LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

words of advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i will post up what she puts down when i get back tom... its at 12 in Cincinnati.. i should be back up here around 3-4 ish.. i hope i wasnt too far off my estimate... the car has been running badly lately and im hoping that the tune really wakes her up..
Old 04-08-2010, 02:54 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

So, you're going ahead with the dyno tune?
Old 04-08-2010, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

i think i will just go with the street tune... i may or may not get the dyno tune after... i have till tom to decide...unless somebody says right now... DONT GET A DYNO TUNE.. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 03:18 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not really the person to be asking, but with your mods I would probably just go with a mail order tune.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a PCM4less tune by mail order. It was spot on and I couldn't be happier.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

any pro's want to chime in?.. its killing me on if i should spend the big bucks and squeeze just a lil more power.. or will i be good with a street tune?.. and i know mail order tunes are good... but what would that yield roughly to a street tune power wise?..
Old 04-08-2010, 03:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

I wouldn't waste the time or money on a dyno tune right now. Especially considering you will probaly mod the car further in the future you would be throwing money away. I would go ahead and get a mailorder tune from say Pcmforless or MadTuner which will be alot cheaper and should be pretty damn close to being as good as a dyno tune will be with a bolt-on car. They have both probaly dyno tuned hundreds upon hundreds of bolt-on LT1's so them being able to perform a mailorder tune that is precise for your mods is extremely likely. Even cam-only you can get away with a mailoder tune being virtually spot on assuming you go with a common cam.

BTW ~300rwhp is about average for a full bolt-on M6 LT1. I have had my car on different dynojets that have been up to 10rwhp off from one another without making any changes to the car. I have also made pulls that have thrown some radical numbers, dynos are simply a tuning tool nothing but. Tuners have the ability to calibrate dynos so they throw generous numbers, some dynos are simply not calibrated correctly, etc. etc. I would expect you to realistically have between 295-305rwhp with your current mods on a dynojet.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

... stealth.. your a heart breaker lol... but im the rookie here so nearly everybodys advice is golden...
Old 04-08-2010, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Z28'MachThis'
... stealth.. your a heart breaker lol... but im the rookie here so nearly everybodys advice is golden...
It's just in my opinion of course. I just personally feel that a 6 hour round trip and all that money for a dyno tune just isn't needed at your point. After you figure the cost for gas, food, etc. it's kinda steep for just a bolt-on tune. I just hate to see people spend more money than they really need to or else not be able to get themselves the best bang for the buck. Competent tuners can set you up with a mailorder that will be spot on since they have so many files laying around from other bolt-on LT1's.

For example...A buddy of mine has a full bolt-on LS1 that got dyno tuned by a popular LS shop on this board. My other buddy with HPTuners (LS1 tuning software) uploaded the tune from our other friends car and runs that on his full bolt-on LS1. Car runs mint, we have datalogged it, raced it, you name it and the tune is really spot on. That is exactly what the tuners do with a mailorder tune so with such a popular setup you can be sure to have a mailorder that should work really well for you all while saving you some dough over that $400 dyno tune.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:21 PM
On The Tree

how soon can i get a mailorder?.. can the car be ready for the track this sunday?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

how soon can i get a mailorder?.. can the car be ready for the track this sunday?
As long as you have the equipment to load it onto your PCM (AKM cable/laptop/software), you could have it loaded in the time it takes to order the tune (and depending on who you choose to do the programming).

But if you don't have the hardware, it will take a week or so to get a PCM from the tuner, depending on who you use.

I will agree with StealthFormula - it's not worth it at this stage of your game.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

i think you all have sold me...only bad thing is that i dont want to run sunday at the stip.. or should i just to get a before and after?..
Old 04-08-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's up to you. It's not going to hurt either way.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

thanks guys.. and thanks for saving me a bunch of money by switching to geico... lol
Old 04-08-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

It has been said but I have to agree on just getting a mail tune for now. Unless you have big heads and cam setup at least I wouldn't do a dyno.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ditto on the mail order...

Did you ever ask the previous owners about mods?

Maybe your car has a baby cam or something.

I would suspect ~300rwhp with your mods as well...
Old 04-08-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

i think i will just go with the street tune... i may or may not get the dyno tune after... i have till tom to decide...unless somebody says right now... DONT GET A DYNO TUNE.. SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!
DON"T GET A DYNO TUNE! you said your car has been running bad lately, do you really want to base a tune off that? get to the bottom of why its running badly first. you could have a burnt plug wire or something! a mail order would be fine to get now b/c its based off what you have done to your engine and not based off HOW your engine is running like on the dyno.
even with the engine running good I would still opt for a mail order personally just because you don't have a whole lot done. yeah a dyno tune would be more accurate but what happens when you get a few more mods and need a re-tune? another $400? a mail order re-tune is only $50-75 I forget which. so I'd send it to Ion(madtuner) personally.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

hey thanks guys... the car was bone stock down to the original tires that came with the car...my neighbor had the car before me.. i never saw the car out really.. i picked it up with around 50k on the clock in 2005... I was the first to mod anything.. and i wouldnt say the car is running like crap.. but does have some kind of problem with throwing codes...turning both fans on high and my ses light coming on within 5min of running all at the same time.. ive tryed to figure out what it was but i still have not found an exact problem... any clues without the codes that would cause that?... the car used to chirp 4th when i grabbed it.. now it cant.. i was hoping while i was getting the dyno tune it would be able to pull the codes.. im assuming im wrong? lol
Old 04-08-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Addict

hey thanks guys... the car was bone stock down to the original tires that came with the car...my neighbor had the car before me.. i never saw the car out really.. i picked it up with around 50k on the clock in 2005... I was the first to mod anything.. and i wouldnt say the car is running like crap.. but does have some kind of problem with throwing codes...turning both fans on high and my ses light coming on within 5min of running all at the same time.. ive tryed to figure out what it was but i still have not found an exact problem... any clues without the codes that would cause that?... the car used to chirp 4th when i grabbed it.. now it cant.. i was hoping while i was getting the dyno tune it would be able to pull the codes.. im assuming im wrong? lol
take it to autozone they'll scan your codes for free. turning both fans on high like that right off the bat is a fail safe, could be a number of things. let us know what codes are being thrown
Old 04-08-2010, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Auto zone can't check the obd1 and the paperclip method doesn't work.. I've got the hook up and some software that I can hook up to the lap top.. I just don't know how to use it.. This summer I will sit down and work on it..

Quick Reply: words of advice!!!