LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Shredding drive Belt!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Shredding drive Belt!

So the car is running great other than shredding drive belts. I have shredded four belts so far, the first few I messed with a few things I thought might have been rubbing on the belt, and that seemed to make the belts last a few miles longer. Each belt lasts about 3 miles. Today I put another one on, cranked it up and watched it idle. Looked fine, so I grabbed the throttle body blade and gave it a little gas. I noticed that the engine is actually trying to rip the alternator and PS pump off of the accessory bracket. I'm guessing this is putting premature strain on the belt and making it shred.

I can't image that I have added anymore than 80HP from stock with full bolt ons, and a fresh topend rebuild/head port. Anyone else had this happen?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Pic of one of the belts may hold a clue. Also, if there's that much visible strain, there's a tension problem. Probably leads to it throwing the belt, shredding ensues. Part # of the belt you're using? any pulley mods/ relocations you've done? With the belt off, does the P/S pulley spin fairly easily? How does the tensioner feel? Spin freely and have smooth tension? Is the bracket bolted on tight?

Edit: any P/S noise? Try turning the wheel to its stops L&R and see if you get noise or a lot of visible shuddering at the alt-P/S pump area.

Last edited by Gojira94; 06-21-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Shredding drive Belt!