Old 04-27-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not taking the time to read all that gibberish
Old 04-27-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdullah
i don't know much about wet flow or other parameters to get good results in head porting, maybe you are correct in some point , but not for very big heads or race heads with hogged out big runners and high flow numbers. the heads with good runners design and high port velocity (usaualy they are small ports) will be better than heads with hogged out big runners and high flow numbers.
if your hoged out big head is set up right it should have the veloctity to support the engine..but alot has to do with cam specs also and other things..its about the whole big pic not just 1 little part of it to have a good motor..you can miss one thing an the engine can be a dog..

but your saying the same thing im pretty much saying with your last sentince.

just look at say comp eliminator engines..sbc heads that have 280 and up cc runner that flow 400-430 cfm and on lil 330ci and smaller engines spinning 10k.

then you can also look at some of the pump gas engines in hot rods engine master challenge where there 350ci-400 or cubic inchs and there making 550-650hp and using heads that started there life out at 230cc before porting..

you just got to have the right package for what you plan on doing and every motor is diff.

i would rather over head a motor vs giving it just enough or maybe not enough..it leaves me options for down the road on what i can do as in running a larger cam,more comp,n2o or larger stroke

Last edited by suicidal racing; 04-27-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
if your hoged out big head is set up right it should have the veloctity to support the engine..but alot has to do with cam specs also and other things..its about the whole big pic not just 1 little part of it to have a good motor..you can miss one thing an the engine can be a dog..

but your saying the same thing im pretty much saying with your last sentince.

just look at say comp eliminator engines..sbc heads that have 280 and up cc runner that flow 400-430 cfm and on lil 330ci and smaller engines spinning 10k.

then you can also look at some of the pump gas engines in hot rods engine master challenge where there 350ci-400 or cubic inchs and there making 550-650hp and using heads that started there life out at 230cc before porting..

you just got to have the right package for what you plan on doing and every motor is diff.

i would rather over head a motor vs giving it just enough or maybe not enough..it leaves me options for down the road on what i can do as in running a larger cam,more comp,n2o or larger stroke
this is your opinion on big race heads 230cc and up and such heads i feel they will not work well for the street specialy in NA setup until i try them and find out.

p.s. post up when you finish your 88mm turbo and LSX engine in your 94 Z28, i want to see what it will do on a dynojet and how it will run in a track and also on the street with other cars.

Last edited by Abdullah; 04-27-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey no problem man..ive had a range of heads from 23 degree 210s to 12 degree sb2.2 heads in the 290s..to each there own man..

1 thing about this world of engines and power everyone has there own theorys about making power and what they like to do from their yrs of doing it and i respect that and even try and take something from it if i can..im no expert and wont claim to be ever.

Anyone will tell you alot of what was the **** 10yrs ago and a good theory is now outdated
Old 04-27-2010, 07:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look man....most of these cars are street driven in this forum. They aren't running Pro Super top Fuel Nascar Indy Formula-1 races. Your advice is seriously "the suck" for most around here. Having a head that makes good velocity on a 10,000rpm motor is gonna be **** on street driven rpm range.

If somebody wants future options....my advice is to run a good unported AFR or TF with their current stuff and if they decide to become the king of Top Fuel like you, then they can have those heads ported out to work for them later. Tada, now they are future proof and not driving around a dog *** lazy motor until they build some rpms.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Teching In

First post here and I already know I'm going to love this place....
Old 04-27-2010, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thehammer69
look man....most of these cars are street driven in this forum. They aren't running Pro Super top Fuel Nascar Indy Formula-1 races. Your advice is seriously "the suck" for most around here. Having a head that makes good velocity on a 10,000rpm motor is gonna be **** on street driven rpm range.

If somebody wants future options....my advice is to run a good unported AFR or TF with their current stuff and if they decide to become the king of Top Fuel like you, then they can have those heads ported out to work for them later. Tada, now they are future proof and not driving around a dog *** lazy motor until they build some rpms.
when i say over head a motor it dont really mean to stick a 245cc or larger head on a street engine..im saying just get a head 10 or 15cc larger...which works plenty well and dont kill power like you think an i def agree with running a afr head.they make killer power..

the thing im getting is buy a lil larger head then most run and then you dont even have to pay for port work..will you loss some low range power yes depending on your cam and compression..if your running a stroker or even a 3600 stall on your car its not going to kill you an be the end of the world..

this is my thoughts an theorys people can have the right to there own and can make the choice on what they want to do on here...im not forceing them to do anything..
Old 04-27-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

. . . . . . 0_o
Old 05-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Teching In

NHRA get r dun
Old 05-12-2010, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

do not waste your money on trick flow junk or ai **** and porting..ill be flat out real with you..get the heads i posted an have them converted..a shop should be able to do it for 200$ extra..

in the world of sbc 23 degree heads trick flow is on the bottom of the list..

you want to know the best heads for as cast an price goes like this

dart 215cc 1500$,brodix 215cc 1500$,rhs 215 1400$,afr 210cc 1550$,profiler 210cc 1250$'s

Now if you want the ulitimate heads and have 3k-6k to blow the run down gos like this

brodix -11s or -10x worked heavy and welded up,rhs heads are nasty also talk to tony at bes,all pro 245s worked over and cfe's 23 degree heads..

in order i know of engines n/a with single carbs from 841hp,860hp,89xhp and around 950hp.

no one i know of has ran a set of extreamly worked over profilers yet in a top n/a class like nmca pro stock or ram racings 10.5 or dr class..

I could bought any one of these heads and been happy but I went with the bottom of the heap 21* Trickflows Im just playing with you man

I saw alot of fun and some good results in these new trickflow 21's as they flow great with such a small cross section and small 185cc runners. Im really a sucker though for buying Trickflow stuff as they are in my hometown and Im a Canton/Akron born and raised Ohio boy. I do agree though on the Profilers being pretty awesome but they are geared more for getting crazy and putting in some exceptional port work to make huge numbers on the bench.

If I had your build I still would stick with the 21's and port them my self. In your case though being you have a nice 383 and should rev well into upper 6000rpm's easy I would hands down not think twice and get the 215cc trickflow castings ported by AI with matching cam FROM AI.

Now on the other hand stock castings can get you very killer results. I have a set up heads and intake Imworking on for a super stock LT1 and it must retain a 170cc runner and still run 10's all day. And I know its not all in the heads to get that 10sec run Any ways I have epoxied the floors over a 1/4" close to a 1/2" more like it, I then epoxied entire outer casting then raised roofs the same amount as floors. I then shaped the ports to look like a traditional SBC with wider and rounded corners to allow a higher rpm potential. I then spent alot of time filling all of the LT1's square port angles and wall to floor, wall to roof transistions into a smooth streamlined shaped. This is all done within a 170cc intake port volume and still gives the cam and bottem end steam to pull to 8000rpms using a holley powercomander 950 fuel/timing setup. The intake started as a stock 93 casting and has the top cut off and runners full epoxied but must retain the factory 52MM TB size, toss that 52MM is to small idea out the window lol. The runners are fully epoxied exact size and angle/width etc, and has the port roof raised just as tall.

This just lets you know any head will work but some require a little more love than the others and thought put into your final build.

My choice
1: AI TF's
2: LE Dart 215-220's
3: Profilers converted by TEA (dennis) are top pick if your thinking hardcore 600HP+ nasty solid roller, max PCM out at 7000rpms
4:Stock AI or LE3's use the 374 stamped castings.

I wish I could afford the vendor fee's

Hope this helps
Josh

Quick Reply: looking for the right heads