LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Gatorback Serp Belt...anyone? anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a duralast that squealed like crazy. Put the gaterback on and it has been fine so far.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced my belt last year because it was squealing, and replaced it with a gates. The gates has slipped a handful of times under heavy acceleration since i put it on, so i am going to steer clear of those-thats why im looking to replace it. had no idea this was going to be such a can of worms
Old 06-05-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dayco squeals like hell
Old 06-06-2010, 01:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
I replaced my belt last year because it was squealing, and replaced it with a gates. The gates has slipped a handful of times under heavy acceleration since i put it on, so i am going to steer clear of those-thats why im looking to replace it. had no idea this was going to be such a can of worms
Have you replaced your belt tensioner? Because it sounds to me like that is the real problem here.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
I am not saying that Gatorback AND other similarly constructed belts (with crosscut/cooling grooves DO cause static.....or that they will cause trouble. I'm just passing on information I was given about what Ford technicians supposedly found out.
The FORD engines you are refering to have an external crank sensor and a toothed ring on the backside of the balancer. All GM are internal so no worries there. I'd find it hard to believe their static story but hey anything is possible.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thehammer69
Have you replaced your belt tensioner? Because it sounds to me like that is the real problem here.
Thats what the Dayco salesman tried to tell me. Guess what I didn't change the tensioner and the Goodyear is running smooth for more miles than the Dayco crap was on there.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

I highly recommend the Gatorback. I bought one used about two years ago, maybe even longer than that, and I just recently started having a very minor squeak a couple times a day. I noticed a small piece about an inch long and around 1cm into the belt missing a couple days ago. Not sure if it was because of age/use or something I may have done but I just ordered a new one in fear that it may break one of these days soon..
Old 07-25-2010, 05:11 PM

I have a LT1 in my rock buggy and for a year and half I've been searching for engine problems.

Late the other night we were looking at the motor in the pitch black of the barn while it ran and saw a 3/8" arc going from the belt to a bolt near the distributor. I have no idea what brand belt it is but it is not coming from the metal pulley this arc is defiantly coming from the rubber belt.
We assume this is a static charge

Could this be me year long intermittent problem I have changed every part looking for???

Before all you nay sayers answer think about this.
Have you ever sat in a dark barn and looked at you motor while running? My buggy is very open to the motor from all angles so we can see alot of the motor most could never see with a grill and fenders in the way. Think about how hard this would be to diagnose on a car and how mnay problems over the years it would explain.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

the gator belt is nice but a little to tight, sometimes it makes my starter jump sometimes. I tested it buy taking the belt off and car starts right up with no problems
Old 07-25-2010, 08:29 PM

Static- my belt was not a Gatorback and did not have cross cuts but it did have a tiny bit of "fringe" off the back edge which was where it was arcing. I just replaced it and it seems to have cleaned up the motor.
I have no idea why one belt might do this and not another and after 1.5 years this just made the motor run great for the longest period of time and YES I tested the new belt and it is not making the same arc.

WEIRD
Old 07-26-2010, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had a Goodyear Gatorback belt on my Chevy C1500 for 59k and it still looks good, but I just replaced it with another Gatorback for time change. They are good belts but are hard to find locally.

Quick Reply: Gatorback Serp Belt...anyone? anyone?