LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Speed density tuners an users come inside! looking for a tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Speed density tuners an users come inside! looking for a tune

Alright i need to know whos the person to see for a mail order tune..i know theres pcmforless,madtuner but who else is out there..i know ed wright but for his price i can convert to carb and tune the car myself..

So im trying to find out who is out there to use..lets hear some results also
Old 04-26-2010, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mail order tuning is bullshit
Old 04-26-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

its a bolt on car..i would dyno tune it but then i would be spending the same amount of money it would cost me to just swap over to carb and tune it myself.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gregrob
Mail order tuning is bullshit
Now that may be a little harsh, mail tuning is what it is. Some view it as bullshit (as stated earlier) but sometimes it is a necessary evil for several reasons either access to a dyno tuner or perhaps the mods not really requiring that detailed of a tune. I have used madtuner twice now and both of his tunes have been pretty close. The first cam only tune was essentially just to drive it to the dyno to have it tuned and the second more recent one was to break everything in (bottom end, gears, etc) and it is running quite well for a mail order tune. I am sure there is much more in it but for a conservative tune from accross the country I think he does a pretty damn good job so for that he gets my vote.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well for a guy claiming to go after the bolt on only record I would think he would want to fine tune things a little rather than blindly guessing. But he's the expert.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

gregbob i told you to pm me if you got a problem with me and i didnt get a pm..i am no expert do i know my ****,spec out my own **** and build my own **** yes..but i know theres a ton of info still out there for me to learn and ive even forgot alot.

Now yes im going for the bolt on record..my car is going to be alot lighter then toms car who is the current holder,im running more lift and doing alot more tricks ive learned from super stock,super comp,comp eliminator and outlaw style racing over the yrs..

i went threw the list above on the site and got a good idea of what the mail order tunes are putting down with bolt ons and with my diff mods and tricks i got an idea of where ill be at also even with a mail order tune.An i will say ill be making a good amount more then tom for a bolt on deal...
Old 04-26-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

what about soloman or what ever his name is?? he any good
Old 04-26-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you are honestly going for the bolt-on record I would get a mail order tune from MadZ28 or PCMForLess and then buy Tunercats or LT1 Edit as well. You are going to need to tweak any mail order tune you get but at least it will give you a starting point.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

if your going for the bolt on record now, why not buy the software and do it yourself with a wideband? you will need it later anyway if you mod it further.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Reason why im just trying to get a mail order tune is because theres no place to dyno tune around here.i would tune it myself but if i factor in the cost of everything i could just convert to carb an tune it myself..

also the car will only have the lt1 in it for another couple months before i swap over to a lsx blow threw turbo engine im doing now.im just playing with the lt1 because i dont want my car sitting for months so i figured why not play with the lt1 an go after the recordsince shes already sitting in my engine bay you know.

whom ever does my mail order tune will get certain details..i might just swap over to carb though still..its a option im still weighing..
Old 04-26-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Regular

got ya
Old 04-26-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
its a bolt on car..i would dyno tune it but then i would be spending the same amount of money it would cost me to just swap over to carb and tune it myself.
I run a mail order / bolt-on tune from Alvin at pcmforless, no complaints.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

he i pm'ed you..would like to get more details on your car.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mail Order tunes aren't b.s, most people have the false pretense that the cars going to be perfect with the first try. Takes a lot of data logging, dyno time, street miles to get a car right.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

^i agree you would have to spend alot of time data logging to get diff types of condtions for the weather an your driving to tune it to your driving style and area of the country you live in to best optimise it to you and your needs..

my car will be drag car,pushed to the line make a pass an then kill the engine on the top end and towed back..ill be bringing my oil and trans to temp and then circulate chilled water threw the motor an iceing my intake to drop the temps then pushed to the lane.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lol, its gonna be hilarious to see that followed up by a 13 second pass
Old 04-27-2010, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

sorry dude but im not you..my **** will go 11.20s or teens..

