the highest quality single exhaust out there.

here's a link to their site's fbody catalog:
http://www.mufflex-performance.com/fbody_1.html
Old 03-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Launching!

2otl for the win!! its hard to find as a complete catback but ive made my own on my previous car with 3'' intermediate pipe with a magnaflow single 3'' dual 2.25'' exit and ran it the same way as the slp 2otl and sounded great. its pretty easy and very cost effective than a complete catback if your on a budget.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:27 PM

Thanks for all of the help guys. I ended up choosing the 82351CS from the mufflex site.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:37 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Where you talking about dual/single exhaust tips or dual/single pipe all the way back?
Old 03-03-2010, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FeedMeMustangs
Thanks for all of the help guys. I ended up choosing the 82351CS from the mufflex site.
good choice, If I went with mufflex, I would've chosen that one as well. I've heard some great sounding spintech's in the past...enjoy it, and post up some pics of the install when it's done-not many people choose mufflex
Old 03-03-2010, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

just get some turn outs after the collectors LOL that will **** of the neighbors!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
you heard the man, go to the junk yard an find an early 90's chevy corsica and get the exhaust off that for optimal flow/sound...haha jk I'm sure he meant "Corsa"

I had a flowmaster and I HATED the sound up top. Idle was ok, accelerating was ok, but above 4500 rpm's it was raspy and sounded like crap, especially on the decel as well.

If you check out "Mufflex" exhaust, they have awesome catbacks that have single pipes. They offer a few difference sizes ranging from 3 inch - 4inch, and they also have 2 or 3 different mufflers to choose from. They are probably the highest quality single exhaust out there.

here's a link to their site's fbody catalog:
http://www.mufflex-performance.com/fbody_1.html

ROFL man it was a looonnggg day yesterday, Corsica....that's funny! at least I can laugh at myself.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FeedMeMustangs
looking at the year you listed for car, you said it was a 97. the part number for the exhaust you have chosen is for a third gen. i think you may be wanting item number 93351CS. it is the same setup as the kit you have listed, only it fits a 97 model fbody.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ponch95
ROFL man it was a looonnggg day yesterday, Corsica....that's funny! at least I can laugh at myself.
Lol, yea I was hopin I wasn't bein too big of a dick...just thought I'd point it out lol...

Originally Posted by firehawk238
looking at the year you listed for car, you said it was a 97. the part number for the exhaust you have chosen is for a third gen. i think you may be wanting item number 93351CS. it is the same setup as the kit you have listed, only it fits a 97 model fbody.
Oops, I looked at it too, he's right. I didn't catch it first glance either...mite wanna get that switched!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:06 AM
10 Second Club

fwiw i picked up 10rwhp with over my 3" ypipe and 4" single, with a cutout at the axle.

Quick Reply: exhaust , Dual or single?