LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Coolant crossover banjo bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
They are not typical bolts. They are hollowed out so coolant can flow in the end and out some holes on the side.
hi shbox
yes, a banjo bolt has a hole through the center and then one or 2 holes going through the shank of the bolt cross ways allowing fluid to pass through the bolt.
banjo bolts are commonly used in brake systems/hydraulic systems. i've mainly used them to connect brakelines to calipers in disc brake setups in old hotrods i have built for customers..

just wandering what size they were. i'm a machinist and if there was somewhat of a market in them, i might could produce a small batch of them if it would be worth it to me. i might also know of some tool suppliers that might have the size we would need.

Carr-Lane and McMaster Carr are a couple tool supply places i would start looking.
i've ordered 3/8 and 7/16 banjo bolts from speedway motors, ive seen metric banjo bolts listed before somewhere also, seems like a stock car/oval track car outfit maybe.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shbox
Not many people can do that and it looks like there are some replacements now available as posted above.
yah buying the replacements would be much easier lol. yah i could understand for a lot of people it might be overly complicated. most of the tools needed could be purchased right through eastwood all you really need is a drill press plus a few other inexpensive tools.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sell fasteners / industrial supplies. I dont have a set of heads laying around off the car, but if someone can get the me the specs on an existing bolt I should be able to find a replacement.

Just diameter length and thread pitch should work.

Anyone?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:42 PM
sbs
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gregrob
I sell fasteners / industrial supplies. I dont have a set of heads laying around off the car, but if someone can get the me the specs on an existing bolt I should be able to find a replacement.

Just diameter length and thread pitch should work.

Anyone?
According to past posts the thread is 1/4-18 NSPT

Measuring mine (used, haven't cleaned crud off it yet, so maybe some error):

OD=13.0 mm
ID = 5.1 mm

length (from underside of head) = 31.0 mm

distance from head to center of first coolant passage = 7.5 mm
to center of second = 13.5 mm

Quick Reply: Coolant crossover banjo bolts?