LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

McLeod Street Twin users....

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through the same **** 2 years ago, it's very frustating. I bought a clutch from Byunspeed, got the clutch but no master, they offered me a small refund for not getting the master.

Mcleod was designing their 2nd generation master and couldn't give a delivery date, so I got on the internet and found a brand new 1st generation master but didn't really trust it because of the problems everyone was having with them. The day after I ordered the Mcleod master Tick announced they were selling a one for the LS1 F-body so I contacted them and they said they could make up one to work on my LT1. I waited as long as I could for them to deliver and finally broke down and installed the Mcleod.

15,000 miles later my Mcleod is still working great and I have an expensive Tick back up with a $20 revised mounting bracket and a sticky note from them asking me to let them know if it works so they can start selling it as a kit for the LT1.

The Street Twin is a great clutch, I don't understand why Mcleod can't come up with a master to go with it, or maybe they should just team up with Tick and sell a package.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any truth to the rumor that there really is no difference between the LS1 master vs LT1? I always heard the only difference between the two was the slaves.

I recently installed a street twin for a friend, he bought it used and the adj master needed to be rebuilt. I sent the master off to McCleod after talking with Fred and in the mean time I went ahead and installed the clutch and just used his stock master. I drove the car for a week before giving it back to him and never had one reason to feel that the stock master wasn't doing the job. Pedal engagement was also spot on. I just received the adj master back from McCleod and we are contemplating whether or not to even install it or just leave it on the shelf until/if we see a problem with the stock master.

I was very happy working with Fred on getting the master rebuilt and he also made it so I can use a standard Willwood rebuilt kit from now on. Plus, he machined an extra rod for me due to my concern that I would not be able to get one in the future if needed since they discontinued this master. Billy was also a great help when I had questions about the clearances and how to align all the disks, floater, and pressure plate since the marks were no longer visible. All this on a used clutch that wasn't purchased from them. I have nothing but good things to say about McCleod and they will get my business again in the future.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garage_queen
any truth to the rumor that there really is no difference between the LS1 master vs LT1? I always heard the only difference between the two was the slaves.

I recently installed a street twin for a friend, he bought it used and the adj master needed to be rebuilt. I sent the master off to McCleod after talking with Fred and in the mean time I went ahead and installed the clutch and just used his stock master. I drove the car for a week before giving it back to him and never had one reason to feel that the stock master wasn't doing the job. Pedal engagement was also spot on. I just received the adj master back from McCleod and we are contemplating whether or not to even install it or just leave it on the shelf until/if we see a problem with the stock master.

I was very happy working with Fred on getting the master rebuilt and he also made it so I can use a standard Willwood rebuilt kit from now on. Plus, he machined an extra rod for me due to my concern that I would not be able to get one in the future if needed since they discontinued this master. Billy was also a great help when I had questions about the clearances and how to align all the disks, floater, and pressure plate since the marks were no longer visible. All this on a used clutch that wasn't purchased from them. I have nothing but good things to say about McCleod and they will get my business again in the future.
The stock LS1 and LT1 master cylinders are exactly the same. I'm actually running an adjustable ram "LS1" master cylinder on my car.

Quick Reply: McLeod Street Twin users....