LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 water pump going out what kind of water pump should i go with help!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it doesn't say remaned and there is no core that makes me think its new. I have had that wp in my car for two years now after replacing my 3 month old advanced auto WP. im almost positive the box even said new on it. even if it is a reman unit I would bet my pink slip that its still better quality then the autozone unit. every time I buy a part from a chain parts store it craps out in under a rear with the exception of napa. just my opinion.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok you have convinced me LOL. I will get the Delco.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

hahahaha...a few years back I built a ford 302 and got all the new sensors from pep boys. I had to replace just about all of them within a year...lol...swore I would never buy another part from them places. wmy water pump on my Camaro went out on a sunday and I needed the car the next day so said screw it and got one from advanced....yeah that one didn't last long. about a year ago I was on a road trip and my alternator went it just so happened when it broke there was a pep boys right there so I swapped it out in there parking lot. I had problems with that alternator since day 1. with everything going radio, ac, defrost, etc my volt gauge would sit righ above the red danger mark the bearings went on that a few months later. just two weeks ago I did my breaks got all top of the line stuff from rockauto. the new pads didn't come with the hardware so I said screw it I will just get it from advanced its cheap sheet metal hardware how could the screw it up....lol...it didn't fit right and they were rubbing on the rotors making this god awful grinding noise. threw some ac delco hardware in there and bam no noise. I have never ever had any issues with original manufacturers parts and when you think about it when you have to do everything twice you really didn't save a dime you wasted money. just my 2 cents
Old 05-04-2014, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I will say for Autozone is that Duralast brake rotors seem to be very good quality. I always use those on my cars and never have problems with warping.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula413
I saw the Delco unit on Rock Auto but I believe that is a reman, while AZ has a new one for the same price. All things being equal I'd rather not go reman unless the quality is still better.

Actually what the weep hole mod refers to is threading a nipple into the weep hole and attaching some tubing to keep any coolant that leaks out from getting on the opti. I may do that too.
That is a fantastic idea.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Formula413
Thanks for the info, I think I'll probably stay mechanical. I saw that Autozone has a new non reman unit for $100. Ordinarily I'd be skeptical of that but a friend of mine says he has been running one for two years without issue. Anyone tried one of these?

Also someone mentioned a weep hole mod, does anyone know what that is?
I've been using a reman autozone pump for at least 6 years with no problems.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

like i said its hit or miss with them chain stores for me its always a miss and it sucks having to do the same job twice. but for the same price why not go with the delco part its built better all the way around
Old 05-05-2014, 01:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

it really comes down to the rebuild shop doing them. I don't know who rebuilds the "AC Delco" ones or if that place in even in USA. FWIW I have had good luck with "new" wp's from NAPA vs other chain stores.

but I went EWP 16 years ago on the LT1....that pump has far outlasted any AC Delco "new" pumps that were on before that

Quick Reply: Lt1 water pump going out what kind of water pump should i go with help!!