face it gregrob your a ******* tool and are mad ive made you look like a dumb *** a couple times now..i know you read what i typed in the other thread and you didnt respond because you dont build your motors,trans,rears,chassis or do the tuning and have to pay people to do it for you.

you cant even read plugs so really what the **** do you know??..your a poser trying to act tuff and cool on a internet forum who dont even have the ***** to p.m a person you got a problem with..**** least if you did pm me i would give you some respect but yet your a lil boy who probley didnt get enough hugs when you where a child an was picked on so now you hide behind a computer trying to act tuff and look like a know it all so you can finaly look cool..

its ok though ill let you beat on your chest from now on so people dont find out the truth about you and that way you can keep trying to feel better about yourself and not get depressed because of your low self esteem and kill yourself.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yep, you got me. I'm a rich kid poser who pays for all my work to be done. And I have no self image. And you've made me look really dumb so far...

Yep, you pretty much nailed it.

LOL
Old 04-27-2010, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

see it feels good beating on your chest self esteem raising back up there huh..feelin a little better now are we

i never called you rich though..but for your purposes we can go with that..and damn if your going to qoute some one why dont you qoute what was really said...not change it?? yours in my sig is your exact words,,heres my exact words for you to reqoute seeing i never said ai porting was ****.

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
do not waste your money on trick flow junk or ai **** and porting..
i know gregrob you dont want people to know i was really saying why spend 2500$ for a fully ported trick flow 21 head ported from ai when you can spend 1k less and have a gen 1 sbc head that would run right with it..but we wont let people know that..it will be our secret
Old 04-27-2010, 02:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

You're ******* high.

And let's see some results on those $1000 heads compared to the LT1 offerings currently available. Hell let's use AI as a benchmark since you think one would be "wasting" their money on them.

Are you talking about these things: http://www.profilerperformance.com/sbc-heads-176.html

First of all the only place the flow decent is at .700 lift. How many people here do you see running .700 lift on a street cam?

Second of all it's a 210cc intake port. Not bad but still a little hefty for a stock shortblock / stock cubes.

Third at the useable lift range of most anyone this forum these heads flow LESS than a set of AI 190 or 200s... That means less streetable.

Fourth they are a 64cc chamber. I would love to see you slap them on a stock compression short block and see how it ran. It would likely be a turd due to loss of compression. I bet well set up cam only cars would walk its *** all day every day.

Fifth, we dont even know what bore size those things were flowed on. If it was larger than 4.03, well I dont really have to say anything else.

You seem intent on convincing everyone on this board that they need to "over head their engines" so they have "room to grow for a plate or bigger carb or fi" etc, etc.

What you fail to realize is that there are companies that have been hashing out these combos for YEARS and ACTUALLY PRODUCING top-notch results for their customers.

99% OF THE PEOPLE ON HERE ARE NOT LOOKING FOR A MAX EFFORT RACE SETUP. You need to get that through your thick retarded skull.

EVERYTHING you have said on this subject would effectively have people spending money on a giant pile of horse **** that wouldn't run with a stock bolt on car on the street.

You said yourself you are going to get pushed to the line, iced down, blast for one pass and tow it back to the trailer.

Perhaps you should consider a little context next time before you go spewing unwarranted, unwanted, unproven, and unsound advice.

You can continue on in your little fantasy would of bench racing, and "I would do this" or "I would do that" while the rest of us will enjoy our cars, on the street, and pick proven reliable combos that allow us to do so.

And I'm sure the 1% that ARE going for a max effort, race-only setup dont need YOU to tell them how to do it. There are several people on here running converted SBC stuff. BIG ******* DEAL. It working well or not has nothing to do with the fact that they stepped out and tried something different, its all about the combo. Regardless of the platform.

So again I say to you, actually DO something, and give us some RESULTS, or shut the **** up.

Quick Reply: Speed density tuners an users come inside! looking for a tune