LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ceramic coated headers VS Stainless headers????

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ceramic coated headers VS Stainless headers????

Ok Im about to inverst in some Longtubes and was wondering what the advantages were if any in having ceramic coated headers. I love the look of stainless headers but and worried that the underhood temps would be too high? Does the ceramic coat aid that much im lowering temps? I live in California so rust is not an issue, please help me decide, also who makes stainless headers?
Old 03-14-2010, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

Stainless headers last forever but have higher under hood temps. The ceramic does help reduce heat. Sent you a PM about where to buy stainless.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

lpps are cheap stainless headers
Old 03-14-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

6litereater also makes stainless longtubes
Old 03-14-2010, 10:28 PM
TECH Addict

will ceramic coating stick to the stainless if you wanted to get them coated?
you could always wrap the stainless OP, it will look like **** but they'll knock down temps and last forever
Old 03-14-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah you can ceramic coat stainless my friend had his kooks coated for his gto
Old 03-15-2010, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both, nice decrease in engine bay temp
Old 03-15-2010, 05:29 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Get coated stainless
Old 03-15-2010, 08:03 AM

Will LT's cause problems in California with emissions or do you have a sneaky way around that?
Old 03-15-2010, 08:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the LPP stainless headers and I will ASSUME that they can cause slightly hotter under hood temps solely based on Jet Hot coating's marketing claims and nothing more. But can anyone really prove this and show temperature differences for both applications? Is it 20 degrees? Is it 50 degrees? Higher?

Even if my under hood temps are higher, I can not detect any negative impacts as a result of such. I have never melted plug wires, boots, air boxes or any other component due to higher header heat. I have a CAI so header heat is not going to negatively impact intake air temps either. When I raise the hood, I dont get knocked down down by what appears to be, hotter than normal temps

Considering that the stainless will last forever I don't see the point of having them coated other than to say they will maintain that consistent silver finish as opposed to the natural stainless finish that tends to range from blue to gold depending on what gets the most heat.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:53 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

The ceramic coating supposedly keeps the heat from exhaust gases isolated in the primary, which aids in scavenging. That's the primary benefit of ceramic coating as far as I understand. How much that might be worth from a performance standpoint, I really have no idea. I believe I could tell a difference in underhood temps in comparison to the cast iron manifolds.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I have the LPP stainless headers and I will ASSUME that they can cause slightly hotter under hood temps solely based on Jet Hot coating's marketing claims and nothing more. But can anyone really prove this and show temperature differences for both applications? Is it 20 degrees? Is it 50 degrees? Higher?

Even if my under hood temps are higher, I can not detect any negative impacts as a result of such. I have never melted plug wires, boots, air boxes or any other component due to higher header heat. I have a CAI so header heat is not going to negatively impact intake air temps either. When I raise the hood, I dont get knocked down down by what appears to be, hotter than normal temps

Considering that the stainless will last forever I don't see the point of having them coated other than to say they will maintain that consistent silver finish as opposed to the natural stainless finish that tends to range from blue to gold depending on what gets the most heat.

Coatings will tend to reduce surface temps up to 400°, although it all depends on your set up as everything comes into play when dealing with exhaust gas temps. On average we see around 300° to 350° reduction, although again sometimes more sometimes less. It’s not always about the heat reduction though! Everything that we do is coated inside and out 100%, this being done will almost eliminate the turbulence in the exhaust gas coupled with the thermal retention and even dissipation of heat will allow your exhaust to move out much quicker, allowing your engine to work less and produce more power. We are race proven and have been testing and creating for over 30years.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

Between what I've seen with my own ceramic coated headers and those of friends, I have come to have the opinion that ceramic is junk. If I am in the market for headers and can't afford stainless, I will get regular painted headers. Why? Because the ceramic doesn't last.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Teching In

I'll jump in here with a positive.
I've been running Jet-Hot coated Edelbrock mid-lengths on my '95 Sierra since '01. The first thing I noticed was a dramatic decrease in under hood temps from the stock manifolds. The second thing I have seen is they still look brand new! I can say that ceramic does last, no worries here.
Mark
Old 03-17-2010, 06:16 PM
12 Second Club

My ceramic coating lasted 2 years on my Jet Hot LT headers before the collectors were very rusty. I sent them in shortly before my warranty was up on the coating and when I got them back they looked great. Well then they only lasted about 3 months before looking like they did before. They were driven in rainy weather but never in snow or salt.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:40 PM
Rockstar

I have a solution for everyone, get stainless LTs, have them coated, and then wrap them. Problem solved? Probably not.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:25 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Anyone that is expecting ceramic coating to prevent rust on mild steel headers should not.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:16 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Johnny-LT1-runner
I have a solution for everyone, get stainless LTs, have them coated, and then wrap them. Problem solved? Probably not.
I know many that have done this and seen no issues and MANY more that have and had MAJOR issues. The wrap will cause the metal to fatigue MUCH MUCH faster and will open the door to cracks when dealing with stainless. IF you are dealing with cast iron, or mild steel the issues are far worse. I ALWAYS recommend one or the other but never both!
Old 03-19-2010, 02:16 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by BTC
Anyone that is expecting ceramic coating to prevent rust on mild steel headers should not.
Why????
Old 03-19-2010, 02:20 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JET-HOT
Why????
Because it won't???

Quick Reply: Ceramic coated headers VS Stainless headers????