LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Gatorback Serp Belt...anyone? anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010 | 02:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gatorback Serp Belt...anyone? anyone?

I've heard good things about the Goodyear gatorback serp belts. My question is Is there a sponsor on here that stocks these? I like to support sponsors on here when I can. (If not this exact belt is there something comperable? Feel free to discuss experiences good or bad with these belts-my searches didn't yield much.)

Thanks
Old 06-04-2010 | 06:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one. Its a belt, not much more to say about it......

bought it from checkers auto parts locally. I believe advanced auto also sells them. not sure about the sponsors.
Old 06-04-2010 | 06:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always get them autzone usually has the best prices on them
Old 06-04-2010 | 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
I have one. Its a belt, not much more to say about it......

bought it from checkers auto parts locally. I believe advanced auto also sells them. not sure about the sponsors.
Kind of what I figured as far as "performance" but no news is good news I geuss.

I know they aren't hard to find, I can order one from many places. I was just seeing if a sponsor for ls1tech sold them, because I like to support them when I can.
Old 06-04-2010 | 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Got mine from Summit, I think they are a sponsor now.
Old 06-04-2010 | 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got rid of my crappy squealing Dayco belt in favour of the Goodyear. For the record the Dayco was put on last summer driven 1000 miles and then parked for the winter. When I took it off it still had the form of being on the pulleys. Never had that problem with a Goodyear that I used for the last 6 years.
Old 06-04-2010 | 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Got my gator back from Kragen.
Old 06-04-2010 | 02:36 PM
Launching!

I have found Gates belts to be better than Goodyears. I know O'reilleys and Bumper to bumper carries Gates. Also Napa branded belts are just repackaged Gates.
Old 06-04-2010 | 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW:
I don't know if I would run a gatorback......or any other brand belt that has "cross-cut" ribs on a LT1. I found out that Ford kept having mysterious crank sensor problems on some vehicles that was eventually traced back to static electricity build up caused by gatorback belts. The local dealership absolutely will not install them on anything with a crank sensor....yet they prefer them to other brands on everything else. I'd never heard of that before or thought about it being possible, but it makes sense that it could happen. If this is so, then I'd bet the static could lead to problems not only on 96-97 models with crank pos sensors, but also problems with the opti-sparks on all our LT1's. Even on the 24x EFI Connection conversions and LS motors I'd think.
Of course this could all be a bunch of crap, but it kinda makes sense that it could happen. Just to be safe, I'm not going to use one myself.
Old 06-04-2010 | 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have one on my car..it works fine!
Old 06-04-2010 | 10:32 PM
TECH Junkie

I have a gates now, its a year old and it slips...
Old 06-04-2010 | 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Gatorback = Crap. I had one may years ago on my T/A and it decided to come apart on my at 70mph on the highway. Took out my compressor at the same time by wrapping around the pulley and clutch and destroying the comp clutch. I will never put one on my car again. Just my .02!!!!
Old 06-04-2010 | 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
FWIW:
I don't know if I would run a gatorback......or any other brand belt that has "cross-cut" ribs on a LT1. I found out that Ford kept having mysterious crank sensor problems on some vehicles that was eventually traced back to static electricity build up caused by gatorback belts. The local dealership absolutely will not install them on anything with a crank sensor....yet they prefer them to other brands on everything else. I'd never heard of that before or thought about it being possible, but it makes sense that it could happen. If this is so, then I'd bet the static could lead to problems not only on 96-97 models with crank pos sensors, but also problems with the opti-sparks on all our LT1's. Even on the 24x EFI Connection conversions and LS motors I'd think.
Of course this could all be a bunch of crap, but it kinda makes sense that it could happen. Just to be safe, I'm not going to use one myself.
Originally Posted by DAVE00
Gatorback = Crap. I had one may years ago on my T/A and it decided to come apart on my at 70mph on the highway. Took out my compressor at the same time by wrapping around the pulley and clutch and destroying the comp clutch. I will never put one on my car again. Just my .02!!!!
Been running a Gatoback for over 10 years. Obviously no problem with "static" or destruction.
Old 06-05-2010 | 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DAVE00
It's more likely that your pulley on your compressor was starting to lock up and you didn't know it and it shredded your belt. Whenever a belt shreds it is usually because a pulley is starting to drag. They don't always warn you by squealing.
Old 06-05-2010 | 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dubga
It's more likely that your pulley on your compressor was starting to lock up and you didn't know it and it shredded your belt.
Doubtful since the car only had 20K on the clock. Gatorbacks have been known to stretch (google it) and cause issues with fitment.
Old 06-05-2010 | 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1961ba427
FWIW:
Maybe you just solved the big mystery why some people complain that optis are crap and some people never have one go out. The people who can't keep them running are using Gatorback belt!!
Old 06-05-2010 | 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

wow...lol, have I opened up a can of worms or what? now im undecided...i geuss there probably isnt a "fail" proof serp belt tho...
Old 06-05-2010 | 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I replaced an old belt with a gatorback, because I had one on my old camaro and it never squeaked, but for some reason it got a big split in it from I don't know what. I noticed it while looking at something else under the hood, thankfully it was visible on the top of the alt, otherwise I would not have noticed for some time or until it tore completely. I replaced that with a gates 6 months ago, no more tears so it's probably not a pulley or anything, the belt was bad I think.
Old 06-05-2010 | 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am not saying that Gatorback AND other similarly constructed belts (with crosscut/cooling grooves DO cause static.....or that they will cause trouble. I'm just passing on information I was given about what Ford technicians supposedly found out. Of course, they are the same ones who blamed all the Ford Explorer rollovers on Firestone too. LOL
Most of the other failures...splitting/breakage/etc. that were mentioned above, I have seen or heard from most all belt brands. I honestly couldn't tell you what brand is even on my car. I bought the car a few months back and the belt looks good, i.e. no cracks or dry rot visible....so I just left well enough alone.
If I were buying one right now I'd probably get a kelly springfield (also reboxed as Duralast belts) since that is what we sell, AND they are made by Goodyear who owns Kelly tires. They don't have to extra grooves though. Like I said above....it may be a load of crap....especially considering the source (Ford). But I'd rather not chance it personally when I know standard style belts can last for years.
Old 06-05-2010 | 04:39 PM
hashtagBMW

I have one on the racecar, not really anything special about it since its a serpintine belt but it was $35 or so two years ago.

Quick Reply: Gatorback Serp Belt...anyone? anyone?