LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How much coil resistance is too much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Default How much coil resistance is too much?

I've been feeling out a slight occasional part throttle stumble lately and I suspected the aftermarket ICM I used (needed at last minute during December build, planned to replace it anyway). 2x it stumbled like hell taking of from a stop recently, all but cut off (bucked and shook like a dog shitting peach seeds). Today it cut off and wouldn't start back after about 25 minutes of varied throttle driving.

I went ahead and snagged a real D1986A ICM and I'm testing the coil with a meter, per method at Rob B's site: http://www.shbox.com/1/coil_testing.jpg.

I'm getting 9.79k ohms at all 4 corners of the connector (coil is now cold after I walked 2 miles home, drove my DD to my friend's parts store, back to the house. This coil is an Accel 140011. Its advertised specs are:

Primary Resistance 0.300 ohms
Maximum Voltage 48,000 V
Turns Ratio 134:1
Secondary Resistance 8.8K ohms

My gut says replace it as well... what do you guys think?
Old 05-22-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on your measurements it sounds like it's shorted.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

His is actually "less shorted" than a stock coil.

OP: The winding continuity test is more for making sure there are no obvious opens in the coil. It is not a definitive test to prove a coil good or bad. Various manufacturers will have varying resistances for their coils. Coils resistance can also change when they get hot/during operation. Try another coil and see what happens, if that is where you gut is leading you.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did get a temporary one to use (5526 streetfire since it was cheap and available locally, buddy didn't have the Delco in stock). Installing it I found the 'real' problem. A broken pin on the black half of the connector... far enough in the coil I didn't see it until I really looked. I crossed my fingers since I didn't have a wiring diagram to show me what I was missing on the roadside. It fired and ran. I counted my stars and parked it. Off to LKQ in the morning to grab the pigtail from an LT1 B body I saw there week before last. Hope it's still there.

Pico Wire makes both of the halves. Black half is 5632PT, Grey half is 5633PT. Only saw a couple places carrying them online, only wanted $2.95 each. Nook & Tranny has the grey one only and wants $20.00 for it.

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to help me out. Looking forward to how it'll run with that fixed.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gojira94
bucked and shook like a dog shitting peach seeds
Old 05-23-2010, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, how I felt when I quit drinking Wild Turkey...

If it ever helps anybody searching, part numbers for the pigtails are as follows:

Pico Wiring 5632pt = 12101896 = Delco pt166 (grey one)

Pico Wiring 5633pt = 88860464 = Delco pt1909 (black one)

Rain kept me out of the boneyard today, so trying again for connectors tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have to correct my own bad info based on a false assumption:

Only 3 of the 4 coil body holes are used on a 93-95 V8 F car. What I saw looking like a broken off pin in the coil is in fact a hole that never had anything inserted into it, hence the appearance that it was blocked by a broken off pin. Unwrapping the tube/ tape around my coil pigtails, I discovered only 3 wires. Well, I have an extra pair of pigtails from a 94 Fleetwood now. They use all 4 connectors. Looks like 96-97 cars only use 2 of the 4 connectors if I'm reading the diagram right.

Had a good time in the boneyard and got a cherry condition Opti vacuum harness while I was at it. Looked like this Caddy was a garage queen that got totalled a week after it got a tune up.

I still feel dumb. Can I get a facepalm?

BTW, it still runs a lot better with a Delco ICM and lower resistance coil. Now looking at fuel pressure as a companion culprit to my mild driveability symptoms. Not sure I did the fuel filter when I changed out the pump. Can I get a double facepalm?

Quick Reply: How much coil resistance is too much?