LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How important it the air dam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gunter96ws6
i drove it 10 miles or so 1 way to a friends house earlier this evening and the temp gauge wouldnt drop below 210. that in itself is reason enough to put it back on. and btw..........whats an op? original poster?
Original post or original poster, yes.

Glad to see NOT having it made a difference for proof of concept.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gunter96ws6
whats an op? original poster?
. . yes
Old 04-02-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Sure there is - never said otherwise. That low pressure created on the underside of the vehicle is designed for that purpose. By limiting the amount of airflow under the chassis of the vehicle, less drag is produced.

Imagine all of the surface area of parts under the vehicle. Engine, transmission, suspension components, floorpan, axle fuel tank, exhaust, etc. etc., all of these parts (without the air dam in place) will provide some kind of wind resistance depending on their location and orientation. The air dam reduces the amount of flow under the car and redirects it towards a more useful area - into the radiator.

Less airflow under the vehicle = less drag.
Originally Posted by thehammer69
I'd like some body to explain with actual science how the car can lift UP due to a low pressure zone UNDER it. Seriously, that would be one hell of an aerodynamic phenomenon that GM created. last time I checked, planes LIFTED because of the low pressure zone created ABOVE the wings.

Just goes to show, the interwebz is full of stupidity and people will believe it.
+1...we should start a stat around here to see who has actual schooling on this stuff....being an engineering major and taking classes like fluids and dynamics, etc its pretty much embarrassing some of the junk that gets posted on here
Old 04-03-2010, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About the post you referenced from "chevynation"

F-bodies have terrific drag coefficients of .34 for both the Pontiac AND Chevrolet (same as a Porsche 911, Ferrari 360 Modena, Aston Martin DB9, etc.) The "not-so-great aeros" comment is opinion.

He says you "should see improvements." Once again, opinion, not based on fact or scientific evidence.

He also says "I actually think it helps." Once again, opinion, not based on fact or scientific evidence.

Then, "It doesn't seem like its in the right location to help aero; it just forces air up to the radiator and creates high pressure under the hood which creates lift and hurts handling. My logic might be off, but my car is rock solid at speed (and doesn't overheat either)."

OPINION. "Doesn't seem like its in the right location to help aero" isn't too much of a convincing argument. Not to mention, he isn't even confident of his own conclusions! "My logic might be off" - that's real convincing.

It's also ironic that on that webpage you referenced...every 4th gen vehicle has an air dam. If that doesn't say it, I don't know what else could...

Bye bye!
so far you have only provided opinion as well. and btw mitch's post was a response to chevynations post. all of the cars on mitch's site have air dams cause their set up for ROAD RACING where you need all the cooling capacity you can get and not set up for top speed runs. provide some facts and I'll buy it but as of now I buy what mitch said as fact. so find some facts and don't blame me for not taking your opinions as facts.

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
lol not having it up there aint going to make your front lift or cause more drag..

if it makes your front end lift at 70mph why are there so many stock bodied drag cars running 150-210mph and not taking off like planes..lol

leaving it in there scoops the air up at speeds and drives it into the engine bay..so now your craming air into a engine bay where there is no where near cubic feet in exit holes for the air to escape out of..

will that cause your front end to have a tad more down force yes...will it be enough to really matter and delete the turbulance going on inside the engine bay from you ramming air into it no..
front end lift at 70?? I never noticed any til 140. and a car needs to be super aerodynamic to take off like a plane like the clk-gtr race cars when they 1st came out.
also the air entering the engine bay does not cause downforce, nor does turbulence inside the engine bay matter, the turbulence under your car matters.

now I'd like to see what trans am thinks about all this seeing as how he's studying this sort of stuff.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't claim to be an engineer by any means, but I've been around these cars long enough to know something about it (confirmed by the other posters of this thread other than yourself that happen to be engineers).

There really is no debate anymore. I've provided factual information, far more than you have. Here's a recap in case you don't feel like looking:

From post #24 - That low pressure created on the underside of the vehicle is designed for that purpose. By limiting the amount of airflow under the chassis of the vehicle, less drag is produced. This is FACT, backed by GM research and development, countless studies, and the laws of physics.

From post #36 - F-bodies have terrific drag coefficients of .34 for both the Pontiac AND Chevrolet (same as a Porsche 911, Ferrari 360 Modena, Aston Martin DB9, etc.). Once again, fact.

