LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ceramic coated headers VS Stainless headers????

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quick94LT1
Ok Im about to inverst in some Longtubes and was wondering what the advantages were if any in having ceramic coated headers. I love the look of stainless headers but and worried that the underhood temps would be too high? Does the ceramic coat aid that much im lowering temps? I live in California so rust is not an issue, please help me decide, also who makes stainless headers?
Go with stainless, Please.

These were brand new mild steel headers. Sent to a "Leader in the industry" to be coated inside and out. These are on a drag only car that is either in an enclosed trailer, in a garage or at the drag strip. Even if your in Cali, rust is an issue.

Name:  IMG_1829.jpg
Views: 5432
Size:  93.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2238.jpg
Views: 4295
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2233.jpg
Views: 4193
Size:  75.1 KB

Inside the tube where the coating failed after 3 years of use....

Name:  IMG_1833.jpg
Views: 4458
Size:  54.4 KB

Originally Posted by JET-HOT
The biggest issue that we come across in this business is that most forget you have to upkeep the headers just as you do the rest of the car. When this is not done then you can and most of the time will see a short life span. Once a month or every other month hit them with a little polish and call it a day. They will look brand new for YEARS to come. Thanks,
Kevin

C'mon.... How are you going to polish the inside of the tubes? Part of your companies marketing is that you coat the inside of the headers. How am i going to get inside with polish?

Name:  IMG_2239.jpg
Views: 4187
Size:  70.6 KB

Here is a pile of rust when you tap the header on the ground. at this rate they will rust away from the inside out.

Name:  IMG_2231.jpg
Views: 4043
Size:  167.1 KB
Old 05-04-2010, 03:29 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

I want to ask all of you, how much does rust effect performance?

How much does the shine of the headers and their mirror look effect your engine's efficiency.

I cannot understand why it must be stainless to shine, its not like your going to eat off of it?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:27 AM
On The Tree

Rust wont effect anything, and I have had my arizona speed and marine headers on my car for over 8 years. Yes they rusted like crazy since I daily drove the car in Ohio all season for 4-5 of those years. At the rate these are rusting It would take 20 years to eat through but the primary's on these ASM mids are incedibly thick compared to my stainless long tubes or buds hooker long tubes. They look a thousand time worse than the above poster and I could care less as its mild steel it WILL ALWAYS RUST.

Im actually just going to bead blast them then high temp coat them or get my friend to powder coat them. Im throwing them and my borla on my fathers car and I promise they will be on that Z for another 20 years. I also had the all mighty jet hot coating inside and out and was very pleased with it, lasted for as long as I expected them to on a winter salt belt car. Not one time did I think I would call jet hot and bitch that there product didnt work as it performed flawless in my eyes.

My other friend has a 69Z28 with jet hot long tubes for about 10 years also, his look beautifull still to this day and all he does it wipes them every once and a while.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:52 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by STOCKTA
Rust wont effect anything, and I have had my arizona speed and marine headers on my car for over 8 years. Yes they rusted like crazy since I daily drove the car in Ohio all season for 4-5 of those years. At the rate these are rusting It would take 20 years to eat through but the primary's on these ASM mids are incedibly thick compared to my stainless long tubes or buds hooker long tubes. They look a thousand time worse than the above poster and I could care less as its mild steel it WILL ALWAYS RUST.

Im actually just going to bead blast them then high temp coat them or get my friend to powder coat them. Im throwing them and my borla on my fathers car and I promise they will be on that Z for another 20 years. I also had the all mighty jet hot coating inside and out and was very pleased with it, lasted for as long as I expected them to on a winter salt belt car. Not one time did I think I would call jet hot and bitch that there product didnt work as it performed flawless in my eyes.

My other friend has a 69Z28 with jet hot long tubes for about 10 years also, his look beautifull still to this day and all he does it wipes them every once and a while.
I know it has no performance effect, I just wanted all these people who are **** about rust on metal pipes to ask themselves this question.

