LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Procharger with LE1 heads, how much boost......and more questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
It's not an issue of "working" as much as being effecient. Boost is a result of there being pressure in your manifold/cylinders. The more pressure you have the more issues you will have with lifting heads or popping a hole in whatever your weakest link is. Not to mention how fast you have to spin your charger/turbo and where it's effeciency is. A more effecient motor will make the same power on lower boost.

Lets just say:

700 = stock heads/exhaust + 25psi
700 = stock heads/LT's + 22psi
700 = ported stockers/LT's + 18psi
700 = TFS 21*/single plane/LT's + 15psi

The easier the air flows through your motor the lower the amount of pressure you need and ultimately the longer your engine will live. Same thing can be said about cubic inches and RPM.
Yeah I understand that. Just was hoping it wouldn't take that much boost with my heads. Maybe I will just stick with the 600rwhp. Maybe I will just shoot maybe a 50 shot of nitrous. I heard you can get quite a bit more due to the fact that nitrous is cooling the air so much.

This is just a curious question. Adding the nitrous wouldn't that just be the same as upping the boost with the turbo. Because the nitrous, if I'm not mistaken, when it reaches a certain temperature it releases all the oxygen which would increase the cylinder pressure. Correct? Isn't this the same as adding boost. Wouldn't someone that did this depending on how much nitrous they add with the turbo would need even lower compression pistons. If not could someone explain why?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

this is a really good article from gm high tech regarding the relationship of na power and what it will make with boost, its a really good starter course for what your interested in here.

http://goo.gl/4jag

take a few minutes to read through it
Old 05-03-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dangalla
this is a really good article from gm high tech regarding the relationship of na power and what it will make with boost, its a really good starter course for what your interested in here.

http://goo.gl/4jag

take a few minutes to read through it
Thanks.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gregrob
It does not take 200 ******* horsepower to run the drive train. Geeze I get sick of this ricer math.
First 20% is NOT 200 hp. Are you playing stupid or are you being serious? To be this far from reality takes reaL TALENT (not).

Since you think ~12.7 1/4 makes you an expert racer (LMAO) now you know power train loses tell us what power train loses he should expect on his setup?

Please take your own advice and STFU. 12.7 is not racing I would need to coast from 60 foot to go that slow. In fact I did a launch and coasted to a 7.9 your car hasn't even been that fast WOT.

People you can believe what you want I don't care who you believe, I just don't have time for morons anymore and as I said he is King of the Morons.

Once he answers try posting in the adult section (Forced Induction or Power train) to verify his answer.

Good luck
Old 05-03-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey stupid ****, if you cant keep it on topic why dont you take it to pm's like you did last time. You toothless inbred ******* redneck piece of ****
Old 05-03-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

and for the record I WAS NOT REFERRING TO YOU when I posted that. I know it's hard for your dim little narcassistic brain to comprehend, but other people can post in a thread with out directly addressing you or challenging what you've said. Get a life
Old 05-03-2010, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Hey stupid ****, if you cant keep it on topic why dont you take it to pm's like you did last time. You toothless inbred ******* redneck piece of ****
Still no facts ha?

I am from New York moron. In a 50 50 world how are you almost always wrong?

Give your answer!

What should he expect to lose? If 20% is way off post what it is, so it can be verified or do what you recommended and STFU

You don't have the ***** to answer because you have no clue!
Old 05-03-2010, 08:16 PM
10 Second Club

and for the record I WAS NOT REFERRING TO YOU when I posted that. I know it's hard for your dim little narcassistic brain to comprehend, but other people can post in a thread with out directly addressing you or challenging what you've said. Get a life
I don't care who you referred to, your statement is WRONG. Quit spinning and answer what the loses are we heard what you think it isn't so give the thread the answer.

I am SICK of you making stupid statements. Back up what you say or STFU

Is that clear I think what you posted is WRONG and challenge your statement. Answer the question or move on.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

It does not take 200 ******* horsepower to run the drive train. Geeze I get sick of this ricer math.
What's your issue? Kinda strange to come in ranting and raving about drivetrain losses in this guys thread.