And from gunter96ws6's post #40 - i drove it 10 miles or so 1 way to a friends house earlier this evening and the temp gauge wouldnt drop below 210. that in itself is reason enough to put it back on. Although perhaps crude, his results are pretty convincing of the cooling aspect.

I don't have any more to add to this thread as the data has been presented. Deleting your air dam is an overall bad idea and has negative repercussions to the vehicles handling and cooling capabilities. Good day.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

I don't claim to be an engineer by any means, but I've been around these cars long enough to know something about it (confirmed by the other posters of this thread other than yourself that happen to be engineers).

There really is no debate anymore. I've provided factual information, far more than you have. Here's a recap in case you don't feel like looking:

From post #24 - That low pressure created on the underside of the vehicle is designed for that purpose. By limiting the amount of airflow under the chassis of the vehicle, less drag is produced. This is FACT, backed by GM research and development, countless studies, and the laws of physics.

From post #36 - F-bodies have terrific drag coefficients of .34 for both the Pontiac AND Chevrolet (same as a Porsche 911, Ferrari 360 Modena, Aston Martin DB9, etc.). Once again, fact.

And from gunter96ws6's post #40 - i drove it 10 miles or so 1 way to a friends house earlier this evening and the temp gauge wouldnt drop below 210. that in itself is reason enough to put it back on. Although perhaps crude, his results are pretty convincing of the cooling aspect.

I don't have any more to add to this thread as the data has been presented. Deleting your air dam is an overall bad idea and has negative repercussions to the vehicles handling and cooling capabilities. Good day.
post #24- the air that hits the air damn IS ALREADY UNDER THE VEHICLE! splitters, ground effects & lowering your vehicle actually reduce the amount of air that goes under the vehicle, the air damn is ~2feet behind the nose thus the air is already under the car.
post #36- yes we have good drag coefficients but what proof do you have its from the air dam? how do you know if we put a camaro in a wind tunnel and took of the air dam that the drag coefficients would increase, not decrease?
and yes gunter said his temp was sitting at 210 but he most likely has a stock cooling system. my car never goes above 170, tell you what I 'll take mine off this summer and see where my engine temp sits just for you, I'm not saying its not going to climb but I'm betting it sits at a safe temp.
arguing w/ you is kind of getting pointless at this point cause your just claiming you've won the argument when you have yet to produce any facts. I'm going to believe what mitch said until you can prove otherwise, can you blame me if you were in my shoes? no need to start getting cunty over it.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Launching!

i guess the real test will be driving it once i get the airdam put back on. its having longtubes installed at the moment so i wont have a report until monday. thanks again for all the info guys.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

Theres a thread in the Drag section sayin youll gain like .2 and 2MPH in the 1/4th by removing the air dam with track tests. I call bs and say there was other factors involved becides the air dam
Old 04-04-2010, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

I guess you missed the part about air needing to flow across the radiator for proper cooling, daily driver or not.
I guess you missed where I agreed with everyone and said it needs to stay on for a daily driver car. I'm saying taking it off for aero is ridiculous in 99.9% of the cases on this forum...
Old 04-04-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by creepingdeath94
I guess you missed where I agreed with everyone and said it needs to stay on for a daily driver car. I'm saying taking it off for aero is ridiculous in 99.9% of the cases on this forum...
Word...I gotcha.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Fact, an open wheel racer like an F1, Indy, or Cart has the worst drag coefficient of nearly all vehicles. Simply for the fact that all of the spoilers and surfaces designed to provide insane downforce also create insane drag. A Typical F1 car will have a CoD of around 1.x. the 1982 TransAm has a CoD of .299 to .32 depending on options. http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/br...4transamcd.jpg

Fact #2, the 3rd generation Pontiac Firebird was the FIRST production stock bodied car to exceed 300mph at the salt flats. http://www.kugelkomponents.com/bonne...onneville.html

Fact #3, driving any bottom breathing car like a 3rd or 4th generation F-body without the air dam is stupid as the twin fans can't provide nearly the air flow over the radiator to cool the car under performance conditions. At speeds of 30mph or greater the air-dam produces more airflow than the fans will.

Now for opinions. Lets think about the design of a car as an airfoil.

