LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 vs Ls1

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bleakdragonmage
You could probably find a complete used one for 300-600 depending on what it comes with. I got mine for 475 shipped and it came with the nitrous kit, 100hp jets, purge valve, msd ignition box, window switch, and all the wiring for a LT1.
Sorry should have phrased that better i have a nitrous kit and i want to take it out and sell it but i wouldnt even know what price to even start with. Its only been used 3 times.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

youll need to know more about the kit and what all comes with it in order to price it. having that low a gear in an automatic car is killing for a 1/4 mile run. ill give you a pretty good example. have a friend who has a 97 trans am A4 with 3600 stall, moser 12 bolt with 4.11 gears, long tubes with a single bullet muffler and dump before axle, and even a lloyd elliott cam. my 95 formula firehawk has alot more mods than him, but he would keep up with me door to door for the first 1/8 mile, but after that i just walked away from him. if he had the 3.73 gears that work better for the A4 cars, he would run right with me all the way. another problem you will have the 4.10s and a stall is that you will be running in your primary power band with the stall, but putting more power to the tires too fast you may end up spinning them and not getting anywhere. even with drag radials. the stall is gonna help alot, but the gear you have is killing your top end and that is where your friend is killing you. another thing is that an LS engine breathes much better than the LT on the top end. also im not sure what is "old fashioned" about not using nitrous. nitrous has been around for decades. its nothing new. just like turbos and superchargers. you may not like the idea of the nitrous, but even if you are only using a 100hp shot, you will sell your kit for a few hundred dollars, and then spend over a grand to gain back 40-50hp with a cam swap. doesnt seem very economical to me. the biggest reason i went to nitrous was after i beat down an EVO in a street race everyone was so certain that i had nitrous on my car because of how fast i ran him down and passed him. i even showed them the car, and got told that i was hiding my bottle and lines. so as not to make liars out of them, i did get nitrous. now they can accuse me of it all day long, cause its there and i dont hide it at all!
Old 03-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Save up your money and plan for putting a turbo on. If your like me, i constantly want more power so spending on a NA build becomes way too much for the end out come. Its more expensive in the beginning for a turbo setup but once the setup is in place, there is a crazy amount of potential to be had. Way more than trying to stay NA.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk238
youll need to know more about the kit and what all comes with it in order to price it. having that low a gear in an automatic car is killing for a 1/4 mile run. ill give you a pretty good example. have a friend who has a 97 trans am A4 with 3600 stall, moser 12 bolt with 4.11 gears, long tubes with a single bullet muffler and dump before axle, and even a lloyd elliott cam. my 95 formula firehawk has alot more mods than him, but he would keep up with me door to door for the first 1/8 mile, but after that i just walked away from him. if he had the 3.73 gears that work better for the A4 cars, he would run right with me all the way. another problem you will have the 4.10s and a stall is that you will be running in your primary power band with the stall, but putting more power to the tires too fast you may end up spinning them and not getting anywhere. even with drag radials. the stall is gonna help alot, but the gear you have is killing your top end and that is where your friend is killing you. another thing is that an LS engine breathes much better than the LT on the top end. also im not sure what is "old fashioned" about not using nitrous. nitrous has been around for decades. its nothing new. just like turbos and superchargers. you may not like the idea of the nitrous, but even if you are only using a 100hp shot, you will sell your kit for a few hundred dollars, and then spend over a grand to gain back 40-50hp with a cam swap. doesnt seem very economical to me. the biggest reason i went to nitrous was after i beat down an EVO in a street race everyone was so certain that i had nitrous on my car because of how fast i ran him down and passed him. i even showed them the car, and got told that i was hiding my bottle and lines. so as not to make liars out of them, i did get nitrous. now they can accuse me of it all day long, cause its there and i dont hide it at all!
This is totally incorrect.

Of course it depends on the cars weight, cam, tires, and if it is NA or not, but in general 4.11s are better in the 1/4 in every way for an automatic. 3.73s are just for people worried about gas mileage. 4.11s do not pull any weaker up top then 3.73s - you pull harder from idle to redline, you just run out of rpms quicker. You only walked away from your friend because you admit you have "alot more mods".

4.11s on an auto on the highway is almost the same effective gearing as leaving 3.73s on "D" instead of OD. Not nearly as dramatic as some would let you think.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

you already have the nitrous, hook it up and blow his doors off! theres tons of people spraying 100-150shots on +100k LT1's. if your worried about it get some smaller jets like 75-50hp even and you'll still be smoking him. take your $1200 and get a stall and trans cooler like some one said and what ever parts(if any) you'll need to make the n2o set up done right. don't be scared! selling it to spend more $$$ on less of a HP gain isn't too smart..
Old 03-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Launching!

