LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Surging ... what do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 08:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 94 Z28 that had the exact same problem. In my case, the wires were bad too, but that wasn't the cause. Turned out to be the ignition coil. Replaced that and havent had the problem since. What mine did was this: You start it, it idles fine. You drive it for 20 minutes or so, no problems until then...at that point, I could floor it and feel a surge every once in awhile. I was able to always recreate the problem with a brake torque though (just slam that brake down and floor it...if it hesitates to turn the wheels, thats what I'd check. I was thinking the same thing...why would it be this if it's only occasional....but that was it...now I'm running 100% better.

What I replaced was the plug wires, plugs, and ignition coil and that fixed it (although the main cluplrit was the ignition coil)

hope that helps you...im not too up on workin on cars, as Im a comptuer guy, but i just happened to have fixed that same exact issue last tuesday.

only difference is, mine never idled bad or anything, it was only when pressing the gas pedal (at first it only did it when gettin on the gas, then a few days later it didn't matter whether I was feathering the gas or floorin it, it did it 7 out of 10 times). I also should netion, that this was only when the engine was under a load (with the car in drive), neutral and park did not exhibit the same symptoms, in fact, it exhibited none at all.

Quick Reply: LT1 Surging ... what do you guys think?