LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Train-wreck... Runnin great and now it ain't... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 04:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Train-wreck... Runnin great and now it ain't... HELP!

We're down again... not sure what the hell is going on...

But she bogged on me when I was heading to the track last Sunday... She was runnin' fine... all indications were that we were in great shape...

Pulled up to an intersection to make a right turn and she just bogged as we got right to the intersection and approached idle..

Power braked it, to keep her from stalling; Scanned the gauges, everythings normal; and made the turn; when I got back on the gas she was clackin' and missing like a murph...

Got back out of it, scanned the gauges again and still everything's fine...

Slowly powered back up and she's not as bad as the first time, but clearly missing... or running rough; but one helluva long way from good.

I was on a two lane with steep shoulders and didn't want to pull off road... the exhaust just won't let that happen in most places; but I limped her on down the road about a mile or so to a gas station... popped the lid and it sounded like the pistons were swapping holes. Definitely NOT GOOD... Shut 'er off... called for the tow... (Dude hosed me for nearly 2 bills... Let that be a lesson to ya... Don't break down on Sunday afternoon...)

Was SURE that I'd spun a bearing or something... although I've never heard what a car sounds like when it's spun a bearing; so I dunno.

We towed her back to The Jim... and I fired it up for the guys to listen to it and the concensus was that it wasn't a bearing; they seemed to think it was yet another broken spring...

Couple of days later, I got the VC off the side that was clackin' (Drivers side) and we didn't find any broken springs... but we DID find that the oil system was barely puttin' out any oil.

Usually the oiling ports in the pushrods will spew oil; making a mess in a damn hurry all over the body near the top of the strut, back through the headers... not now; there's oil coming through, but its a flaccid little stream...

Theories are flyin'... smoked bearing which is letting oil gush through... crushed filter... But word is that we're probably looking at yankin' the motor... maybe we'll get into it this week-end; but I doubt it...

Anyone run across this one before?

FTR: There's no leaks; it's not burning oil... the Oil Pressure indicates normal, but it's been acting weird lately. And it's been intermittent... usually the pressure runs right @ 60 lbs under throttle... and at idle she goes to the mid way point maybe a little less, a needle width or two... lately; at idle, she wants to hang around 1/4 on the gauge... and occasionally she registers between 40 and 60 lbs under power. turn it off for a half hour and she goes right back to normal.

Also... we can definitely hear the 'pft pft' of a leak in the back side of the top end... almost sounds like a leak in the header gasket; but I felt around and I couldn't feel the gasses coming out; one of the guys thought it might be leaking at the intake, explaining the idle issue... sprayed the brake clean around to see if she'd idle up if we hit the leak... but you know how much room ya don't have back there... So the Idle thing could be that we popped an intake gasket... despite the ridiculous, maticulous care I took when I was bolting that back on at the end of the re-build 14k miles ago...

Oh! One more thing... Lately I've noticed that she's blowing water out the exhaust... It's usually right at start up and doesn't seem to do it after she's warmed up... The guys tell me not to worry about that; that it's normal... and I know what they're talkin' about; condensation in the exhaust; but during the check I described above; one of the guys; who is not a mechanic; came over and let me know that she was leaking water out of the exhaust... it was a fairly decent stream of water, more than one would expect from condensation... and whats more... is that I've been having to constantly fill the radiator lately...

Would a head gasket cause this? It seems to make sense, because it feels just like it's missing on one cylinder... and it sure sounds like it... and I remember during the rebuild that the old gasket on the driver's side, at the back had nearly burned through... and if memoryserves; I seem to recall that there was a water channel right near there... and I'm not seeing water/coolant leak anywhere else...

Any insight or experience ya might have with this would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Anxious In Naples...

Last edited by OVA1; 03-05-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

i didnt read any of your post but that spoiler on your camaro is absolutely horrendous. burn it with FIRE
Old 03-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nik1703
i didnt read any of your post but that spoiler on your camaro is absolutely horrendous. burn it with FIRE
I didn't read any of it either....

But I agree, torch that ugly *** spoiler.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Addict

AFTER you burn the spoiler ! Go back and take out all the run off stories and give us the cliff notes on what the car is doing. NOBODY wants to hear your stoy man. If you want help tell us what its doing AND THATS IT PERIOD !!!
Old 03-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

It reads like you indeed may have a blown head gasket. Didn't see anything about temperature in your post. Is that fluctuating? Have you checked your oil to see that it is still oil? You could have antifreeze in the oil and that could have wiped out your bearings causing the clacking you hear now. Whatever the case may be it looks like it may be time for the heads and intake to come off to see what's happening.
Take your plugs out and see if there are any that appear cleaner than others. If you spot one or more that are those could be the cylinders coolant is leaking into.

Originally Posted by djjab57
AFTER you burn the spoiler ! Go back and take out all the run off stories and give us the cliff notes on what the car is doing. NOBODY wants to hear your stoy man. If you want help tell us what its doing AND THATS IT PERIOD !!!
Actually his story is very thorough.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me that people complain about READING on a WEB forum .

It is always best to be as thorough as possible to help with diagnosing problems.

I would start with what RRR said and pull all the plugs to compare against each other. Honestly sounds like you have more then one problem going on at one time.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS RRR
It reads like you indeed may have a blown head gasket. Didn't see anything about temperature in your post. Is that fluctuating?
Temp is normal...

