LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

looking for the right heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 08:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WHAT POWER DO YOU WANT TO MAKE AND WHAT IS YOUR BUDGET?

Geez everyone put your peckers back in your pants!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
Dude, you are a certifiable ******* retard. I hope you know that. I get appointed sick of people spouting **** they read on the net when they gave never DONE ANYTHING themselves. Just shut the **** up.

OP, call AI, Lloyd Elliott, etc and talk to them. You'll get a lot better info than asking someone on a forum fit advice. I would scrap that cam and get one specd to go with the heads you choose. LE3, AI 200 ate some PROVEN combos. This Brodix this, and trickflow 21 degree that, that everyone is preaching are much less PROVEN and more spendy. Stick with what works.

...and that's why you will only be as fast as everyone else.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdullah
the heads you are talking about are setup for race not for the street. they will not be drivable on the street.
every head can be driven on the street..the head dont know if its on a track or street..you could run a baby 550 lift cam or a 800 lift cam if you wanted on the street...it has nothing to do with heads being setup in that sense.. it all has to do with the engine and how its set up..what cam,compression,stroke,bore,parts,gas an other restrictions you may have to deal with is what will determins if you are going to spin it to 7k or 9k.

Last edited by suicidal racing; 04-25-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Veteran

the heads you are talking about are setup for race not for the street. they will not be drivable on the street.
What internet source do you get your info?

Why cant you drive a "big" head on the street? I do, I dont drive it everyday. But with a Hyd roller I could. Technically I COULD drive this car daily.

I have a 245cc port on my car with a med size solid roller on stock electronics, power peaks at 6600 rpm and I have stock electronics, super vic the whole bit.

With a "better" head you can run a smaller cam. Ai cars demonstrate this they make killer power with small(er) cams.

A LS3 has a 240+ cc port with a 15* valve angle from the factory. Warrantied for 100,000 miles.

All you internet hero's start BUILDING some cars instead puking what you have read in a 10 year old book.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:53 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Comparing port sizes from different engine designs is pointless.

Far as LT1 vs converted gen 1 stuff, every carb head I run into at the track is floored by my car's performance with my little motor and ported GM heads, so it can't be that bad compared to the gen 1 stuff.

What is popular often has LITTLE to do with what is GOOD. They are separate considerations.
Popularity is won by marketing more so than results or quality.
Bench racing is different from actual racing, most people can't tell the difference though.

There is a kid in this area I have not run into yet but friends have. Kid has a 4th gen with popular heads and cam and truly believes it makes 460rwhp. I would LOVE to run into him at the track and set him straight with my GOOD setup that does not make 460rwhp and does weigh a few hundred pounds more. A little REAL RACING for an actual RESULT would shut him up.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY

A LS3 has a 240+ cc port with a 15* valve angle from the factory. Warrantied for 100,000 miles.
Took the words right outta my mouth!
Old 04-25-2010, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
i would run a cam with more lift an i would get the new profiler sbc head and have it converted to reverse cooliong..the decks are think and good and the head flows 294 at .600,298 at 700 lift and 304 at .800 lift..

there around 1250$ for a set..

heres a thread on them
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=237858

I followed the link.
Your blind assertion that this is an excellent option is based on a thread with pictures dated 4/23/10 so I really doubt there are and real tests of that pair of heads to base your opinion on.

The flow numbers are also on a 4.125 bore with a 2.08 valve. Wonder how they would fair on a 4.030 bore and if shrouding would present an issue???

Not to mention flow numbers in that thread are a good bit higher than manufacturer published.

A lot of guys with great results from little 2.00/1.56 valves in a 200cc ported GM head. No bench racing necessary, lots of real world data to support it.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Bench racing is different from actual racing, most people can't tell the difference though.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I followed the link.
Your blind assertion that this is an excellent option is based on a thread with pictures dated 4/23/10 so I really doubt there are and real tests of that pair of heads to base your opinion on.

The flow numbers are also on a 4.125 bore with a 2.08 valve. Wonder how they would fair on a 4.030 bore and if shrouding would present an issue???

Not to mention flow numbers in that thread are a good bit higher than manufacturer published.

