LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

15000 miles to an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010 | 06:51 AM
Z71
Teching In

Originally Posted by dubga
Call me an old fart, but in 31 years of driving, and 10 cars, putting from 50k to 160k miles on each one, I have always used nothing but dino oil and changed it every 3-5k miles. I have never, ever had an internal engine problem with a single vehicle I have owned. I just don't see what the extra money of synthetics gets me that I don't already have.
Call me an old fart but in over 30 yrs of driving and 10 cars and trucks I have always used nothing but synthetic oil and high quality filters changing oil once a year no matter what the miles are. I have never ever had a single engine problem with any vehicle I have ever owned running synthetic oil. I just don't see what the extra oil changes accomplish but spend money foolishly and help the oil companies sell more oil.

All kidding aside, this is 100% true. So I basically accomplished the same thing as this fella did and if we were able could go back and compare, I bet I spent a whole lot less money than he did with better results like improved mpg, better hot and cold temperature performance and not contributing to the abuse of natural resources. The first time I poured synthetic oil in my engine was in 1975 and since then have never bought anything else.

The biggest myth is the often-recommended 3,000-mile / three-month oil change. Unfortunately, there are market forces that have a vested interest in convincing vehicle owners to change their oil more often than necessary. The legal prey of these market forces have become convinced that they are purchasing "cheap insurance" or "peace of mind" by changing their oil more often than necessary. Complicating things is the fact that doing oil changes is one of the few do-it-yourself maintenance tasks that is still within the ability of the backyard mechanic to perform. The 3000 mile oil change interval has been pounded into people's heads for decades. It had a scientific basis when engines used non-multi-weight, non-detergent oil. It no longer has any scientific basis, but it is still being promoted by certain entities, most notably the oil change industry in the United States. This myth is also sometimes known as the "Cheap Insurance Myth."

Synthetic oils withstand higher temperatures before breaking down, and have more base stock and less viscosity modifiers.

The American Petroleum Institute states that more than 1 billion gallons of motor oil are sold each year in the U.S. Of this, about 185 million gallons of used motor oil are disposed of improperly each year – dumped onto the ground, tossed into the trash or poured down the drain, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Last edited by Z71; 06-27-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 06-27-2010 | 06:55 AM
Village Troll
20 Year Member

I didn't use an actual mix of the two for one change. I used one or the other. No reason to be curious. You can go ahead and save your money. I don't feel right with any oil being in an engine of mine for over 3000 or 5000 for a synthetic. Especially one that sees 7000rpm often.

Quick Reply: 15000 miles to an oil change?