What do you care what the underside of your car looks like? It means jack ****!
Old 05-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ADM
I know it has no performance effect, I just wanted all these people who are **** about rust on metal pipes to ask themselves this question.

I care what my stuff looks like. If I wanted rusted crap I'd spray bomb them and let them rust. But when a company like Jet-Hot claims a lifetime warranty then you would expected that the extra money you spend would keep them looking nice.

The same company (jethot) claims lower under hood temps due to higher thermal effiecency. How can you see then when the coating dissapears.

Originally Posted by ADM
Not all headers are just "Under" the car. this would look like crap if it was just a rusted mess.

Name:  IMG_2108.jpg
Views: 4078
Size:  98.5 KB

Some of use will spend a little extra to have stuff look nice, we just don't want a company like Jet-hot to lie about what they actually deliver.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by STOCKTA

Well the above pictures are "All mighty jet hot coating inside and out" but are off a drag only car that has never see rain or street use. I didn't call JET-HOT to "Bitch" but only to have them make good on a warranty that they don't seem to want to honor.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

I care what the underside of my car looks like too, I dont want my headers or exhaust looking like a mess after a few years. Thats why I got all my exhaust components in stainless, I knew I was going to keep the car a long time and I wanted it too always look nice. Went with SLP midlengths about 8yrs ago now, bought them uncoated to save money and they looked good for years, they did start darken and get very light surface rust that could be polished off. I got them jet hot coated 3 years ago and they look awesome still, no sign of any rust and I've never polished them since. Any manufacturers coated headers that aren't SS are going to rust through the coating eventually, I had heard too many stories and saw too many pics of it before I bought mine to consider them.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:36 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by HonkifPartsFallOff
Go with stainless, Please.

These were brand new mild steel headers. Sent to a "Leader in the industry" to be coated inside and out. These are on a drag only car that is either in an enclosed trailer, in a garage or at the drag strip. Even if your in Cali, rust is an issue.

Inside the tube where the coating failed after 3 years of use....

C'mon.... How are you going to polish the inside of the tubes? Part of your companies marketing is that you coat the inside of the headers. How am i going to get inside with polish?

Here is a pile of rust when you tap the header on the ground. at this rate they will rust away from the inside out.

You cant polish the inside of the tubes, nor did I say that you could. In your case things change very much so vs. what the other member and I were talking about. I am sorry that you are so unpleased and an offer that stands with our warranty and the ppw that you should have in hand from the day you recieved the parts back is still in standing on your issue. I am even happy to post the warranty ppw on this thread for you in the event that you do not have yours handy. I understand this is three years of racing or so you say and yet it is six years later you contact us on this issue, no once were you or will you be denied the rework of the parts. Warranty attached....
Attached Files
Old 05-06-2010, 05:38 PM
FormerVendor

Well the above pictures are "All mighty jet hot coating inside and out" but are off a drag only car that has never see rain or street use. I didn't call JET-HOT to "Bitch" but only to have them make good on a warranty that they don't seem to want to honor.
As per our warranty... ship those headers in. Coating takes 3-5 days through process at the moment and zip zoom back into your hands!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 05:41 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by GREGG 97Z
I care what the underside of my car looks like too, I dont want my headers or exhaust looking like a mess after a few years. Thats why I got all my exhaust components in stainless, I knew I was going to keep the car a long time and I wanted it too always look nice. Went with SLP midlengths about 8yrs ago now, bought them uncoated to save money and they looked good for years, they did start darken and get very light surface rust that could be polished off. I got them jet hot coated 3 years ago and they look awesome still, no sign of any rust and I've never polished them since. Any manufacturers coated headers that aren't SS are going to rust through the coating eventually, I had heard too many stories and saw too many pics of it before I bought mine to consider them.
Glad to hear they look great still... GET SOME POLISH ON THOSE HEADERS!!! I know you havent seen any issues as of yet but if you want 20 plus years out of them every so often hit em with a little polish...
Old 05-06-2010, 05:42 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
will ceramic coating stick to the stainless if you wanted to get them coated?
you could always wrap the stainless OP, it will look like **** but they'll knock down temps and last forever
Coated Stainless Is Your Best Couple For Heat Reduction And Rust "Proofing"!!!
Old 05-07-2010, 11:12 AM
Teching In