A lot of guys with great results from little 2.00/1.56 valves in a 200cc ported GM head. No bench racing necessary, lots of real world data to support it.
in that link alone theres 2 pump gas motors,421ci making 600hp on 93 and a 406 making 581 on 91 and then theres a 383 that i seen in a diff thread that went from 11.04 to running 10.6s when swapped from sportsman 2 to these 210s...These heads are new yes so there just now making there way on combos but for 1300$ your getting that out the box which is comparable to the a.i trickflow 21 degree heads which cost 2500$

Yes the flow numbers are on a 4.125 bore and the numbers for a.i's lt1 21tf head is done on a 4.60 bore.But flow numbers arent everything in a head..i said that before but i think i deleted that when i cleaned up the bickering post. a 2.08 valve aint that big of a valve its a very common size for a 4.03 bore.ive used 2.10s on none rolled heads..the 2.08 valve is only 48% when it comes to bore size an stuff if i remember correctly.

As for the flow numbers an the bench well every bench is diff and theres no 2 benchs the same and just because they are a bit higher then the mani's dont mean much seeing how some benchs are very giving and some are not..a good company thats known for a very very giving bench is none other then brodix..

but did you look at profilers site vs the ones chad flowed and then the ones in a diff link flowed? at .700 lift chads are +4cfm vs profilers numbers and then the others at .700 lift are -4cfm from profilers site

All im saying is there heads out there that are better then the trick flow 21 heads in as cast forum in the same price range..the a.i stuff i started with only came from when the guy said to run there ported tf's when for 1k cheaper you could run a set of -11s,afr 210,rhs 235s or the profilers 210s and be right about where you would be with the tf ported 21 heads..now factor in the port work you can have done with the extra cash you save on the casting and them 4 heads above will walk the ported tf's

All a lt1 motor is just a gen 1 engine with reverse cooling nothing more nothing less..so dont just look at heads meant for just lt1s when theres a very proven market out there with 1st gen motors an them heads can be converted to work..
Old 04-25-2010, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
What internet source do you get your info?

Why cant you drive a "big" head on the street? I do, I dont drive it everyday. But with a Hyd roller I could. Technically I COULD drive this car daily.

I have a 245cc port on my car with a med size solid roller on stock electronics, power peaks at 6600 rpm and I have stock electronics, super vic the whole bit.

With a "better" head you can run a smaller cam. Ai cars demonstrate this they make killer power with small(er) cams.

All you internet hero's start BUILDING some cars instead puking what you have read in a 10 year old book.
mike c. a ls1tech.com member said that his f-body LS1 car with the LS3 heads with more than 260cc runner volume is slower with less powerful LS1 cars that run cathedral ~220cc LS1 heads. he said the LS3 heads are lazy heads even if they make more power than the cathedral heads, the cathedral heads are quicker and faster. you will need more gears more compression with bigger heads you low end torque will suffer your car will be more suited for the track not for the street.

correction ""sorry, just wanted to say as what mike c. said, he said that his car with ported L92 heads and a 402ci is as fast as other cathedral LS TFS headed cars with less hp and smaller ci motors""

if you want more power for the street small heads just add a supercharger system or turbocharger system to them.

Last edited by Abdullah; 04-26-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mike c. a ls1tech.com member said that his f-body LS1 car with the LS3 heads with more than 260cc runner volume is slower with less powerful LS1 cars that run cathedral ~220cc LS1 heads. he said the LS3 heads are lazy heads even if they make more power than the cathedral heads, the cathedral heads are quicker and faster. you will need more gears more compression with bigger heads you low end torque will suffer your car will be more suited for the track not for the street.

if you want more power for the street small heads just add a supercharger system or turbocharger system to them.
why would you try to stick a 2.16 valve in a 3.90 bore? if the heads are so lazy why are they going in 6000 pound trucks and getting 20mpg?

beside the point, the OP needs to figure out some goals, and a small cam like that in a 383 looks like hes aiming pretty low.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
why would you try to stick a 2.16 valve in a 3.90 bore? if the heads are so lazy why are they going in 6000 pound trucks and getting 20mpg?

beside the point, the OP needs to figure out some goals, and a small cam like that in a 383 looks like hes aiming pretty low.
i think mike c. has LS3 block with the LS3 heads or it could be a LS2 block and i didn't talk about mpg i talked about performance, this is a point.

second, if you are convinced with something and i'm convinced with something then this is up to each of us, no need to talk in a way that is like i know better than you or you don't know much, understood. i don't like argueing, and over that often i don't even get a result from argueing.

any post that i feel the poster don't want to get a benefit or just want to argue with no result, i will not answer that post.

