LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Does anyone know how to use mr gasket rocker arm oil deflectors for rocker adj

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done it both ways my rockers are loud anyways but you can do it without the valvecovers. I did and no oil sprayed out with the engine running.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Let me restate this....I get the lifters adjusted closely, with the car running quietly, FULLY warmed up, so ALL parts have "heat expanded" as much as they are going to. I then back off the adjusting nut (I use poly-locks) until I hear the lifter start to "click" a little. I then SLOWLY turn the nut down JUST UNTIL the clicking stops, and snug the locking screw. I do this to ALL 16 of the lifters. Then I shut the engine off, go back and put a small dot of paint on the poly lock nut at the "12 o'clock" position, just for reference, then add whatever preload I want...1/8 turn, 1/4 turn, etc.

It's really quite simple, even though the extended cowl of a 4th gen F-body makes it a little awkward on the back 4 cylinders, and I've been doing it this way for close to 40 years........
I agree.....this is the way I do hydraulic lifters too. I do know how to set lifters with the engine not running. From hydraulics, to solid flat tappets & solid rollers with lash settings (hot & cold)....and even with stud girdles figuring in...which makes everything more work. I still think this is the best and most accurate way to do hydraulics. Cut up an old valve cover and that eliminates the mess. Sure beats any type of cold lash stuff or running the engine til warm....then shutting down and pulling valve cover to do one side...then repeat. To me, that is more of a hassle/mess.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:17 AM
Resident Racing Jerk

so how do you set them initially to get the car to fire up and run? and is it making noise before you set them while its running?
Old 06-14-2010, 06:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vtec
so how do you set them initially to get the car to fire up and run? and is it making noise before you set them while its running?
In those instances, I have resorted to the "spin the pushrod" or the "up and down" with the pushrod method. However, at least in my experience, it doesn't get you where you need to be. I installed a different set of lifters in my car a couple of months ago. The intake was off, so I could look at the plunger of the lifter, and see when it showed a hint of movement, then add a 1/4 turn of preload. Even so, when I started it up, it was noisy as all hell.

At that point, I added another 1/4 turn, which quieted it down somewhat, let it run and fully warm up, then set them as I've described above.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Resident Racing Jerk

In those instances, I have resorted to the "spin the pushrod" or the "up and down" with the pushrod method. However, at least in my experience, it doesn't get you where you need to be. I installed a different set of lifters in my car a couple of months ago. The intake was off, so I could look at the plunger of the lifter, and see when it showed a hint of movement, then add a 1/4 turn of preload. Even so, when I started it up, it was noisy as all hell.

At that point, I added another 1/4 turn, which quieted it down somewhat, let it run and fully warm up, then set them as I've described above.
1/4 turn isnt enough, they need more than that. if you wanted to get fancy with it, you could put a dial indicator on the rocker as you tighten the polylock. you could then measure how far the plunger is being pushed into the lifter. if it takes 3/4 turn to get there, then you can do that for all the rest of them. should be able to look up the suggested preload for your lifters.
you could also factor in the heat expansion of the engine. can change your lash .005-.020" or so between cold and hot.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Glad that I was able to help.....I remember that discussion. Was it THAT long ago??? WOW!!
Yea tell me about it, time is flying!!!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really don't understand why people have so much trouble adjusting their rockers. I did mine when I did the h/c install by the spin the pushrod method and haven't touched the valvetrain since. I did 1/2 turn preload on ls7 lifters IIRC and it pulls to the 7k limiter without any issues.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

More material as to why Comp R's get a bad rap...
Old 06-14-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SS RRR
More material as to why Comp R's get a bad rap...
Well, I'd have to look back at the satck of oil filter boxtops in my glove compartment, with the oil change date/mileage written on them to get an exact date, but I had my 875Rs in for either 6 or 7 years, and probably 10-12,000 miles. I took me a while to prefect their adjustment, but once I got them there, they worked OK. However, since I heard the "scare stories" about them blowing apart, and since I hardly twist the motor, and since even when properly adjusted, they are a little noisy, I decided to remove them. I was taking the intake manifold off, as it was due for it's "3-4 year gasket/RTV change", it made the decision to swap the lifters a lot easier....

Maybe I can sell the lifters.....
Old 06-14-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Veteran

1/4 turn isnt enough, they need more than that. if you wanted to get fancy with it, you could put a dial indicator on the rocker as you tighten the polylock...
I realize that 1/4 turn wasn't enough, however that was just for a starting point, so I could get the engine fired up. I actually consideded using a dial indicator directly on the lifter plunger, but I didn't have the correct extension to be able to reach down to the lifter from the head, and my magnetic stand just wouldn't stick well enough to the valley of the block....
Old 06-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Village Troll

Received 536 Likes on 388 Posts

Maybe I can sell the lifters.....
Good luck with that. I have a set I bought just because of the retarded pictures I saw where people were blaming the lifters when you could plainly see how pushrods walked off the lifters and beat the retainer clips to ****. Ran them w/ my GM847 cam for 10K miles. No problems. Still have them. Look as good as new.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Good luck with that. I have a set I bought just because of the retarded pictures I saw where people were blaming the lifters when you could plainly see how pushrods walked off the lifters and beat the retainer clips to ****. Ran them w/ my GM847 cam for 10K miles. No problems. Still have them. Look as good as new.

