LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Security light on, but starts, runs, drives?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Security light on, but starts, runs, drives?

Saturday night I replaced the opti on my Wife's 97 Camro with an MSD, went out to a meet. On my way to the races I noticed the security light on.

I's been on since then (key on engine off, or running). It starts, runs, and drives fine. Anyone have any ideas? I'll scan it when I get home form work to see if thiers any codes.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My old car did the same thing and eventually vats started causing the car to not crank sometimes. I never figured out if it was the key or the switch.
It's weird your car started doing it after an opti change.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:19 AM
On The Tree

sometimes mine comes on as well, but still runs. WTH?
Old 05-18-2010, 06:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
My old car did the same thing and eventually vats started causing the car to not crank sometimes. I never figured out if it was the key or the switch.
It's weird your car started doing it after an opti change.

I really dont think the opti change had anything to do with it, but I wanted to atleast include that it was done the same day. The light didn't come on immediately after doing the opti. I drove it about 40 miles to the Aftermath Performance meet. When I left there, the light was on.

I never did get a chance to scan it, hopefully later.

Are the PATS codes stored in the PCM or BCM? My old snap on "brick" scanner wont scan the BCM, but I have a tech2 at work if needed.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mpe331lx
Saturday night I replaced the opti on my Wife's 97 Camro with an MSD, went out to a meet. On my way to the races I noticed the security light on.

I's been on since then (key on engine off, or running). It starts, runs, and drives fine. Anyone have any ideas? I'll scan it when I get home form work to see if thiers any codes.
Your in "fault enable mode".

http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html
Old 05-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by shbox
Your in "fault enable mode".

Thank you!

I think I know what happened. I had the car dyno'd at the meet. When the operator was backing the car in, he put a little to much weight on the colomn and it tilted down (not his fault...it just does that). It was immidiately after leaving the shop/meet when I noticed the light.

Im willing to bet that it either pinched a wire or pulled the connector apart.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:40 AM
Teching In

Someone accidentally hurled on my dash & steering column while i was driving, soon after the security light came on.

excerpt from the page:

The lock cylinder circuit is continuously monitored. If a fault lasting 1 minute is detected, the SECURITY lamp will light. If the fault then goes away for 1 minute, the lamp will go back off.

If the system detects a fault with the lock cylinder circuit after the engine is already running, the SECURITY lamp will light. The engine will be able to be restarted. This is called “fault enable mode”. (The system saw a good reading from the key at one point during a previous ignition cycle before the failure. So, it considers it a problem and not someone trying to steal the car.) When in fault enable mode, PASSKey protection is disabled until the problem is repaired. Once repaired, the SECURITY lamp will go out about 1 minute after the key is turned on. Fault enable mode will not shut down the engine while you are driving.

Cant be rolling around with my anti-theft inoperable so,

Got some q tips and some 91% rubbing alcohol and cleaned/dried out the key & key cylinder.

Problem fixed.

Last edited by DragonBlood; 07-12-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem a long time ago, i replaced the column, new key and the light was still on but the car ran perfect for 5 more years...

Quick Reply: Security light on, but starts, runs, drives?