10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

15 degree heads and a hydraulic cam...... oh boy
Old 07-13-2010, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Yeah I thought about that!

Originally Posted by duh
there are plenty of 600+ FWHP LSx cars prowling the streets of chi-town. 600 FWHP isn't much more then 450 RWHP.....give or take. Finding a wrecked running LSx powered car would be a cheaper and faster way to get to the 600 hp mark within your budget......
Believe me I have thought of that. My speed mechanic is pushing the LSx conversion concept and it is much easier now than is was two years ago. Granted that outfits like Street Performance makes a nice kit for the B-Body.
But it is alot more involved than people think.

Like which accessory drive to use? The 4th Gen F-body, the Vette or the truck? Problems in hooking up a workable AC and power sterring unit. Remember this is for a DD. I am not getting into the wiring harness issues.

This one issue when it comes to LSx conversion that no seems to talk about much is the transplant LSx engine itself. What is its history ??How many mile does it really has. How was it maintained??

You see you can't in could conscience just pluck in an unknown engine in a car that you and your family are going to ride in without a good engine rebuild. Even in that last episode of Horsepower TV they went about how to do a total rebuild of a late model Mopar 5.7 liter Hemi coming out of a wrecked Chrysler product into a muscle car. That where the cost really goes up.

I have come to the conclusion that is is easier to build a rad LTx than to change all those ancillary components.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

thw 18 degree stuff you could do but you would have to run a little valve an same with a 15 degree head.then you would kill the power of what it should be due to that fact..you could try an notch the tops of the bores to fit a lil larger valve in it..remember the sb2.2 heads are a 12 degree head an n2o daves heads had like a 2.15 intake which is small for a sb2.2 head an even small for 18 degree heads..just keep that in mind its not like your using a 4.155-4.20 bore your working with a 4.03

Quick Reply: Using 18* (or 15*) SBC heads on a LT1