You cant polish the inside of the tubes, nor did I say that you could. In your case things change very much so vs. what the other member and I were talking about. I am sorry that you are so unpleased and an offer that stands with our warranty and the ppw that you should have in hand from the day you recieved the parts back is still in standing on your issue. I am even happy to post the warranty ppw on this thread for you in the event that you do not have yours handy. I understand this is three years of racing or so you say and yet it is six years later you contact us on this issue, no once were you or will you be denied the rework of the parts. Warranty attached....

Here is a picture a year later after being coated and they still are unused:

Name:  32.jpg
Views: 4059
Size:  62.4 KB

And then in March of 2008 there was an ontrack incident.

Name:  Dave3.jpg
Views: 3964
Size:  48.9 KB

Many other companies have stepped up and helped us two racers towards getting back to the track and racing, but Jet-Hot put their hand out and wants more money. The email from Dana was a nice touch asking for another 25 bucks to removed YOUR companies failed coating....

Name:  IMG_2232.jpg
Views: 3988
Size:  70.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2216.jpg
Views: 3978
Size:  84.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2316.jpg
Views: 3908
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2367_1.jpg
Views: 3830
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1792.jpg
Views: 3933
Size:  63.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1796.jpg
Views: 3960
Size:  62.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1869.jpg
Views: 3956
Size:  52.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3391.jpg
Views: 4050
Size:  109.8 KB

Name:  IMG_3387.jpg
Views: 4000
Size:  121.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2136.jpg
Views: 4006
Size:  105.1 KB

Name:  nova.jpg
Views: 3934
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2192.jpg
Views: 3991
Size:  107.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2212.jpg
Views: 4021
Size:  91.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2200.jpg
Views: 3971
Size:  89.8 KB

Name:  nova.jpg
Views: 3934
Size:  51.4 KB

You see Kevin, alot has gone into fixing my wifes car. You say 6 years, but I said it was 3 years of use, and as racers we reached out and said there was circumstances, and that fine if you don't want to help a few racers who had an on track incident and use your product. But maybe if your really not out to help the racers you should stop pushing your product at the race track.

And I'm not here to bash you. I'm here to answer the OP's question Coated Headers VS stainless. My pictures say that if you want something that will last, don't use coating, spend the money on stainless, because in the long run it will save you money.

Hopefully we can get back to better than it was before, but certainly not with a failed Jet-Hot coating....

Name:  Oldnovapic.jpg
Views: 3989
Size:  67.9 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
nova.jpg (51.4 KB, 146 views)
Old 05-07-2010, 11:47 AM
Teching In

I am sorry for the delay in response on this as I have been out of the office. This was brought to my attention today as your husband had called in. I have offered to rework the headers under our warranty at 50% of the cost. An email has been sent to him with those details as well I have responded to his “bashing” comments on the threads.

Please let me know if you would like to send them in as I am happy to get these reworked and out the door as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Kevin
I'm not bashing you Kevin. I'm only going to show what your coating looks like after 3 years of use. the pictures speak for themself.

Here is a link to where I show the pictures and I do not even comment on the company name. My goal is not to bash, but only to show truthfull pictures and let people know what to expexct. I guess they really have to read the " * " when it comes to your company...

http://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/t...12/m/622100463
Old 05-07-2010, 01:58 PM
FormerVendor

Here is a picture a year later after being coated and they still are unused:

Many other companies have stepped up and helped us two racers towards getting back to the track and racing, but Jet-Hot put their hand out and wants more money. The email from Dana was a nice touch asking for another 25 bucks to remove YOUR companies failed coating....

