LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I guess im getting old

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 10:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I really feel bad for all of you younger guys. Cars today are more complicated, and FAR more cramped under the hood that they used to be. At least when I was starting out, back in the late 60s, you could pop the hood, see the enging clearly, and in most cases, even see some of the ground, just by looking past the engine.

It made it far easier to learn "the basics" because you could actually see the parts you wanted to work on, and easily "r&r" them without having to be a contortionist....
I'd actually say LT1 f-bodies aren't too bad for working on. Except the plugs and wires of course. Not as great as those old boats mind you, but not bad at all for modern cars. Also, no drum brakes

Surprisingly my 94 lt1 caprice (beater) is one of the last dinosaurs where you can see much of the ground with the hood open but it's actually a PITA to work on.

Heater core on caprice = all day job. On camaro = 10 minutes.

Brake job was easier on the camaro because the calipers actually swing open (they don't on my caprice).

Brake lines on caprice? ughhhhhhhh. Went up into a tiny little "tunnel" near the driver's side exhaust manifold. If it rusted any farther up I would have had to drop the manifold.

Pulling the power steering pump on camaro = easy. On caprice = nightmare (could get wrench in there, barely, but flare nut was stripped. Vice grips would not fit. Had to cut the line).
Old 04-25-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im yet, another(26yrs old) with back problems. I see my Chiro. a least once a month(curved spine) and will soon have to have a minor surgery on both of my kidneys. Hopefully, that will be the last Dr. visit for a LONG TIME. Im going to TRY to work on my car, while Im on recovery, which will be 3-4 weeks off work.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I really feel bad for all of you younger guys. Cars today are more complicated, and FAR more cramped under the hood that they used to be. At least when I was starting out, back in the late 60s, you could pop the hood, see the enging clearly, and in most cases, even see some of the ground, just by looking past the engine.

It made it far easier to learn "the basics" because you could actually see the parts you wanted to work on, and easily "r&r" them without having to be a contortionist....
Lol My Dad looks at my car shakes his head and walks away. He wants no part of modern cars. Then goes over to his 64 Fairlane and says theres the engine.(yes hes a Ford guy)
Old 04-25-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Lol My Dad looks at my car shakes his head and walks away. He wants no part of modern cars. Then goes over to his 64 Fairlane and says theres the engine.(yes hes a Ford guy)
What a traitor of a son! Thankfully my good buddy Dave did all my work for me and charged me dirt cheap to do it! I'd be screwed without him.

I'm not going to lie though, I am interested to see how those new Mustang GT's do. That or a new SS would be a nice DD cruiser after I'm out of college.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hang in there Tony. Things do change as the family grows. I missed the last shootout cause it was too close to my daughters HS graduation. I've missed quite a few days that were on the callender for the track but something popped up and had to cancel. I still enjoy working on the car when I get a chance. Here lately it seems the car is always last on the list. Building tranmissions in my spare time is getting in the way so I am considering bringing that to a hault to free up time. I've considered selling or trading my car also yet I still work on it. Just turned 47. Still kicking.

Mec
Old 04-25-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
LOL carbs

Quick Reply: I guess im getting old