LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My 570zx build

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 06:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
at that weight, with a 100 shot, that'd be cookin man...cant wait to see it run either way

Yea, I'm hoping that with the bolt ons listed, 100-125shot of nitrous, my car weighing 2650 (2800-2850 with me in the car), my 3.90's, and a Drag radial, to hit a low low 7 MAYBE *fingers crossed* even a 6.9 in the 1/8.

Guess we'll see. I really only have the wiring left to do then put some **** back together.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:56 PM
On The Tree

Started on the wiring...GOD...i forgot how much i despise wiring. Ran the front half of the car through the firewall, and the fenders and got it all loomed together. Also, finished the bottom half of the radiator mount.

Quick question, what are you guys using as a coupler for the LS1 intake conversion. The LT1 throttle body is oval... just curious.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

nice build man, looking good so far.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

awesome build man, i love seeing something interesting like this, and very interested to see the outcome

Originally Posted by bleakdragonmage
No... The car will be fine just the way it is. There are Z31 owners with 700whp without major chassis stiffening that are doing fine. A relatively stock LT1 isn't going to do anything to my chassis.
the difference is near instant gobs of torque, and lots of it. i highly recommend you look into some sort of stiffening, or you will twist your chassis. i dont mean like cartoon twisting in half, but it will do damage
and it will make the car handle and react better, so why not?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dangalla
awesome build man, i love seeing something interesting like this, and very interested to see the outcome

the difference is near instant gobs of torque, and lots of it. i highly recommend you look into some sort of stiffening, or you will twist your chassis. i dont mean like cartoon twisting in half, but it will do damage
and it will make the car handle and react better, so why not?
It will eventually have a roll cage, but as for support, i will be adding some structural things to the front that will double as my radiator/intake supports. I might also add some frame rail sleeves...similar to what they do to miata's.

As to "why not"... plain and simply, im trying to get the car into the 2600 lbs range...thats not an easy task lol.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

need more pics.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:25 AM
On The Tree

I understand the urge to save weight, but lt1's are torque monsters, torque bends chassis not hp. Is saving weight worth ruining the car????

as for what to use for the lid, get a ss (lt1) camaro or ram air (lt1) bellow, goes from oval to round.

Cool project, cant wait to see what it runs.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blkm6formula
I understand the urge to save weight, but lt1's are torque monsters, torque bends chassis not hp. Is saving weight worth ruining the car????

as for what to use for the lid, get a ss (lt1) camaro or ram air (lt1) bellow, goes from oval to round.

Cool project, cant wait to see what it runs.
Like i said, i highly doubt the torque of the LT1 is going to mess with my chassis. In fact, i can pretty much guarantee it won't. Now, with all the **** im removing, yes, i will be adding some structural support into the car until the rollcage is ready to be built.

Radiator is going to be finished tomorrow with pics, along with the airbox routing *fingers crossed*. A member here said i can use a 3" fernco coupler as the coupler from the TB to maf, so ill give it a try.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

how the hell did I miss this thread? lovin the build man! that engine bay looks PERFECT to be swapping a sbc into!! can't wait for some vids of your 570zx ripping up the asphalt!!
and yes the 3" fernco is what most people use altho a C4 vette coupler works as well

Originally Posted by Torque Fiend
pretty sweet build.

I would like a Chrysler Conquest/Mitsubishi Starion with an LS1 in it.
theres a guy in the eastern section with a starion who's actually really close to me, but I have yet to see his ride in person
edit: found his info -BoostnTBSS
87 StarQuest - forged 348,LS1X Heads,S88 turbo,TH400,8.8 Rear,2500LBS Should be a fun street Car with 800ftlbs @3300 @10.5 PSI

Last edited by z_speedfreak; 05-04-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the project is really progressing quickly. I think it will run really well once it is all tuned up.

Don't forget to throw some pushrod guide plates on like I mentioned.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:47 AM
On The Tree

Intake/ radiator support is nearly done. All i need to do is make the upper radiator bracket. Intake holder is done, although the angle is slightly too far down, but its the best i could do with the clearance of my hood.

Now comes the real monster... Wiring...

God damnit.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Wiring is coming along nicely. Engine harness hooked up, rear of the car is done minus the fuel pump.

I noticed the intake is a tiny bit crooked...i cant tell if its because of the mounts or the angle. Doesn't really matter either way because it will all be shrouded anyways and i can always level that with a washer or something.

In anycase, this is the cross brace and upper radiator support. I'll get pics of the intake setup tomorrow.

Anyone know where i can get the clips to hold the lid onto the filter???

Just need to wire the guages, some other misc things and do the fuel system. Sooooo close....

Last edited by bleakdragonmage; 05-30-2010 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

what happened to your pic?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Sorry, no pics yet.

Got my "engine not turning" all figured out, bolted the engine/trans back together and im going to toss it back in today. My friend is coming over saturday to help me finish the wiring.

I still need to finish my fuel setup, but that should be easy...

Also, i will be getting some turbo headers friday... I figure ill low boost (4-6 lbs) it while i build a forged engine. My dad has a spare LT1 at his wrecking yard. Plus, the single exhaust will make routing it much easier than it is now, and help quiet the car down a little. As of right now with the glasspacks/turndowns (which is all i can fit on the car with duals) you can hear my car idling a block away, and could here it moving 4 blocks away... WAY too loud in california with the smog ****'s. For some reason, i think the "we're in a recession, i wanted to buy American" response will only work once, maybe twice.

in anycase,

God has decreed... "THERE WILL BE BOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 06-17-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bleakdragonmage
God has decreed... "THERE WILL BE BOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!"
thats f#cking AWESOME! what size turbo are you going to be running ? and what made you go boost ?
Old 06-18-2010, 01:22 AM
On The Tree

i need to run a single exhaust to make ground clearance a little more DD friendly...
Old 06-18-2010, 03:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

couldnt you just use a Y pipe?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Yes, but the problem is the driver side exhaust. With the position of the manifold and the angle around the steering column. When it drops, it drops a little too low. The passenger side has much more room. Plus, this will help quiet it down (engine wise) and make my car exponentially more badass, which we all know leads to exponentially more handjobs.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

you do speak of truth, but instead of saying you need to add a turbo to make exhaust routing easier and make it quieter, just say you want more handjobs.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wysemunky
you do speak of truth, but instead of saying you need to add a turbo to make exhaust routing easier and make it quieter, just say you want more handjobs.
Well, that is part of the reason. Plus, i will miss the sound of turbo spool.

Quick Reply: My 570zx build