LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ceramic coated headers VS Stainless headers????

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 02:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fergymoto
My ceramic coating lasted 2 years on my Jet Hot LT headers before the collectors were very rusty. I sent them in shortly before my warranty was up on the coating and when I got them back they looked great. Well then they only lasted about 3 months before looking like they did before. They were driven in rainy weather but never in snow or salt.
I am sorry to hear that you had some issues. Please PM or call me and I will get you worked out!

The biggest issue that we come across in this business is that most forget you have to upkeep the headers just as you do the rest of the car. When this is not done then you can and most of the time will see a short life span. Once a month or every other month hit them with a little polish and call it a day. They will look brand new for YEARS to come. My dad has a set that is over 25yrs old and look fresh as the day he unpacked them. Mine are over 8yrs old and still look ok. (I say ok as I am running a super charger in my GTO with MASSIVE heat) For those that don’t want to upkeep them then choose a color option that we have so you can install them and forget about them, although the colors run more than the Sterling or Extreme Sterling. Just something that is often forgotten or over looked. I am glad that you got them done and liked them other than the issues but as said please feel free to call me or PM me and I’ll work up a warranty rework for you!!!

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-19-2010, 02:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BTC
Because it won't???
Humm Ok... I would love for you to expound but ok...
Old 03-19-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jethot,
Thanks for the clarification on the temp drop and power gains as a result of the Jethot coating. It is useful for folks to make the decision as to coat the stainless or not.

I had some mid-tubes in the past that were coated and I had to polish them from time to time. Not something I really enjoyed having to do and that further prompted me to get the stainless headers for truly maintenance free use.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:37 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JET-HOT
Humm Ok... I would love for you to expound but ok...
There seems to be plenty of evidence on every automotive forum I read of mild steel headers rusting even after being ceramic coated. If that's not true, then I will admit that I have no idea what I'm talking about. Personally, I would never buy a set of coated mild steel headers and expect anything more than a delay in the onset of rust. I will also admit that I have no first hand experience with coated, mild steel headers.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am sorry to hear that you had some issues. Please PM or call me and I will get you worked out!

The biggest issue that we come across in this business is that most forget you have to upkeep the headers just as you do the rest of the car. When this is not done then you can and most of the time will see a short life span. Once a month or every other month hit them with a little polish and call it a day. They will look brand new for YEARS to come. My dad has a set that is over 25yrs old and look fresh as the day he unpacked them. Mine are over 8yrs old and still look ok. (I say ok as I am running a super charger in my GTO with MASSIVE heat) For those that don’t want to upkeep them then choose a color option that we have so you can install them and forget about them, although the colors run more than the Sterling or Extreme Sterling. Just something that is often forgotten or over looked. I am glad that you got them done and liked them other than the issues but as said please feel free to call me or PM me and I’ll work up a warranty rework for you!!!

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin,

I appreciate the offer and would love to take you up on that, but I don't have the headers anymore. I sold them last year when I parted out my LT1 drivetrain from my 1997 TA.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Launching!

FYI Jet Hot's coatings are no longer lifetime warranty, nor do they still honor their coatings that were sold with a lifetime warranty.

I had a set of jet hot headers that always leaked and rattled from the primary and the coating was trashed. Keep in mind I live in Cali where it rains maybe 5 times a year.

In Jet Hot's defense, they did offer me 15% off getting the headers recoated

Get a good quality stainless header and never worry about it again.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
FYI Jet Hot's coatings are no longer lifetime warranty, nor do they still honor their coatings that were sold with a lifetime warranty.

I had a set of jet hot headers that always leaked and rattled from the primary and the coating was trashed. Keep in mind I live in Cali where it rains maybe 5 times a year.

But you mean a coated SS or uncoated? I would preffer the uncoated because I like the different colors that SS turns into but am afraid i will be killing power if the coating really does bring underhood temps down. Has anyone ever taken a temp reading of both on the same car?
Old 03-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

My ceramic coated LTs have held up just fine
Old 03-21-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks,
Kevin
I did some un-intentional off-roading last year and got dust all over everything in the engine bay and it stuck right to the jet hot coating which is now rough and dull looking. is ther anything I can do besides for re-coating them?
Old 03-22-2010, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Quick94LT1
But you mean a coated SS or uncoated? I would preffer the uncoated because I like the different colors that SS turns into but am afraid i will be killing power if the coating really does bring underhood temps down. Has anyone ever taken a temp reading of both on the same car?
Theoretically coated SS headers should outperform uncoated SS headers but on a stock/bolt on car its probably so marginal that you'll never even notice. If you're looking to squeeze every last HP and you can justify the price then go for it, but if its just a cruiser then who cares?
Old 03-23-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Theoretically coated SS headers should outperform uncoated SS headers but on a stock/bolt on car its probably so marginal that you'll never even notice. If you're looking to squeeze every last HP and you can justify the price then go for it, but if its just a cruiser then who cares?

