LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

trouble starting warm

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble starting warm

When i start my z after its been sitting for a while (overnight) it starts up goood sounds like its ready to GO, turn the key (vrOOOOOMmmmmm rum rum rum rum)... but then when i start it while its still semi warm, even less then 160*...i starts like ****, (put put vroooo knock oommmmm) sounds like it dont want to start at all, it starts....but it runs like crap while im driving i can feel that the car is not as fast as before. and also just recently i started hearing this ticking sound like metal on metal when i first start the car while its warming up, once the idle settles down the ticking stops, and its only on the driver side of the motor that i hear it. kinda paranoid to drive it now...anyone have any thoughts id love to hear it.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:20 PM
12 Second Club

i love the sound effects!! lol.

Is the sound coming from the top of the motor or bottom? Also it is a tick, like tapping on an empty coke can, or is it a thump with density like knocking on a door?? Got any videos or sound??? those would help alot!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:21 PM
12 Second Club

either way, if it stops, the ticking sounds like a bad lifter. If it stops after a sec thats because it gets pressue back but the pressure is bleeding off when it sits. I dont think that would cause your engine to do that though....
Old 04-21-2010, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

haha ya i kinda laughed at the sound effects too...the ticking is coming from the top, when it first started i thought it was just somthin loose im my dash or somethin, but today i started it and rolled down the window and realized it was comin from the motor, and ya its not a deep sound...but the ticking just recently started and does it when its cold and hot, but its almost always started like crap warm.

Last edited by Chrismikeb; 04-22-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

i could try to get video tomorrow but i dunno how good quality my phone would be (probaly crap) and i have no idea how to load a video ...also how hard a job would it be to replace this lifter, and i shouldnt be driving with this right?
Old 04-22-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

pull the covers on an check the lifters,rockers an re adj them an see if that clears the tapping up..my car was hard to start after it got worm also an then my opti went after i parked the car for 2 weeks..im not sure if it was 100% my opti's fault or not,seeing i have not dug into my motor yet..i keep buying parts for the motor that keeps me from swaping my opti out.once i get my electric water pump an 6al ign in i will be installing all my stuff.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just pulled the cover off but how do i tell which ones hitting, i dont see any marks on the inside of the valve cover
Old 04-22-2010, 12:56 PM
10 Second Club

Check your temperature sender. I bet the temperature sender is bad, causes the computer to 'think' the engine is cold throwing fuel at it. Rich less power, washes rings and all kinds of bad things.

The sensor is not expensive and you can check it with an ohm meter. I bet the values are on Shbox site and probably trouble shooting guide as well.

Good luck
Old 04-22-2010, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

dunno if i got lucky or if im just an idiot, i put the valve cover back on (didnt touch anything) and started it up and i didnt hear any ticking! was it on too tight and thats why it was ticking? or did i just not tighten it enough and thats why its no longer ticking lol...