A car's shape is pretty much like an airplane wing. Relatively flat bottoms with curved tops. This basically means you get a low pressure area in the back of the car. Notchbacks, pickup trucks, and other similar shaped cars have HUGE airflow drag issues because of the abrupt change. Fast back designed cars similar to our F-bodies smooth the airflow out and reduce turbulence in the wake of a car.

So the basic premise of a an airplane wing is that air moving over the top of the wing is slowed down because it has to travel a greater distance than airflow over the bottom of the wing. The low pressure area "sucks" the wings upward providing what we call "lift". Since a car is also shaped mostly the same the same principle applies.

But here's where cars differ. Because the underbody of a car is close to the ground it creates a vacuum under the car which is usually greater than the low pressure air on top of the car. Chin spoilers serve to cut wind from underneath the car which creates an even stronger low pressure area under the car. Modern cars have Venturi tunnels which cause what little air passes under the car to expand in volume slow down and creates additional vacuum at the rear of the car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrr-j-c1mXM

Why do flat bottom race cars like this 911 GT1 to take off for no reason like in the clip below? Simple. They rely so much on limiting airflow under the car that when the least little bit gets under the car it flips over like a sheet of paper. So limiting airflow under the car is important in ANY car design.

There are some mid and rear engine designs that actually take advantage of low pressure area behind the car to pull heat from the engine bay. Cars like the Ferrari F40, Zonda C12 and others are examples of this.

The Chaparral 2J is an example of early underbody airflow designs in that it used a set of fans at the rear of the car to pull air from under the car and exhaust it into the low pressure wake behind the car. Literally sucking the car to the road like a vacuum cleaner. http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/9...Chevrolet.html

basic word, low pressure area UNDER the car is a good thing no matter how you slice it.

Last edited by thirdgen89gta; 04-04-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cha-ching.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by thirdgen89gta
Fact, an open wheel racer like an F1, Indy, or Cart has the worst drag coefficient of nearly all vehicles. Simply for the fact that all of the spoilers and surfaces designed to provide insane downforce also create insane drag. A Typical F1 car will have a CoD of around 1.x. the 1982 TransAm has a CoD of .299 to .32 depending on options. http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/br...4transamcd.jpg

Fact #2, the 3rd generation Pontiac Firebird was the FIRST production stock bodied car to exceed 300mph at the salt flats. http://www.kugelkomponents.com/bonne...onneville.html

Fact #3, driving any bottom breathing car like a 3rd or 4th generation F-body without the air dam is stupid as the twin fans can't provide nearly the air flow over the radiator to cool the car under performance conditions. At speeds of 30mph or greater the air-dam produces more airflow than the fans will.

Now for opinions. Lets think about the design of a car as an airfoil.

A car's shape is pretty much like an airplane wing. Relatively flat bottoms with curved tops. This basically means you get a low pressure area in the back of the car. Notchbacks, pickup trucks, and other similar shaped cars have HUGE airflow drag issues because of the abrupt change. Fast back designed cars similar to our F-bodies smooth the airflow out and reduce turbulence in the wake of a car.

So the basic premise of a an airplane wing is that air moving over the top of the wing is slowed down because it has to travel a greater distance than airflow over the bottom of the wing. The low pressure area "sucks" the wings upward providing what we call "lift". Since a car is also shaped mostly the same the same principle applies.

But here's where cars differ. Because the underbody of a car is close to the ground it creates a vacuum under the car which is usually greater than the low pressure air on top of the car. Chin spoilers serve to cut wind from underneath the car which creates an even stronger low pressure area under the car. Modern cars have Venturi tunnels which cause what little air passes under the car to expand in volume slow down and creates additional vacuum at the rear of the car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrr-j-c1mXM

Why do flat bottom race cars like this 911 GT1 to take off for no reason like in the clip below? Simple. They rely so much on limiting airflow under the car that when the least little bit gets under the car it flips over like a sheet of paper. So limiting airflow under the car is important in ANY car design.

There are some mid and rear engine designs that actually take advantage of low pressure area behind the car to pull heat from the engine bay. Cars like the Ferrari F40, Zonda C12 and others are examples of this.