I will give up a few HP to ensure that I dont have to polish, remove, recoat the headers or fret over them because of rust. I like the natural finish of my uncoated stainless headers. Its just a street car, not a racer.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:43 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
I did some un-intentional off-roading last year and got dust all over everything in the engine bay and it stuck right to the jet hot coating which is now rough and dull looking. is ther anything I can do besides for re-coating them?
Hummm that’s a new one? The dirt is "stuck" to the coating? I would try to wash it first with some hot soap and water.... If you still have the ruff finish grab a Green Scotch Bright Pad and LIGHTLY massage the area, then some polish and see if that helps ya out. If not give me a call and I’ll help you out on the recoat!

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-23-2010, 02:46 PM
FormerVendor

We still have the Lifetime warranty so I am not sure what you were told, ALTHOUGH the warranty has changed yes. Shoot me an email or give me a call and I will see what I can do to get you taken care of!
Old 03-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Launching!

We still have the Lifetime warranty so I am not sure what you were told, ALTHOUGH the warranty has changed yes. Shoot me an email or give me a call and I will see what I can do to get you taken care of!
Thanks for the offer but I've since unloaded the headers and gotten a set of stainless steel headers.

When I called I was told there was a company buyout and so the lifetime warranty is no longer offered on the recoating. The worst part was the vibrating and leaking slip on primary which wouldn't seal no matter what I tried.

I'm sure you'd understand why I would be a bit frustrated especially after hearing you say that what I was told was apparently untrue. Anyways that's business and I'll just be sure to refer people to you if they have any questions as opposed to calling Jet Hot directly.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah those slip on primaries suck.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:54 PM
FormerVendor

Thanks for the offer but I've since unloaded the headers and gotten a set of stainless steel headers.

When I called I was told there was a company buyout and so the lifetime warranty is no longer offered on the recoating. The worst part was the vibrating and leaking slip on primary which wouldn't seal no matter what I tried.

I'm sure you'd understand why I would be a bit frustrated especially after hearing you say that what I was told was apparently untrue. Anyways that's business and I'll just be sure to refer people to you if they have any questions as opposed to calling Jet Hot directly.
Understand 100% I would be the same way. I am sorry you were and are frustrated! Just let me know if I can ever help you out in the future and I’ll do what I can to make it right for you. Not sure about the sealing issue that would have to be something I would dig much deeper into if you still had the headers. I’m always around so questions, concerns, complaints, I am ready to take em all!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my headers in 2005 and back then to my knowledge the warranty was either two years or three, I can't remember for sure.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Hummm that’s a new one? The dirt is "stuck" to the coating? I would try to wash it first with some hot soap and water.... If you still have the ruff finish grab a Green Scotch Bright Pad and LIGHTLY massage the area, then some polish and see if that helps ya out. If not give me a call and I’ll help you out on the recoat!

Thanks,
Kevin
yeah its BAKED right on! I imagine the headers were scorching hot, I ran the engine extremely hard for 10-20mins w/ a couple of minutes sitting steady @ 5700rpm. thanks for the reply, I'll try the scotch pads & polish and see if I can get some of it off w/o taking the coating w/ it if not I'll start saving for a re-coat.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by fergymoto
I bought my headers in 2005 and back then to my knowledge the warranty was either two years or three, I can't remember for sure.
The warranty is 3years @ 100% and prorated after not to exceed 50% of the current rate of coating.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
yeah its BAKED right on! I imagine the headers were scorching hot, I ran the engine extremely hard for 10-20mins w/ a couple of minutes sitting steady @ 5700rpm. thanks for the reply, I'll try the scotch pads & polish and see if I can get some of it off w/o taking the coating w/ it if not I'll start saving for a re-coat.
Just let me know what happens and if you have pictures that might help me give you a little better direction. Worse case we recoat and Ill work a deal out for you!

Thanks,
Kevin

Quick Reply: Ceramic coated headers VS Stainless headers????