LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spark Plug Boots Within 1/8" Of Collectors - Plug Wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark Plug Boots Within 1/8" Of Collectors - Plug Wrap?

I am working on my install of Hooker shorties for the dual-cat LT1 system, and the collector on the drivers side is right between the 5 & 7 plugs. I had to bfh the collector to be able to even install the plug boot for #7 and now have about 1/8" gap. #5 is less than 1/8" gap but I haven't bfh'd that side yet. I have MSD 8.5 wires which have thick boots that are supposed to be heat resistant. I have some Thermo Tec Thermo-Shield wrap that I was thinking of putting on the plug wires. Would that, coupled with the thick MSD boots, be enough to protect the boots from melting that close to the collector? Pic below.

Btw, I HATE these headers.
Attached Thumbnails Spark Plug Boots Within 1/8" Of Collectors - Plug Wrap?-103_0500.jpg  
Old 04-29-2010, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you fit the sock metal boot cover on there somehow

or just use a fire sleeve or boot
Old 04-29-2010, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You mean the metal boot cover that was on the stock wires? Probably...wasn't sure if it would help or hurt if it is making contact with the collector.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:32 PM
8 Second Club

I went thru 3 sets of MSD 8.5 when I had hooker shorties. So I went and got some Insultherm fiberglass sleeves for around $27 and haven't burned thru one since.

Just search for "Insultherm spark plug boots" in google, it should be the first result.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

With one of my previous sets of headers I used a stock plug wire on number 6 because without it the thicker aftermarket boots were too close. There are cases where a thinner boot than therefore a larger airgap is your best defense.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where along the wire did you burn through? And how long did it usually take before one went bad?

Originally Posted by fex77k
I went thru 3 sets of MSD 8.5 when I had hooker shorties. So I went and got some Insultherm fiberglass sleeves for around $27 and haven't burned thru one since.

Just search for "Insultherm spark plug boots" in google, it should be the first result.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:29 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by dubga
Where along the wire did you burn through? And how long did it usually take before one went bad?
I think the shortest time it took was a few weeks. The shorties make it very hard to route thru the passenger side. The main problem is the first half foot from the spark plug. with the fiberglass boots I don't care if a wire is running next to the header.
Here is the best picture I have. Its the center two passenger side exhaust ports (4 & 6) that burnt the number 8 wire. I wound up using a number 7 wire and running it over the top of the 2,4, and 6 primaries. I also had the steering knuckle rub a drivers side wire down a good bit. The worst part of hooker shorties is I'm not sure its much easier than stock to change the plugs or route the wires.
http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...t=100_0138.jpg
http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...t=PIC-0049.jpg
http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...t=100_0139.jpg
Just click the links I didn't want to jack your thread with pictures of my old stock lt1.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

THanks for the pics. I should be fine in the areas where you had trouble. My wires are below the headers, tied out of the way, and in the eom heat shields. My only concern is the 5&7 at the spark plug boots. They are almost touching the collector.

I wrapped them in the fiberglass wrap I had and also pushed the oem shields on the boots. Hopefully that will be good, but I will keep check on them for a while till I feel more comfortable.

God, what a nightmare this has been. I would like to find the guy who designed these and beat him over the head with a set!!

Thanks again for the pics.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Boots Within 1/8" Of Collectors - Plug Wrap?