Last edited by Abdullah; 04-26-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is mike c. mods in the link below :

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...rted-l92s.html

check post # 28 in the link below. mike c. has a 402 with ported L92 heads (similar to or same as LS3) see what he said about his ported L92 heads and 402ci :

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...02-l92s-3.html

Last edited by Abdullah; 04-26-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

here is mike c. mods in the link below :

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...rted-l92s.html

check post # 28 in the link below. mike c. has a 402 with ported L92 heads (similar to or same as LS3) see what he said about his ported L92 heads and 402ci :

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...02-l92s-3.html
just because he has monster heads dont mean what him or you are saying is fully true..he clearly states his heads are ported..heres the problem is some people port heads for just flow numbers and hog the **** out them with out paying attion to the wet flow of the port,chamber and flame travel,csa,v&e and air speed..

with out paying attion to what i just said you can kill a head..i could have a head that flows 20 or 30 cfm more then another properly ported and the one that is worked right will kill the bigger flowing head in power just because it is set up right and not just hogged out.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
just because he has monster heads dont mean what him or you are saying is fully true..he clearly states his heads are ported..heres the problem is some people port heads for just flow numbers and hog the **** out them with out paying attion to the wet flow of the port,chamber and flame travel,csa,v&e and air speed..

with out paying attion to what i just said you can kill a head..i could have a head that flows 20 or 30 cfm more then another properly ported and the one that is worked right will kill the bigger flowing head in power just because it is set up right and not just hogged out.
i don't know much about wet flow or other parameters to get good results in head porting, maybe you are correct in some point , but not for very big heads or race heads with hogged out big runners and high flow numbers. the heads with good runners design and high port velocity (usualy they are small ports) will be better than heads with hogged out big runners and high flow numbers.

Last edited by Abdullah; 04-27-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This suicidal dumbass sure is an expert for not even knowing how to get his car tuned, or how to fix an oil leak for that matter.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

This suicidal dumbass sure is an expert for not even knowing how to get his car tuned, or how to fix an oil leak for that matter.
Not trying to be a dick, but it clearly looks like you are being a typical ls1tech hater...
Old 04-26-2010, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep. Getting sick of the dumbasses. Maybe ill go hide out elsewhere
Old 04-26-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

after your comment that i qouted in my sig it shows who the real dumbass is there buddy..i dont spit car forums info off like you do..i have real world experinece.

Not knowing how to get my car tuned??? your a joker i see,tell me how an where i said that..i said i want a mail order tune which will have somethings im asking for put into the tune..so tech it will be sort of my tune an then i explained why im not going to buy the **** to do it myself and made it clear that my lt1 engine is just being ran so my car dont sit while i get parts and build my turbo engine an when i say build THATS ME BUILDING IT NOT PAYING SOME ONE TO DO IT FOR ME...I said already that i could just convert my motor to carb and tune it myself 100% for what it would cost to dyno tune it if there was someone around me who did it or buying the stuff to tune it only to use a handful of times and then be stuck with the crap.

As for my oil leak..i found it..i asked a simple question about anything being ran above the bell houseing or around it that could leak oil on these cars,with clean none grease hands i found it.

So now tell me this Gregrob oh mister smarty pants do you build your own engines,trans,rears and cars from the ground up and tune them yourself or do you just sit on the forums reading stuff and then cut and paste it into threads to make it sound like your the man..i already know you cant read plugs so i hope your not giving n2o advice or running it..**** you probley think ngk tr6 plugs are the ticket for juice..lmao

Now what i find funny is for days now ive told you if you got a problem with me pm me..but yet for days i see no almighty gregrob pm in my box witch tells me all about your charactor an how much of a boy you are..
Old 04-26-2010, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is getting entertaining

Quick Reply: looking for the right heads