The Chaparral 2J is an example of early underbody airflow designs in that it used a set of fans at the rear of the car to pull air from under the car and exhaust it into the low pressure wake behind the car. Literally sucking the car to the road like a vacuum cleaner. http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/car/9...Chevrolet.html

basic word, low pressure area UNDER the car is a good thing no matter how you slice it.
finally some one providing some facts and not opinions! a few things I wonder about tho..
1)very true, now could you relate this fact to air dams please
2)also true, but look how low that bird is and the gfx's on it. I don't see how the air dam(if thers even room for one under ther) could of played a key role in that record considering the ride height and gfx are the main limiting factors of how much air travels under the vehicle.
3)not gonna argue on this one, but I will take my air dam off this summer to see what happens out of curiosity. I'm willing to bet my temps won't go over 190 but we'll have to wait and see

"Now for opinions. Lets think about the design of a car as an airfoil.
"
thats fine except it needs to be reversed with the air direction flowing from thin side to thick side, like a backwards wing, am I right? know of any animations like that?
"Because the underbody of a car is close to the ground it creates a vacuum under the car which is usually greater than the low pressure air on top of the car."
-now I could be wrong about this, but I don't see how a 4th gen @ stock ride height w/ no gfx could be close enough to the ground to create a vacuum, other than the vacuum that occurs behind the air dam which draws the air that the air dam is stuffing into the engine bay out. also theres high pressure on top of the car at the cowl, the low pressure on top is over the hatch & trunk lid.
thers allot of good general info you provided on aerodynamics but you fail to relate them to air dams

Cha-ching.
all I'm doing is playing the devils advocate arguing what I've learned off here, tho I don't know why I give a ****. it was a good debate tho until you started taking things personally and turned into a little ****. and its funny how you shut right up when I asked you to provide some facts. just for future reference opinions don't win an argument bud

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Theres a thread in the Drag section sayin youll gain like .2 and 2MPH in the 1/4th by removing the air dam with track tests. I call bs and say there was other factors involved becides the air dam
interesting, you could settle this next time at the track. same day.. same weather... as long as you launch the same it should shed some light on the subject.

Last edited by z_speedfreak; 04-05-2010 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good lord you guys are hard at it trying to boil the ocean here.

It is important for particular reasons that the GM engineers determined through lots R&D and extensive testing. If it were not needed, they could have deleted it and saved several dollars times the amount of f-bodys produced. This would add up to potentially millions of bucks in manufacturing cost savings.

Bottom line. If any particular part aint really needed. It never would have been put on the car.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Good lord you guys are hard at it trying to boil the ocean here.

It is important for particular reasons that the GM engineers determined through lots R&D and extensive testing. If it were not needed, they could have deleted it and saved several dollars times the amount of f-bodys produced. This would add up to potentially millions of bucks in manufacturing cost savings.

Bottom line. If any particular part aint really needed. It never would have been put on the car.
lol yeah well the hell not, how often does a good debate come along in the LT1 section anymore.
and I agree the air dam is needed.. on stock f-bodies
a cheap piece of plastic w/e is allot cheaper than a big ol honking aluminum radiator like I have, its gonna be a couple months til I find out if its needed on my car or not. course aerodynamically speaking it hasn't been proved one way or the other that its important or not either..
Old 06-20-2023, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Default I vote air dam on. Ever since mine came off, due to front end accident, it has ran ho

Originally Posted by creepingdeath94
Who's even bringing their cars up to a speed high enough for this argument to be relevant for any length of time anyway? The poor OP just wanted to make sure if it was ok to leave the air dam off and has been pretty much majority told to put it back on. If it is not a road racing/track only car, none of this is really important. At speed...over 100 mph for more than a second...stuff like aero from air dams/splitters/wings/etc. matters. For most of us driving to work and around town and occasionally romping on the throttle, not so much...
I really want mine back on. Everytime it is running hot, and I pull over the first thing everybody says, is get the air dam back on.Mime has a couple screw/pin holes torn loose from front end crash. The plastic front end actually bent a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica wheel under, and put it out of commission, while my trans am still drove off on its own power. Luckily the puppy in her view/lap wasn't hurt, but my air dam was. Taking any donations from anyone who doesn't want theirs on a 97 trans am. I will gladly use it.
Old 06-21-2023, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

You can just buy a new one with money ya know. I doubt anyone from this thread is still around 13 years later.

Quick Reply: How important it the air dam?