Tannys are not really my specialty should i just rebuild the trany and then put the stall converter in. Cause you have to take the trany out to install it right
Old 03-07-2010, 03:32 PM
Teching In

You do have to remove the tranny to install a stall, but if your tranny is fine you dont need to rebuild it yet, unless you plan on making a ton of power down the road.

I say get a stall to, us a4's arent making good use of the power we make since the current stall falls on it race mid-range of power band. I think the stock stall is a patathic 1800 (if that high) or something, its bad.

Throw a 3000 to 3200 stall in there and get a tranny cooler. I have a tranny cooler install and was going to put my stall in along with finally fix my rear seal but of course other issues come up and there goes that tax money. Maybe next year, at least I got the tranny cooler in.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Yeah i think ill have to rebuild the tranny i dont trust it. The shift solenoid has gone out twice on it in the last year so ill probably get a rebuild in there and put the stall in
Old 03-07-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by earl lee
You do have to remove the tranny to install a stall, but if your tranny is fine you dont need to rebuild it yet, unless you plan on making a ton of power down the road.

I say get a stall to, us a4's arent making good use of the power we make since the current stall falls on it race mid-range of power band. I think the stock stall is a patathic 1800 (if that high) or something, its bad.

Throw a 3000 to 3200 stall in there and get a tranny cooler. I have a tranny cooler install and was going to put my stall in along with finally fix my rear seal but of course other issues come up and there goes that tax money. Maybe next year, at least I got the tranny cooler in.
Yep, stock is 1600-1800, and is horrible for performance.

You can see half a second in the quarter just from a stall...hands down the BEST mod for an automatic.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

definitely get a convertor. no doubt about it.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Ok cool def next mod then ill just do the rebuilt tranny and but a stall in it
Thanks guys
Old 03-07-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would defiantly use the nitrous kit You will most likly be shifting into over drive with those 4.10's though. Ask me how I know lol Buy a mallory 685 box to control when the nitrous comes on and you should be good to go oh yea throw some tr6 plugs in and pull some timing
Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

don't forget the shift kit
Old 03-08-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Puck
This is totally incorrect.

Of course it depends on the cars weight, cam, tires, and if it is NA or not, but in general 4.11s are better in the 1/4 in every way for an automatic. 3.73s are just for people worried about gas mileage. 4.11s do not pull any weaker up top then 3.73s - you pull harder from idle to redline, you just run out of rpms quicker. You only walked away from your friend because you admit you have "alot more mods".

4.11s on an auto on the highway is almost the same effective gearing as leaving 3.73s on "D" instead of OD. Not nearly as dramatic as some would let you think.

id just about be willing to bet that his drag radials are a 26" tall tire, and if that is the case, then he would be well into OD running through the traps with 4.10's. that is definately not optimal which is why most people use the 3.73 gears. not to do with mileage. its to keep them from having to retune everytime they swap out their street tires for drag trim. guys who like to run 1/8 mile with the A4 tend to lean in the direction of the 4.10s so that they are running right near the rev limiter in 3rd (1:1) at the traps. would you not agree that to achieve optimal performance a car should be near its rev limit in 1:1 gear at the end of the quarter?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pyro719
I would defiantly use the nitrous kit You will most likly be shifting into over drive with those 4.10's though. Ask me how I know lol Buy a mallory 685 box to control when the nitrous comes on and you should be good to go oh yea throw some tr6 plugs in and pull some timing
what would be the benefits of the tr6 plugs?
Old 03-08-2010, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the tr6's are a little colder than your stock plugs. Colder plugs are recomended for nitrous shots over 100 hp.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Launching!

I have ngk iridium plugs right now
Old 03-08-2010, 10:33 PM
12 Second Club

You're never going to catch me plus I have long tubes and Y pipe coming soon haha
Old 03-08-2010, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Drew24
Ok my cousin just got slp camaro ss and i lost to it horribly. I got him off the start. But then he came back and blew past me like i was standing still. What mods that are fairly cheap that i can do that will kinda give me a better chance in beating him. I have about 1200 dollars and want to keep it naturally aspirated. I was thinking about ported intake or lt4 intake
PROCHARGER!!!!!!! They are not to expensive for somethin that gives so much Hp
Old 03-08-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got a firehawk and all I really wanna do to it is some gears and a cam. Smoke every Ford in memphis.