Have you checked your oil to see that it is still oil? You could have antifreeze in the oil and that could have wiped out your bearings causing the clacking you hear now.
Checked the Oil and the thing I noticed is it has gotten very dirty, very fast.

Whatever the case may be it looks like it may be time for the heads and intake to come off to see what's happening.
Take your plugs out and see if there are any that appear cleaner than others. If you spot one or more that are those could be the cylinders coolant is leaking into.

Actually his story is very thorough.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input... I'll be pullin' the plugs today...

And with regard to the guffaw above; they're likely just sufferin' NSE... "Nasty Spoiler Envy" It happens... and it's never pretty; the only known cure is to build a car that is capable of taking down the subject their obsession...

Which is a line that usually works better; pretty much anywhere else, except the thread asking for help to get the pile moving again... But hey... life's just a series of compromises...

And it's true that the full on ***-shot doesn't really do her justice; try this one...

Old 03-06-2010, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
It never ceases to amaze me that people complain about READING on a WEB forum .

It is always best to be as thorough as possible to help with diagnosing problems.

I would start with what RRR said and pull all the plugs to compare against each other. Honestly sounds like you have more then one problem going on at one time.

Oh Hey Puck... How's it hangin'?

As always, I 'preciatecha... we'll pull the plugs and see where we're at.

Looks like this could be the opportunity I've been waiting for to slap on the ported AFR heads I bought last year. And if I have to yank the engine, I'll like cam'er up a notch or two.

Think the new breather's will compliment the 5.13s? Could get ugly...
Old 03-06-2010, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry, that is one UGLY *** car. Do you actually drive that in public?

wow, dont poke the bear. lol
Old 03-06-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by OVA1
Oh Hey Puck... How's it hangin'?

As always, I 'preciatecha... we'll pull the plugs and see where we're at.

Looks like this could be the opportunity I've been waiting for to slap on the ported AFR heads I bought last year. And if I have to yank the engine, I'll like cam'er up a notch or two.

Think the new breather's will compliment the 5.13s? Could get ugly...
You know you wanna!! That thing will be nasty with those heads and a spec'd cam. It already hauls with the tiny little baby cam .

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
sorry, that is one UGLY *** car. Do you actually drive that in public?
Its all business - I think it looks pretty badass. Its not like the million other black/dropped 1"/ZR1 build that every other f-body has.

Either way, it bitchslaps half of the slow garbage LT1s on this site anyway, and at the end of the day whats what really matters . With a 218* cam to boot!
Old 03-06-2010, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Puck
You know you wanna!! That thing will be nasty with those heads and a spec'd cam. It already hauls with the tiny little baby cam .

Its all business - I think it looks pretty badass. Its not like the million other black/dropped 1"/ZR1 build that every other f-body has.

Either way, it bitchslaps half of the slow garbage LT1s on this site anyway, and at the end of the day whats what really matters . With a 218* cam to boot!
Preach the word, Brother...

And I DO wanna... and I am GONNA~!

I've noticed that the faster that car goes... the uglier she gets... or at least that's the trend, from the bleachers...
Old 03-06-2010, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by puck
you know you wanna!! That thing will be nasty with those heads and a spec'd cam. It already hauls with the tiny little baby cam .

Its all business - i think it looks pretty badass. Its not like the million other black/dropped 1"/zr1 build that every other f-body has.

Either way, it bitchslaps half of the slow garbage lt1s on this site anyway, and at the end of the day whats what really matters . With a 218* cam to boot!
Old 03-06-2010, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93BlackZ28
LOL... Present company accepted, of course...
Old 03-06-2010, 05:49 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a spoiler like this! Less is more sometimes.

ele-blue95's car now owned by sceneiskeen

Last edited by LT1; 03-06-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1

Oh! ... Yeah man that's NICE!

But I bought this car from my nephew... who for reasons unknown slapped on the TA trim...

To be honest I intended to change it; then we started racin' and went through the rebuild and it just sorta grew on me.

Now there's not much that could make me change it now... Anyone that runs around here knows that car and I gotta be honest; of those that have either run her or seen her run; not one has ever commented on the trim.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 93BlackZ28
No offense!

Not saying it looks bad - thats a damn sexy Z - but sometimes different isnt a bad thing .

Old 03-06-2010, 08:07 PM
12 Second Club

Hahaha no offense taken man, I actually get compliments on the car all the time
Old 03-07-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LT1

I have to have this SS spoiler, where did you all purchase it at! Amazing looking car. It would look great with my 3" SS hood. Damn nice, info would be great!

Last edited by 94BlueZ28; 03-07-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:36 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This style of spoiler came on the 98 - 02 Camaro SS

There's a lot of company's that make aftermarket versions of it. I'm sure one of the sponsor's sell them.

RKsport sells them too (i dont know if they are a sponsor)
http://www.rksport.com/main/part_det...mdid=1&catid=4
Old 03-08-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Resident

$395.95 seem really high to me for a spoiler and that doesn't even include shipping. Is the quality that much better than some of these other places offering them any where from $125 up to around this price for a spoiler? For that amount of money I would think it would be painted. I was thinking I might fined one for around $200 and have it painted for $125 or so. I guess I'll be keeping my eye out.

Quick Reply: Train-wreck... Runnin great and now it ain't... HELP!