You see Kevin, a lot has gone into fixing my wifes car. You say 6 years, but I said it was 3 years of use, and as racers we reached out and said there was circumstances, and that fine if you don't want to help a few racers who had an on track incident and use your product. But maybe if your really not out to help the racers you should stop pushing your product at the race track.

And I'm not here to bash you. I'm here to answer the OP's question Coated Headers VS stainless. My pictures say that if you want something that will last, don't use coating, spend the money on stainless, because in the long run it will save you money.

Hopefully we can get back to better than it was before, but certainly not with a failed Jet-Hot coating....
2/27/2004 is the ppw that I have showing the headers being completed. Your picture above is dated 4/26/2004, I am a little confused on how that equals a year later.

"but Jet-Hot put their hand out and wants more money."

Under our warranty we offered you 50% off of retail you are correct. I understand and don’t doubt that some companies have assisted and/or offered free or discounted parts in your rebuild. I, like them, am sorry this wreck happened and wish it upon no one. Under our policy and warranty ppw that has both been supplied in this thread as well as sent to you with the parts after coating advises of how these issues are handled. I have been and will continue to work on helping further if even possible at this point. You say the coating failed and I understand that is how you feel although you fail to mention the details that we spoke about on the phone in the care of your coating. The race fuel that you use opens the door to moisture resting in the headers and even more so when the car is put away hot in an enclosed trailer or garage where the fresh air is limited. Doing this causes more condensation. This has nothing to do with just OUR coating this issue will happen with ANY coating if you do not take measures to reduce the water that rests in the exhaust after extreme use.

"You say 6 years, but I said it was 3 years of use"
I understand this is three years of racing and yet it is six years later you contact us on this issue Is what I said... BUT none the less I would have loved to speak with you 3 plus years ago when you found this issue. At this point we are beyond past the limits of the 100% warranty and you fall into the 50% off retail price. Look around and you will see that almost every coating company models there warranty from ours. I am still working to relieve more of the cost if possible as I stated before. The strip fee was MY oversight and I am sorry that I failed to bring that up. The normal fee on this is $50 although you were offered $25, although from the start I have been working to waive that seeing your case. You have my direct number and email information, I would recommend that for further contact on your rework status.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:15 PM
FormerVendor

I'm not bashing you Kevin. I'm only going to show what your coating looks like after 3 years of use. the pictures speak for themself.

Here is a link to where I show the pictures and I do not even comment on the company name. My goal is not to bash, but only to show truthfull pictures and let people know what to expexct. I guess they really have to read the " * " when it comes to your company...

http://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/t...12/m/622100463
No matter I am willing to work with you under the company warranty policy. There is no "*" in our warranty it is all printed large, clear and detailed. I will be standing by awaiting your word if you would like the reworked....
Old 05-10-2010, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have also had my headers on for ~3 years, and while I do not polish them, they do get cleaned along with the engine compartment as often as I wash the car, and still have surface rust buildup, and the underside look like mild steel headers. I live in a southern state, and the car rarely gets driven in the rain. Don't even get me started on the gaskets that were sent with them....
Old 05-10-2010, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jdiddyws6
I have also had my headers on for ~3 years, and while I do not polish them, they do get cleaned along with the engine compartment as often as I wash the car, and still have surface rust buildup, and the underside look like mild steel headers. I live in a southern state, and the car rarely gets driven in the rain. Don't even get me started on the gaskets that were sent with them....
Cleaning them is good although if you dont apply any polish you can see that break down sooner than normal. No matter whos coating, if it is just a surface rust you can use a Green Scotch Brite Pad and knock the rust off. Then clean the header with warm soap and water. Wipe it dry and add a little polish to that area. I would do this once a month or so and you should be back in business (at least for the top of the headers) The bottom sounds as if the coating is gone maybe???
Old 05-10-2010, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy SS and have them coated(which I wish I did). They wont rust and will stay shiny!
BTW I care what the underside of my car looks like also!

Quick Reply: Ceramic coated headers VS Stainless headers????