Hopefully a mod can clean this up for the OP.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
What does the machining cost to o-ring the heads? Do you have to do the block as well?
My friend has a shop so he does it for me. He does the block only. Both is the best way but expensive because of setup.

I think he said if both done basically they won't ever leak. Meaning something else becomes the weak point. For 'normal' people I thinki head or block o ring is affordable and all we need.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by djm_e22
Yeah that is why I was wondering how much boost I need to reach 700rwhp Since I only have LE1 heads, I knew I would need more boost to reach my goal compared to an aftermarket ported head.

So definantly go with copper gasket 0-ring heads. I will be constantly researching for the next year and a half.
IMO use copper I have had good luck a friend has used them for years. He is a machinist and says they hold >25 when o ringed. I know they are good on his cars and no problem on my 2.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by boosted LT1
I don't care who you referred to, your statement is WRONG. Quit spinning and answer what the loses are we heard what you think it isn't so give the thread the answer.

I am SICK of you making stupid statements. Back up what you say or STFU

Is that clear I think what you posted is WRONG and challenge your statement. Answer the question or move on.
1 I didn't say **** about 20% its you're weak little brain making stuff up again so you can argue more.

2 my original statement is that it doesn't take 200hp to run a drivetrain. And its correct whether you like it or not.

EAD
Old 05-03-2010, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

~.8 Flywheel = RWHP that is AVERAGE not specific so use it as a guess only. 350 and 9 will tend to lose more.
From my statement if a car makes 1000 hp it will lose ~200 hp.

1 I didn't say **** about 20% its you're weak little brain making stuff up again so you can argue more.

2 my original statement is that it doesn't take 200hp to run a drivetrain. And its correct whether you like it or not.

EAD
Finally an answer. So according to you a 1000 RWHP does not lose 200 RWHP?

You ARE wrong!

The higher the hp the greater the loses. PERIOD. The powertrain loses are not a constant.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:03 PM

You ARE wrong!

The higher the hp the greater the loses. PERIOD. The powertrain loses are not a constant.
LOL not trying to get in on the name calling but I don't see how 1000rwhp loses 200rwhp
Old 05-03-2010, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hsyr
LOL not trying to get in on the name calling but I don't see how 1000rwhp loses 200rwhp
its pretty easy..... if there is something wrong with the converter
Old 05-03-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You ARE wrong!

They're not constant, but are they linear?

Interesting post on the matter:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/4446970-post8.html

Specifically from that post some quotes:

If one were to have a system with an input of 100 lb-ft at 100rpms, with an associated loss of 10 lb-ft measured at the output, this would of course represent a 10% drivetrain torque loss. If one raised the input torque to 150 lb-ft at 100rpms, one might expect the 10% loss to result in 15 lb-ft reduction at the output. In nearly all cases, this is not the result. Less than the expected 15 lb-ft will be dissipated as additional heat. This would represent an increase in rated mechanical efficiency. Why would this be observed?

It is observed because the energy dissipated, while strongly influenced by sliding friction (which itself is not a purely linear relationship to imposed loading anyway), is not solely dependent upon gear friction; which is all that has changed by adding 50 lb-ft more to the input.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

You ARE wrong!

It's not a fixed percentage. Try again little boy
Old 05-04-2010, 05:13 AM
10 Second Club

~.8 Flywheel = RWHP that is AVERAGE not specific so use it as a guess only. 350 and 9 will tend to lose more.
Good luck
I gave something for a swag. People with little to no experience want to nit pick. Well guess what have at it. It's easy to never give any information name call and always say the same bs.

Saying something is wrong is easy but not helpful if you can't discuss why it is wrong. There isn't one answer and often you must use swags that is the real world.

Good luck
Old 05-04-2010, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is my opinion:

With the drivetrain loss you will see, you will need an F1 blower to reach 700rwhp without too much boost (~15psi). If you have a D1, it's doable, but you are gonna spin the **** out of it (20-22psi).

A T76 turbo setup will easily get ya to 700rwhp @ 15-18psi (depending on the kit).

I think if 600rwhp is goal, then it is achievable with a D1 @ 15psi...

Quick Reply: Procharger with LE1 heads, how much boost......and more questions?