I know what you mean. People were talking about them "flying apart". If the lifter is reasonably well adjusted, the pushrod is firmly held in place by the lifter's plunger, and the rocker arm's seat, therefore holding everything place. How could anything fly apart, under "normal" circumstances, of course.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Resident Racing Jerk

if you adjust them to 1/8 turn or whatever, it may become 0 lash/preload once the engine gets warmed up. i can see why so many people have problems with the comps.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

I realize that 1/4 turn wasn't enough, however that was just for a starting point, so I could get the engine fired up. I actually consideded using a dial indicator directly on the lifter plunger, but I didn't have the correct extension to be able to reach down to the lifter from the head, and my magnetic stand just wouldn't stick well enough to the valley of the block....
I, too, wonder why so many have so many problems in setting lifter preload and end up aggravating over it so much. Seems that everyday, on one Forum or another, someone posts about setting preload problems.

I sent mine (using the IC/EO method) with the engine on the stand, button everything up and install the engine in the car. Then with only enough running time to set the timing (on engines that require that), and change the oil/filter head straight to the nearest roadway or starting line.

Is it the result of lack of reading comprehension? Lack of understanding what's trying to be accomplished? Reading too many differing views? All of the above,???

As you can tell by now, there are several different ways to adjust lifter preload. Now if you take every way known to modern man and list them in the order of their priority (From least error prone/accurate/most often recommended by cam companies, credible engine builders, magazine editors, etc., TO the most difficult, etc.), you'll find that the Intake Closing/Exhaust Opening method will be at the top of the list and using a dial indicator at the very bottom.

Even Pro Stock racers use the IC/EO method - it's just instead of setting preload they set lash (clearance). Finding true Zero lash remains the same.

I recommend you do yourself a BIG favor and skip resorting to the use of a dial indicator. That procedure is Way Over The Top and is a perfect example of over-thinking an issue. By the time you finish using that procedure you'll probably wish you'd never seen a hydraulic cam.

Just my view.

Jake
Old 06-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Resident Racing Jerk

Originally Posted by JAKEJR
I, too, wonder why so many have so many problems in setting lifter preload and end up aggravating over it so much. Seems that everyday, on one Forum or another, someone posts about setting preload problems.

I sent mine (using the IC/EO method) with the engine on the stand, button everything up and install the engine in the car. Then with only enough running time to set the timing (on engines that require that), and change the oil/filter head straight to the nearest roadway or starting line.

Is it the result of lack of reading comprehension? Lack of understanding what's trying to be accomplished? Reading too many differing views? All of the above,???

As you can tell by now, there are several different ways to adjust lifter preload. Now if you take every way known to modern man and list them in the order of their priority (From least error prone/accurate/most often recommended by cam companies, credible engine builders, magazine editors, etc., TO the most difficult, etc.), you'll find that the Intake Closing/Exhaust Opening method will be at the top of the list and using a dial indicator at the very bottom.

Even Pro Stock racers use the IC/EO method - it's just instead of setting preload they set lash (clearance). Finding true Zero lash remains the same.

I recommend you do yourself a BIG favor and skip resorting to the use of a dial indicator. That procedure is Way Over The Top and is a perfect example of over-thinking an issue. By the time you finish using that procedure you'll probably wish you'd never seen a hydraulic cam.

Just my view.

Jake
not sure if im reading you right or not, but the dial indicator is not a means of locating the base circle of the cam (such as ic/eo method). the dial indicator is used to tell you how much the plunger is going down in the lifter. that way you can be certain how much preload there actually is.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

not sure if im reading you right or not, but the dial indicator is not a means of locating the base circle of the cam (such as ic/eo method). the dial indicator is used to tell you how much the plunger is going down in the lifter. that way you can be certain how much preload there actually is.
I agree!

Whenever I hear people refer to the IC/EO menthod, they're referring to the setting of solid lifter cams. I think most of the discussion here, if not all of it, is concerning hydraulic lifter cams.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Resident Racing Jerk

I agree!

Whenever I hear people refer to the IC/EO menthod, they're referring to the setting of solid lifter cams. I think most of the discussion here, if not all of it, is concerning hydraulic lifter cams.
ic/eo will work for solid AND hydraulic. it is simply a means of putting the lifter on the base circle of the cam so you can set it.
once your on the base circle you will do one of the following:
solid cam- use feeler gages to set lash according to the cam card.
hydro cam- run polylock down to zero lash, then add your 1/2 turn or however much preload that is required for a given lifter. if you have the exact specs, you could then use a dial indicator to put it right on the money. if it takes 3/4 turn to get you there, then thats what youll need to use on all the other rockers. (3/4 turn)

Quick Reply: Does anyone know how to use mr gasket rocker arm oil deflectors for rocker adj