LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

installed ud pulley. Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive called alot of shops in my area and everyone of them are telling me that i need to replace the crank. that its the only way to fix it. Im not gonna try to helicoil it bc i dont wanna **** things up any worse than they are. wtf do i do now. Lol
Old 04-05-2010, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

How far did you get the hub back on did you use an install tool to seat it all the way on? If it's not all the way in you might have only messed up the first couple of threads
Old 04-05-2010, 11:09 AM
Launching!

well right now i just wanna get the bolt out by myself. How can i get pressure behind the hub to help the bolt turn out? ive tried vice grip needle nose while pulling out and turning and nothing happened.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Shops everywhere are going to tell you to pull the crank - they want your money. I would try helicoiling or use a Timesert - either one will work fine for that application.

As far as getting the bolt out is concerned, I'd try this. Take off the pulley (the 3 bolts) so all you have left is the crank hub and the stubborn bolt. Using a hub puller, pull the hub off of the crank snout (as far as it will go). Since the bolt is still in the way, you might need to stack some washers and get creative to give the puller something to push against. Once you have the hub out as far as it can go, you can use the crank hub as leverage to wiggle the bolt back and forth and, depending on how far you get it out, pry against the back of the hub to remove the bolt or, even better, use the puller to pull the hub AND the bolt out.

Once it's out, just helicoil or Timesert. Done.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

With the bolt being loose and just snugging up the get loose again even on the removal, I hate to say it but you would be better off just giving it to a shop to have them remove the bolt for you. there is a strong chance YOU will further damage the threads and/or crank.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Will I have to remove the hub to install the Helicoils or Timesert?

-Edit- Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 04-05-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by silverM6TA
Will I have to remove the hub to install the Helicoils or Timesert?

-Edit- Thanks for all the help guys!
Yes indeed.

Think about this: you could spend a couple bucks doing the helicoil/timesert deal and if it works (which it will), it will have only cost you vehicle down-time and the cost for a drill bit and the helicoil/timesert kit. If you take anyone's advice about replacing the crankshaft, you're looking at a rebuild which will run you in excess of $1500+.

Which makes the most sense?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

take two flathead screwdrivers. and wedge the bolt out.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Yes indeed.

Think about this: you could spend a couple bucks doing the helicoil/timesert deal and if it works (which it will), it will have only cost you vehicle down-time and the cost for a drill bit and the helicoil/timesert kit. If you take anyone's advice about replacing the crankshaft, you're looking at a rebuild which will run you in excess of $1500+.

Which makes the most sense?
And your assuming he has the skills and tools to perform this task. if he isn't comfortable to drill his crank then see if there is someone who has the experience, tools and skills to perform the task at hand. I would never tell someone to perform this task not knowing the skill level of the person I'm talking to. take into consideration the original task that lead to this and how it got screwed up to begin with.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by illusions
And your assuming he has the skills and tools to perform this task. if he isn't comfortable to drill his crank then see if there is someone who has the experience, tools and skills to perform the task at hand. I would never tell someone to perform this task not knowing the skill level of the person I'm talking to. take into consideration the original task that lead to this and how it got screwed up to begin with.
I didn't think cleaning up a hole with the proper sized drill bit takes an immense amount of mechanical ability.

I guess it's up to him if he wants to spend the money on a tow truck and a shop to do it. I'm suggesting the cheapest alternative - that's all.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

ok whatever but I'll just wait around for the "I screwed up my crank good this time, how do I fix it" thread.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:10 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

It never hurts to know all of your options.

Quick Reply: installed ud pulley. Problem!